It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Women In Combat Roles: New Pentagon Push

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
In what may be due to shortages of personnel, the Pentagon is considering mandated Congressional policies that would put more women into combat roles, and thus into harm's way. Seven US female soldiers have been killed in combat in Iraq thus far, and many more wounded. Army studies have shown that when properly trained, woman are every bit as tough as men in the fighting role.

newsmax.com
Female combat pilots and military police (patrolling the streets of Baghdad, for instance) are a recognized part of Congress�s loosening of the restriction on the roles females can play in combat operations, even though there remains fixed in the rule book a regulation that exempts women from direct ground combat units that engage in deliberate offensive action against the enemy.

Established by then-Defense Secretary Les Aspin on Jan. 13, 1994, the so-called �Aspin Rules� exempt female soldiers from assignments in smaller direct ground combat (DGC) units that engage in deliberate offensive action against the enemy, and from units that collocate with them.

�Army manpower cannot support elimination of female soldiers from all units designated to be unit of action elements,� the Army report concluded.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now this is a tough one on me. I suppose the natural part of me that wants to protect a woman at all costs, says "no way." However, after reviewing some of the many articles available on this, I have just about changed my mind. Formerly reserved for more supporting roles, more women may be soon coming out from behind the scenes into actual fighting roles. I am of the opinion at this point that if that's where women want to go, then by all means, let em. As stated in the article, with proper training, just like a man, there is no physical reason that they cannot.

Related News Links:
www.washtimes.com
www.cbsnews.com

www.aug.com

[edit on 11-12-2004 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I'm against it. 100%

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
I'm against it. 100%

Why, can you elaborate a bit more? Women in combat is a natural extension. THere is no reason why women cannot be warriors in our society. The days of June Cleaver are long dead, and there is not one good reason, provided that they meet the requirements, that they should not be allowed to serve.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

I'm against it. 100%

Why, can you elaborate a bit more? Women in combat is a natural extension. THere is no reason why women cannot be warriors in our society. The days of June Cleaver are long dead, and there is not one good reason, provided that they meet the requirements, that they should not be allowed to serve.

I'm sorry, this article ticked me off so much that I erased the rest prior to posting!

Here are my reasons:

Women are 'naturally' more nurturing than men. Biologically, we breed life. A woman can be trained like a man, given all the tools, etc. Once put in the 'situation', she will be less likely to 'pull the trigger' than a man will. We are made differently, that's a fact.

Also, once you put women into combat you give your enemy the tool they've been looking for! Also, 'naturally' a man will normally fight harder and stronger for a female than a male. (It 's in our 'make up') All the training in the world cannot change what human nature provided. Men protect women. PERIOD. Once you place a woman into a combat situation, you just handed over more control to the enemy!

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Well, I might point out that if the pentagon gets their way with this, women may not have a choice. Other than not to join the military at all.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I am all for it, I believe in equal oppertunities for all an don't have natural instinct to protect females I would rather safe myselve and find another female to continue my bloodline, would instinctively make some sacrifice for my children though.....

[edit on 11-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   
(sarcasam on) In my opinion if the US Gov made a draft for only the male hating feminazi minded women and brought home the male soldiers loosing their lives on an illigal war for nothing, then i might be swayed to thinking that this war may have some advantages(sarcasam off) as far as any other conflict if a women chooses to serve in the military because she beleives in the reason to fight all the best to her.
The US gov in my opinion would`nt need to be looking into drafting if they had`nt used bogus evidence to start off with,they will probably have to start a draft in the future because most Americans have seen through their bs.
It would`nt surprise me in the least if they started another conflict somewhere else and make themselves look like the good guys again ,just to have Americans sign up automaticly only to find that half of them wake up the next morning in Iraq.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   
thinker ouch ouch you bad boy you

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Just about the only place that a mixed sex crew cannot serve is on a submarine due to space considerations.

www.diodon349.com...

