It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help. I've fallen off the wagon...again

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I'm a nicotine addict...and without nicotine, I'm a dick.

I haven't smoked in a year...and now I am again this last month.

I have quit smoking for quite lengthy periods. 9 years for one period and recently a bit over a year. I recently fell off the wagon again and am fighting the addiction. I took up vaping, but that only seems to help only so much.

Truth be told, I have a temper problem. I've always had it. And smoking seems to calm it down. I don't know why, but smoking seems to calm me down to a civil level. And I hate it that I rely upon nicotine to keep me civil.

I don't like the taste, nor the smell.

I've tried the entire gamut to quit. None seem to work in the long run.

I'm at my wits end. And I am hoping that others may have other options.

I'm open to all options.

All I can sat is...HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Get a small metal pipe. Now most people use them for other things, you can use it for tobacco.

Buy some fine screen mesh filters for it.

If you take off the end you will find normal roll-your -own filters will fit snuggly in the tube.

Buy some tobacco and use it.

At least your usage goes way down, and it will cost you a damn site less than cigarettes.

Because you may be reluctant to use it in public, you use it even less.

Next time you wish to quit, it will be easier.

Cleaning out the pie also gives you an incentive to quit. It is yukky.

P

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Don't look at me. I'd hand you a cigarette and light one right up alongside you. Every idea that I can come up with to fight the urge has failed with me. Even meditation. My doc did ask me why I smoked and offered me pills in exchange. No kidding. Yeah, let's save your lungs by nuking your liver. Great plan.

I don't know what to say. Nicotine, from what I've been told by professionals, is sometimes used to be a kind of combination anti-depressant and tranquilizer as a form of self medication. Maybe figure out the source of what's pushing you to the brink of smoking. It'd be a shame to really start up when you've done so well.

I'm rooting for you.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Has anything changed? Maybe it's the stress causing you to smoke that turns you in to a dick, not the lack of nicotine. I'm guessing you've tried the gum? And patches? Have you tried talking to your Dr and getting some help there? Some folks I know who stopped smoking swear by Chantix. But, I personally don't trust any meds that may change my personality or carry the risks that some do. But, if your that worried about quitting, it may be worth looking in to.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I've quit twice. Tobacco free 7 years now. It's difficult, but worthy. I'm sure you know. Try again. Get support. Call a quit line. Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (784-8669). TobaccoFreeCO.org , that's our Colorado line.

Stress and online bloggery. Perhaps bad?

edit on 14/11/20 by trumpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
TDawgRex

You say you have tried vaping, but there is vaping and VAPING, If you want a true replacement for cigs you will need a vaping device that you fill up with juice.

For most who are trying to get off cigs it is best to go for a strong 24mg nicotine and then work your way down from there. Not everyone likes the fruity flavoured juices but there is such a wide choice now I am sure there would be something that you would like.

Go for a 50/50 mix of PG/VG mix to start off and then adjust as you like over time.

I recommend the original EGO-C devices as a really good starting point. If my old Mum can do it after nearly 70yrs of smoking a pack a day easily, I reckon you would stand a good chance. With the right device you will not miss cigs at all.

edit on 20-11-2014 by kennyb72 because: spelling

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Today is the day I picked up smokes again. I have been pretty good at not smoking...maybe 5 to eight a month, temper dependent. I stripped the walls of my place and repainted them. Had the carpets steam cleaned.. (Did the same to my truck) and don't allow smoking in either place.

Stress seems to be the key here. But I can't put my finger on whats stressing me out. When I put everything to paper, things should be golden. But they aren't apparently.

I went to the VA to get patches, which seem to work to a degree. But they don't prescribe them without a counseling session. I've shown up four times now and each time, the counsler has not. Waste of gas and time on my part.

edit on 20-11-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
With the vaping I have cut way down on regular ciggs, but...sometimes ya just have to have the real deal. So I can understand. I hate not having all the ciggs I really want!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I've done the Chantix and Wellbutrin thing before. They did me no good. Those were the first drug were I experienced the side effects.

