It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i got a new shotgun....pics...few general questions

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Congrats! Must be a shotgun buying day as I just picked up a 12g 870.

Have you looked at Armslist.com? Its a place for individual sales of firearms and other things. Sometimes you can find a pretty good deal in your local area and see the weapon before you buy.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Feltrick

have not looked at any sited mentioned.
been prepping the bird for tomorrow

gonna sit down soon and dive in

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Don't get too fussy with ammo. It is merely a shotgun (and evidently purchased for protecting since you don't seem to be a wouldbe hunter of any type.

Go to the cheapest outfit in town that sells ammo. They will have tons of and there will be no need to order it from anywhere. Ammon with shipping charges will exceed the cost per box of any ammo you can get locally. For self protection, you can't beat 00buck shot. Stay away from slugs. That makes the shotgun into a virtual rifle and not nice for home defense.

You can get silly with add-ons. One thing that I would recommend would be a magnetic or clip on high-visibility front sight. Great for low-light situations, cost about 15 bucks and won't encumber the weapon. Plan to keep that key on your person and practice unlocking the gun even in the dark.

Decide early on you plan of action, simmple shoot somebody that breaks into your house or scare them away? Shooting them may have a long list of expensive consequences. Personally, I advise you to leave the chamber empty and rack a shell in if you hear suspicious noises. That sound means you mean business, any fool that does not vacate at that sound deserves what they get.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

thats the shells i got. the dude said its a pretty good, middle of the road type ammo.
im not a hunter. not a target or skeet shooter. this is strictly for home defense.

i have the gun loaded, but not racked. the safety is on and the trigger lock is on.
so the steps would be, lock off, rack, safety off, bang.

thats the theory anyway....

as far as shooting or scaring...
my stats has stand your ground laws. if someone if in my house, or making their way through my window, i would be within my rights to chop them down.

as a quick back story, when i was 7 my house got broken into...it was horrific. mom and dad were pistol whipped..blood everywhere.....it looked like a serious murder scene. blood everywhere.
that has always stuck with me.

ive told myself my entire life i wont be a victim. i have a wife and daughter and i need to protect them.

having said all that, id like to think if someone was trying to get in my house or actually was in my house i would be able to cut them down no problem...thats my plan anyway.
no point in just trying to scare someone in my house...only option is to end them...

now having said that, im human...while i dont really care about people in general, im not a maniac...i get scared. i panic...i dont know how easy something like that would be for me.
id like to think it would be easy...i cant say for sure....

im not saying i would be able to cut them down and then sleep like a baby that night...for all i know it would screw me up big time....

all i know is i have a family to protect and one way or the other, if someone wants to get to them theyre going to have to go through me....
thats pretty much my thoughts on it

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

SRM 1216 Tactical shotgun. I like this one. 16-round 12 gauge semiautomatic ...quick fire devastation...and easy to get...not super expensive either!

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

i would like to get one of those strips that attach to the shotgun and holds x amount of shells.
im going to start digging through the links on the first page now

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

you can get them everywhere...get one for each side of your stock...and they come in 4-6-8 a side strips...thats a lot of ready ammo!

you can also make them yourself with hardware store strips of selfstick velcro

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I feel like $2500 for a shotgun is a little expensive...

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Congratulations Grovit! First gun I bought was a shotgun too. I was 18 and picked up a Mossberg 500 for $125. Was in pretty darn good condition too, just a few cosmetic rough spots. Regret not still owning it.

I don't know a thing about buying guns online. Looks like some other members have you covered though.

If you decide to buy another gun, make it a Glock. I think everyone's first pistol should be a Glock 19 (after maybe a .22). Reliable as f#, easy to shoot, easy manual of arms, 9mm is relatively cheap, it's got enough power behind it, it's small enough for concealed carry, long enough to be accurate out a ways, there's a huge aftermarket, magazines are cheap, low bore axis minimizes recoil, fits the hand nice (and the later generations have adjustable backstraps). Incredibly easy to clean, but so reliable you barely have to (you should anyway). I've had two and put many a round through them. Never an issue. OK one issue, but it was the incredibly crappy ammo I was using. They're also pretty darn cheap to pick up all things considered. I can't remember what I paid for mine new. I think it was a little over $500.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TiedDestructor

snap man.
that guns america has some nice pieces...

i like these dudes

www.gunsamerica.com...