However, other than that most Navy ships are, the Army and Air Force are as well. Women served in combat roles during the GWII as well.

[edit on 12/11/04 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thinker
I don't see a women's life anymore valueable, send the bitches to war.
Then mabe they can learn to respect men and disown the feminists movement which claims oppression with no edvidence.

ROLMAO!!!!! (OMG, my gut hurts. You are a winner!)

Girls! Where are you? This one is a 'JEWEL'!!!

[edit on 11-12-2004 by SourGrapes]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:54 AM
link   

I don't see a women's life anymore valueable, send the bitches to war.
Then mabe they can learn to respect men and disown the feminists movement which claims oppression with no edvidence.

ROLMAO!!!!! (OMG, my gut hurts. You are a winner!)

Girls! Where are you? This one is a 'JEWEL'!!!

I was just warned with temp ban for saying that. Goes to show how deep rooted the feminist army are.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:56 AM
link   

I was just warned with temp ban for saying that. Goes to show how deep rooted the feminist army are.

It's okay! I lost points on this thread as well! Let's see how many we can lose collected together all in one thread!

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
I am all for it, I believe in equal oppertunities for all an don't have natural instinct to protect females I would rather safe myselve and find another female to continue my bloodline, would instinctively make some sacrifice for my children though.....

Are you telling me that you would save your life, over your wife's life first in a traumatic situation? OMG. That is incomprehensible to be. Maybe I'm just old school, I don't know. But I would sacrifice my life for my wife or girlfriend first (if I had one) if the situation called for it. No question.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
i just got 20 ponits taken away from my one sentence. you get no slap well see if i give fred a christmas card this year lol.far as i believe the ladys should not go to war with men.we dont need them hurting themshleves like we already do.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
[edit on 11-12-2004 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I am going to remind everybody one time on this thread: Please stay on topic. If you have any issues with warnings and the like, please u2u the Moderator that issued them of file a complaint / comment for the staff to review.

I would remind you to read the box above the inital post by TA. The jist is this on ATSNN threads there is stricter moderation with a low tolerance for off topic posts, one liners, large quotes, off color remarks ,and the like.

Thank You
FredT

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I would like to see an all female sub (in stylish mintgreen) to study combateffectiveness, to see how they interact in the crowded environment without the mixed gender sexual component.

It will probably never happen though, because an all girl crew is probably even a greater snakebasket than a mixed crew, with continous scheming about social ranks in the group, unless you put some real butch behind the rudder with unquestionable leadership.....

(this could be my ignorant male thoughts however, reason why I would like to see such an experiment)

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I am going to remind everybody one time on this thread: Please stay on topic. If you have any issues with warnings and the like, please u2u the Moderator that issued them of file a complaint / comment for the staff to review.

I would remind you to read the box above the inital post by TA. The jist is this on ATSNN threads there is stricter moderation with a low tolerance for off topic posts, one liners, large quotes, off color remarks ,and the like.

Thank You
FredT

Fred,

I'm just mess'n w/ the mods here and the other poster! Actually, you are right and I respect that. I'm sorry.

(Here's 25 points!
)

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   

[I was just warned with temp ban for saying that. Goes to show how deep rooted the feminist army are.

Now, stand up staight! Gut out! Let me hear a 'hoorah! One more time soldier! "HOOORAH! Semper Fi! Nice one, now give me 20! (er, 25)

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Being an Air Forec Vet. I know when I was in (1979-83) women played a major role in the A.F.'s support operations. You can call me old-fashoned but I feel it is wrong to put a female in a possible situation where her life may threatned. I am all for womens rights and I even know many women pilots who in every respect are just as capable as their male counterparts. I believe in Israel it is mandatory that male and females serve a min. of 2 or 3 yrs. in the military. If this were the case here, I'd bet even money that there would be a huge backlash reverberating throughout the states. I may be wrong. Any other opinions?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join