It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is this true about the SAS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I recently watched a documentry about the SAS and there was a story about how a 8 man SAS team killed around 250 Iraqi soldiers is this true??

January 22, 1991: 8 man SAS team was dropped behind Iraqi lines. The team was compromised the next day. The team then attempted to escape to Syria. The team became split up. Of the 8 man team, 3 were killed, 4 were captured, one made it across the Syrian border. 4 members stole a car and drove to within 8 miles of the border before encountering a military checkpoint. They left the car and ran for the border. 2 men were killed during fire fights. one was killed trying to steal a car from Iraqi soldiers. One died from hypothermia. This 8 man team killed around 250 Iraqi soldiers.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
That sounds like 'Bravo Two Zero'. Andy McNab was one of the soldiers in that patrol and wrote a book about their experiences in Iraq, imaginatively titled 'Bravo Two Zero'. You should read it, it's really good.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Yeah, although their mission failed and some of them died, they had a major kill ratio over the Iraqis.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Yeah but the one thing about the whole 250 kill thing was that they only had.................wait getting the book by micheal asher.......cant find book BUT the point is that they where only issued 250 rounds for the whole unit, now an SAS man gets a head shot about rouglhy every 10 shots. now even if they did get head shots for every shot that would mean only 250 men died AND not forgetting the fact that one died of hypothermia on his own and they didnt find his body or weapon. Which means they lost his ammo.
Also they went 200+ miles behind enemy lines with out jeeps or even more important, sleeping bags. The mission was doomed from the start.
Andy Mcnab exageratted the distances.
Also many call vince ( forgot his full name) a coward because he exsposed the section, the fact is he didnt. They landed down so close to the farm that the farmer saw the chopper and the troops. The young shepard boy didnt see vince or the section. The poor man died labelled a coward in the freezeing cold far from home on a doomed mission.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Wasp, what's going on, man? That was a bit of a rant, a weird disconnected rant at that. Not like you at all. Vince wasn't a coward, none of those men were.

I know you weren't saying he was, but I wanted to clear it up.

Every man that is accepted into the SAS or SBS is the best of the best. Period. Talk about Navy Seals, Delta Force, Australian SAS, Spetznaz all you want.

We know.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee
Wasp, what's going on, man? That was a bit of a rant, a weird disconnected rant at that. Not like you at all. Vince wasn't a coward, none of those men were.

Yeah it was ,sorry, just some people do call him a coward , i dont like people who slag the military. period.

I know you weren't saying he was, but I wanted to clear it up.

As i said people do call him that.

Every man that is accepted into the SAS or SBS is the best of the best. Period. Talk about Navy Seals, Delta Force, Australian SAS, Spetznaz all you want.
We know.

Yeah but some are just A holes......i dont like andy Mc Nab or Chris Ryan.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Yeah but some are just A holes......i dont like andy Mc Nab or Chris Ryan.

There not popular in Hereford either

[edit on 11-12-2004 by weirdo]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I cannot see the whole unit only carrying 250 beyween them. 250 rounds each would be more acurate.

Both McNab and Ryan have become rich of the backs of the 3 dead team members.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Is the 250 dead Iraqis accurate, or is it gossip?

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britman
I cannot see the whole unit only carrying 250 beyween them. 250 rounds each would be more acurate.

Both McNab and Ryan have become rich of the backs of the 3 dead team members.

No it was true only 250 odd rounds.
Rem it was supposedly a reacon mission so they would not need much ammo.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Bravo two zero is the book good read thought seeing what chris ryan has said and the documentries on it on TV. That I have seen There is a whole diffrent story lots of lies and cover up's. After all they are the SAS and the full story is never told.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Andy McNab alone carried 290 rounds 5.56mm.Plus a further200 rounds for the Minimi.Other members carried similar amounts plus PE 4 explosives as they were tasked to destroy a scud site

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
Andy McNab alone carried 290 rounds 5.56mm.Plus a further200 rounds for the Minimi.Other members carried similar amounts plus PE 4 explosives as they were tasked to destroy a scud site

Oh well, looks like i was wrong about the count, curse you stupid hideing book!

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
250 kills sounds about right, do some research, they had even better kill ratios in WW2 and Burma at times.

Reason why their mission failed? Freak weather.

As for whether liking him or not, just character differences. Although, I thought the SAS were supposed to be secretive. I could understand why the boys at Hereford aren't pleased with him.

[edit on 11-12-2004 by Galvatron]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Galvatron
Reason why their mission failed? Freak weather.
[edit on 11-12-2004 by Galvatron]

Freak weather?
The weather is normally that cold at the equator, also no sleeping bags or vehicles?

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
have you all read Chis Ryans: the one that got away? this is all based on his account of what happened and he and Andy McNab were going through a stage of not talking after the whole mission goin wrong and whos to blame ordeal. yet both these amazing books agree with what happened bar a few things like ud expect.

as for freak weather i would say yes as you dont really expect snow in a desert.

if i was going to blame anyone here it would be the U.S for not sharing there sattelite intel and sending troops in blind with no idea of the land

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The SAS guys can pick up enemy ammo you know and use it if the calibers match, if not then they can just dispose of the one they were issued with and take the iraqi one. I'm sure 250 soldiers drop alot of ammo...

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
No way. 8 men trying to flee. What, they lobbed a couple of grenades into a crowded mosque at lunch time ? Women and children attacking them with sticks and stones out in the open ?

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiRiNO
The SAS guys can pick up enemy ammo you know and use it if the calibers match, if not then they can just dispose of the one they were issued with and take the iraqi one. I'm sure 250 soldiers drop alot of ammo...

No they never used the AK's , they wouldnt have time anyway.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dixon
No way. 8 men trying to flee. What, they lobbed a couple of grenades into a crowded mosque at lunch time ? Women and children attacking them with sticks and stones out in the open ?

Try 200+ miles behind enemy lines and no vehicles with an army on you back.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join