It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I won't buy The 'Ebola Charity Song' CD

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...
Apart from it being a terrible song (IMO), the 'singers' (cough cough) involved aren't parting with a penny of their own money, it's everyone else's money they're donating from the sales of the CD. And they get to boost their own profiles which will enable them to 'earn' (lol) more money that they won't be donating.

If these performers care so much and want to be charitable why don't they give some of what they've already got, instead of trying to fool us all by donating money they don't have, our money, and only on condition that we buy this crap song? I can donate another way, why can't they? Nothing and no-one is stopping them from withdrawing cash from their bank accounts and handing it over.

It's a con.

And I'm not buying it (the con, nor the song).

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Completely agree with you and I liked this article from the telegraph

“Adele is doing nothing,” said Geldof at the weekend. “She’s not answering the phone… she’s not writing. She’s not recording. She doesn’t want to be bothered by anyone. She won’t pick up the phone to her manager. She’s bringing up a family, you know.”

The message is loud and clear, even if the music isn’t: Geldof is here to save West Africa from Ebola, and Adele, with her peculiar un-celebrity desire to sod the limelight as she brings up a toddler, is a selfish little woman who must be publicly humiliated.

Later, we learnt that Adele had quietly made a private donation to Oxfam. But in the shallow, self-promoting world of celebrity, the simple and silent act of handing over money to charity is not the done thing – that’s what we impoverished plebs do.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I haven't even seen the song or video but if it's like any of the other charity records it will have been sung by a load of money hungry materialistic peadophiles and deviants.

A 'song' for ebola? How about some compassion and action from governments. Oh wait... they're too busy hunting a personal thrill. F*****g world is f****d.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
And to add a bit of conspiracy to the whole thing...

Paula Yates - suspiciously dead
Michael Hutchence - suspiciously dead
Peaches Geldoff - suspiciously dead
Bob Geldoff ("I am above the law") - suspiciously alive

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This kind of thing is all about publicity for the stars. The supposed charity is an after thought.
Bono is always campaigning about feeding the African children, the governments need to send more aid... then he puts his money in countries with lower tax rates. Frickin hypocrite.
This is all about celebrity image. Which is a shame because I'm sure a few of them really do help.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyTrick
Completely agree with you and I liked this article from the telegraph

“Adele is doing nothing,” said Geldof at the weekend. “She’s not answering the phone… she’s not writing. She’s not recording. She doesn’t want to be bothered by anyone. She won’t pick up the phone to her manager. She’s bringing up a family, you know.”

The message is loud and clear, even if the music isn’t: Geldof is here to save West Africa from Ebola, and Adele, with her peculiar un-celebrity desire to sod the limelight as she brings up a toddler, is a selfish little woman who must be publicly humiliated.

Later, we learnt that Adele had quietly made a private donation to Oxfam. But in the shallow, self-promoting world of celebrity, the simple and silent act of handing over money to charity is not the done thing – that’s what we impoverished plebs do.

That's the true meaning of charity - to give, with the knowledge that there is nothing in return.

What most don't realize is you DO get something back - you will feel your reward in your soul, and it is by far more valuable than material rewards, and no-one can rob you of it.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
well people need to milk that ebola cow for what it's worth.
i never understood these things, songs for charity or book for charity, whatever the case may be.
you wanna send money somewhere to help? do it, don't ask for my money and pretend like it's some global effort.
"WE need to help! so I will write a song that YOU will buy so then YOUR money can be sent to help someone!"
"oor just send whatever cash you want Mr celebrity person, you've got more of it than i do"

what a load of bull.

Here, someone with a bit of common sense:
www.theguardian.com...
edit on 24/11/2014 by IShotMyLastMuse because: the article provided enriches the debate beyond mear celebrity squandering, and offerse an allbeit short glimps into the moral landscape celebreties live in keep in mind i am typing a load of nonsense i just want to see what the character limit is on this thing since i never fill this in, ok i'm bored now

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

There was nothing 'suspicious' about any of their deaths.

I won't be buying it either, largely for the reasons outlined by other posters.

But I'll give the majority of 'artists' the benefit of the doubt and think that there may indeed be an element of good intentions but I suspect the primary motivation for most involved would undoubtedly be ego driven.

There's also more than an element of smug and arrogant mutual self-congratulation over their 'unselfish' contribution to 'the cause' about all these types of recordings.

And it feeds off a high level of conscience easing for the general public who will buy the record and feel they have done 'their bit' in the fight against Ebola etc whilst ignoring the grim reality faced by those directly affected and without addressing the primary reasons such acts are required in the first place in todays world.