My temper tripled on those drugs.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

If you are stressed and don't know why it must be MAN-O-pause. LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist. I have a lot of stress myself, but I know why I have it and they are all damned good reasons. Take one day at a time, perhaps it will come to you.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: DAVID64

I've done the Chantix and Wellbutrin thing before. They did me no good. Those were the first drug were I experienced the side effects.

My temper tripled on those drugs.

I tried one of those and the side affects were horrible!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Nitrogen has a settling effect on people. It even relaxes the veins and arteries. If you quit you will need to increase your nitrogen uptake, the nitrogen in the air doesn't work. It has to be a suitable organic version.

Try eating a baked potato for supper.

Eat more cooked green veggies

Nitrogen also cancels out methyl to an extent. Nicotinic acid can convert some drugs so a drug doesn't show up on a drug test. This calms to a certain extent. Now, cigarettes also have B-carbolines in them, something vaping probably does not have. You will have to look that chemical up yourself, it is another calming and doping chemical with medical benefits. B-carbolines are what is probably causing part of the addiction. They can be found in a few foods though in small amounts. They do settle you. Nicotine can attach to the nicotine sensor in place of acetylcholine and fire up your thinking. If you can't make enough acetylcholine, then you tend to get a little cranky when it gets low.

There is much more to cigarettes than nicotine. There is some good and some bad.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Hmmm, maybe at this point your absentee counselor is the source of stress. One of those nagging things then though, eh? I hate that. PTSD? I have PTSD as well hence why I get pills offered to me in lieu of smoking. Most of the time I'm fine and I'm a pretty light smoker. Other days, I have to work really hard at not resembling a chimney.

Since you did all that deep cleaning and painting plus not to mention how much your lungs have improved it'd be an awful shame to waste it. I stress clean as an alternative to smoking. Basically, I put my house in order when I feel like something is out of order. I'd say take a walk but considering the weather...might not be a possibility.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Leave it to you to give me a science lesson.

I'll have to give it a whirl though and look into it more. After all, if it helps...KUDOS!

And I do love to cook.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

I do try to walk, even when the weather is foul...though it does hamper my distance. But yes...today when I was told by the VA scheduler that the counselor was not in after the appointment was made (for the fourth time), my voice did rise a bit. Enough to have the local security (Cleveland Cops) take notice. They actually helped me calm down a bit...maybe because they were Vets as well? And knew what I was going through?

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
It's not likely you'll listen, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Go to a board certified hypnotherapist. You might be surprised at what he/she can do for you, if you're honest with them, and work with them. Be upfront, just like you have been in this thread.
edit on 11/20/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
ecigs all the way

alot of people i know have quit this way

if your a nonfilter smoker type id say get a mech with a .5 coil or so

i went from smoking to dipping to ecigs

i smoked kite rollies about a can every 2 weeks for 5 years

i now vape 20 ml of 24 lg juice every 2 weeks

improvments are astonishing

if you dont wana do the ecigs do something even dipping is better

its almost imposible to get a new lung as a smoker but even dipping you can get a skin graph

just some food for thought on what ur more likaly to survive

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: kennyb72

I've been vaping the Cherry flavored BLU e-cigs for a bit now, and they've been helping quite a bit. But not recently. Maybe it's because they don't tone down the nic level in them. That never occurred to me until now. Maybe it is time to invest in a vaporizer.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

That's harsh man...but its the truth.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I smoked the other stuff with tobacco through a brass pipe, and when I ran out of the other stuff I tried tobacco straight. I could never get addicted to it though, my body and mind just seems to not be the addictive type BUT I found the small amount I had through a brass pipe was sufficient AND a hell of a lot less than what is in a cigarette.

I can't stand how it was staining my teeth though....so yeh I stopped without much issue.

Yeh, and cleaning that brass pipe is way gross when you put tobacco through it.....really gross.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join