www.gunsamerica.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

ill have to start looking.
ive got that settlement so i have a few bucks to spend...
i admit, some of these guns are sweet.

i like the look of the wheel guns though

i like this sig

www.gunsamerica.com...

i might be in trouble....i could see myself getting crazy and buying an arsenal....

i think i created myself a monster...never been anti gun. not by a long shot. just never been big on them you know..my attitude is quickly changing with what has been going on in the world...

am i correct in saying that for the most part, a gun by one of these manufacturers will serve me well
glock
sig
h&k
kimber
taurus
beretta
smith and wesson
colt
springfield

am i wrong[/walter]

i might have to get me a big daddy bad ass gun safe for all my babies

let me ask you this domo, or anyone?

are the laws the same for handguns as they are long guns?
i was approved for this so i should be fine right?

i dont know what i would have to worry about. ive never been arrested

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
nice shotty, pump action is scary to hear lol...got a remmington 1187 super mag, and 1911 45 acp, those are my choice. great firearms

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Taurus is horrible. I'm sure people will come in defending them, but NEVER buy a Taurus.

I only like Smith & Wesson wheelguns.

I don't like H&K for political reasons.

Everything else is a great choice (if we're talking about handguns, don't like Sig rifles).

If you want a fun .22 Ruger makes some awesome ones. I haven't been to the range in awhile, but it's so fun to go with a .22, and cheap.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
all i can say about this gun is, holy dam

$1500

i just might have to get this big bastard and hang it on the wall

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
try not too make fun of mr cool here. this isnt about him..

this gun is a friggin monster

i like this dude too

www.charterfirearms.com...
edit on 26-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

are the laws the same for handguns as they are long guns?
i was approved for this so i should be fine right?

Sorry, missed this question.

If you pass the background check for a long gun (rifle or shotgun) you will pass the background check for a handgun.

Only difference is if you have a concealed pistol license. When you buy a handgun (to the best of my knowledge) without holding a concealed pistol license you will have to wait 2 weeks to pick up the handgun. So you pay them, they give you a receipt, you come back in 2 weeks later ("cooling off period" in case you were thinking about murdering someone, which is pretty dumb in my opinion) and they give you the handgun.

Where do you live? What state? It cost me maybe $50 bucks and I had to get fingerprinted to get my CPL. Once I got that, I could walk in to any gunshop and walk out with a handgun the same day. I think my record for quickest handgun purchase was just over ten minutes.

Background check is the background check, it's the same thing with a long gun or a pistol. Again, only difference is that without a CPL you need to wait 2 weeks to pick up the gun if it's a pistol. Now occasionally you'll get a hold on a long gun. Some people get screwed by this. Similar names and whatnot. I think I am the only person in the world with my name combination, so I've never had a problem (except after getting a DUI).

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

thanks for answering.
im in ohio. i thought the wait here was 3 days...man that would suck having to drop all the cash and have to wait 2 weeks. i can deal with a few days but 2 damn weeks.

i always wondered why they made you wait. i guess its for what you said.

yeah i filled out the paper and he called some number from his phone.
i heard him say rifle or long gun. cant remember. he rattled off all my info and i heard him repeat back a code proceed.
like 4758 proceed
that was it....

i thought there would be more to it.

im bummed to think im gonna have to wait two weeks.

ive ben looking at pistols for the past hour or so.

there are some tasty looking pieces out there.

i requested catalogues from binelli, browning, beretta, kahr, and smith and wesson

is cpl the concealed carry permit?

hell for 50 bones i might do that just to avoid the wait to pick up my pistol

i just read that ohio is a castle doctrine state but does not have a stand your ground law.
i thought they were the same thing

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent
That's a duck plug, for duck hunting. max 3 rnds.
1 in chamber, 2 in tube

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

the only taurus to have is the judge, it's a 5 shot 410 or.45lc revolver. i have mine loaded with two slugs and three 00 buckshot.
or Hornady 410 Triple Defense which is a slug on top of two .35 cal balls, that will tear some a@@ up.

i'm thinking about getting a S&W Governor it's six shot.

here's a review for both.

Taurus Judge vs S&W Governor
edit on 27-11-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
a reply to: Aliensun

For home defense why did you buy small game ammo...hehe

Go with 00 ammo or even some tactical type, buy 2 boxes and shoot one on the range to get a feel for it. I would also add a laser sight since it is much easier to aim with.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join