Added to that its a truly awful recording.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
it's a promotional opportunity for the 'stars' involved, just as all previous incarnations were. and like those other versions, it will do diddly squat to improve anything for those whom it ostensibly aspires to help. but it will sell records. ker-ching. for my part, i never give to any charities or sign any petitions. both are meaningless and perpetuate their avowed target problems rather than making any positive impact.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

Personally I don't buy into any charity considering any monies and/or aid donated to such organisations seldom reach the intended target group. They say charity begins at home, i agree with that, most especially so these days.
edit on 24-11-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Why do they have donate? Just cause they are rich? They volunteered their work...like carpenter would build a house. It can take a week to record a song easy....thats a week of their lives to make a song that they hope raises money. i dont know why youd be mad at that haha.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I don't buy crappy music. So there's that.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I reckon Geldof has been waiting a few years for something to happen in Africa so he could do this re-release of the song. And ebola is the most high profile disaster to happen in years, so he jumped in and thought "f*** it this will have to do"

I think this is more about Geldof then the cause, and im not being cynical saying that

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Why do we feel the need to turn every effing thing into some ordeal...some Buzzfeed 'feel' good video to send some message? Im so tired of it all. The majority of the people that would even buy this sh!t probably don't know the first thing about Ebola..and probably wouldn't give a damn about it..if their favorite bubblegum..autotune celebrity wasn't grubbing for more money from it!

Whatever..I don't buy crap like that--

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

In cheesy pseudo emotional boy band voice! Get ye hence back to X Factor.

It is a crime against music to keep on bashing us with charity songs.

I don't trust the whole set up. It seems somehow very hollow and patronising.

If I had Ebola or was going hungry somewhere the last thing I would want is these lot doing what they do and for the reasons they do it. It would add to my misery.

The money trail is another issue entirely. They are like manufactured little financial schemes where cuts are taken down the line and certain companies get the contracts. Only a small percentage every reaches or benefits the people they say it is for.

It is just more let's feel good at Christmas, guilt offering time and justify stuffing our faces because we are nice because we bought a cheesy cd to help the Africans. I now need to visit the bathroom to vomit.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I don't buy crappy music. So there's that.

figures geldof is the ring master.....dude annoys me
as soon as i saw the thread title and a bbc link i figured ole bobby was involved...

only charity song that has ever been worth anything is we are the world.....

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Holy Crap. I didn't even know this was a thing...

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Here's some much better lyrics they could have sung:

"Ambush In The Night" by Bob Marley.

"(Ooh-wee, ooh-wee, ooh-wa!)
See them fighting for power (ooh-wee, ooh-wee, ooh-wa!),
But they know not the hour (ooh-wee, ooh-wee, ooh-wa!),;
So they bribing with their guns, spare-parts and money,
Trying to belittle our
Integrity now.
They say what we know
Is just what they teach us;
And we're so ignorant
'Cause every time they can reach us (shoobe, doo-wa)
Through political strategy (shoo-be, doo-wa);
They keep us hungry (shoobe, doo-wa),
And when you gonna get some food (shoobe, doo-wa),
Your brother got to be your enemy, we-e-ell!

Ambush in the night,
All guns aiming at me;
Ambush in the night,
They opened fire on me now.
Ambush in the night,
Protected by His Majesty.
Ooh-wee, ooh-wee. Ooh-wa-ooh!
(Ooh-wee) Ooh-wee, ooh-wee (ooh-wa), Ooh-wa!
Ooh-wee, ooh-wee, ooh wa-ooh!
Ooh-wee, ooh-wee, ooh wa-ah!

Well, what we know
Is not what they tell us;
We're not ignorant, I mean it,
And they just cannot touch us;
Through the powers of the Most-I (shoobe, doo-wa),
We keep on surfacin' (shoobe, doo-wa);
Thru the powers of the Most-I (shoobe, doo-wa),
We keep on survivin'.

Yeah, this ambush in the night
Planned by society;
Ambush in the night;
They tryin' to conquer me;
Ambush in the night
Anyt'ing money can bring;
Ambush in the night
Planned by society;
Ambush in the night -"

Somehow this has more of a meaning for me than any amount of arms length charity giving. Don't get me wrong I am a generous person. I am just careful so what I give reaches the target with the most effectiveness.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

Why do they have donate? Just cause they are rich? They volunteered their work...like carpenter would build a house. It can take a week to record a song easy....thats a week of their lives to make a song that they hope raises money. i dont know why youd be mad at that haha.

They don't have to donate, but seeing as they're so concerned about this outbreak and want so badly to help with cash-money donations, why don't they just simply go to their bank and draw the money out to hand it over? It will cut out all this time-wasting of recording, producing, promoting, and selling. They have the cash now so if they want to give, give it now.

It's because there's no personal gain in it for them in donating quietly and anonymously.

These singers are all getting recognition for being charitable by donating loads of much needed cash to charity, without parting with a penny of their own.

It's a thumbs-down from me.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I'm not buying it either.

It's rubbish for starters and all this 'Charity' talk is rubbish also.

I stopped believing in these 'Charities' a long time ago when i saw that those Areas of Africa where the Monies were supposed to be Enriching and Educating, never got any 'Enriching & Educating' as they still look the same and still live the same as they did 40 years ago.

No education whatsoever went into 'Childbirth' or/and 'Birth-Control' . Just look at the living conditions in some parts, its quite obvious to me, I just don't see how others don't see it.

EDIT TO ADD THAT NOT ALL CHARITIES ARE LYING OR USELESS, THERE ARE SOME GOOD ONES OUT THERE.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join