It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

thinking about getting a flemish giant...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
anyone here ever keep one?

im not sold on the idea yet but i think it would be awesome to have one of these big ole dudes just chilling around the house

en.wikipedia.org...

they can get to be 20 lbs.
if i get one im gonna name him rabbitowitz

it is recommended that you keep them inside in a pen or a room. i have a spare bedroom with nothing in it but a book shelf full of books. if i get one im gonna hook him up with a nice chill spot...
anyone here have any experience?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

I have no experience with the holychitmeister you have pictured above specifically, but I have had a few pet rabbits over the years.

If you don't mind your house smelling like a barn, have at 'er.

Their urine reeks worse than catspray tenfold. And no matter how often you clean, you can't get rid of the lingering odor.

End result: I had to put them outside with their own little area to run around in and built an indoor area for them to use, like a chicken coop type of deal.

Never again.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Just did a quick google search apparently they can get to 55lbs! I never heard of these, dunno how I never heard of a giant rabbit.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

thats gonna be a problem...i cant have my house smelling like piss
well thanks for crushing my dreams.....j/k

if i lived in a different climate i would build a house for him outside but im in ohio and it gets cold as balls here.
its not fair to keep him outside...

dammit.....theyre sweet as hell.

i think my daughter would get a kick out of an extra big ass bunny too
edit on 18-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I've always wondered how a fully grown human gets down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
this whole rabbit piss house stench issue is a bummer[/the dude]

how cool would a 20 lb rabbit named rabbitowitz be???

the answer is super cool

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Resist that urge to buy something alive for your daughter as a 'neat idea'. It wears off quickly and then either you're stuck with the cleanup, the vet bills, the damage and so forth, or it doesn't get done...

Besides fish, we *did* have one successful pet when the kids were grammar school to junior high age, though. The inner city school my mother volunteered at had two chinchillas that needed caretaking over the summer, but we ended up with them for a couple years. They like to 'wash' in a bowl of sand and eat sparingly. We ended up covering a part of a room up with plastic and then gave them a huge sandbox to play in. Absolutely clean, smell-less animals and cute as heck. Be careful if you end up giving them away, there are chinchilla breeders that will use them for fur. IIRC, you need to get two females or a male and a female, two males will fight.

PS: That's a sheltie, not a collie, right? Please tell me that's a sheltie...
edit on 3045911pmTuesdayf45Tue, 18 Nov 2014 21:45:30 -0600America/Chicago by signalfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Meh.

If you want a monster bunny that bad, I say go for it... urine odor and all.

There are various products you can buy that are supposed to help with the smell, but not so great. And you might want to train frankenbunny to enjoy bathtime, their urine sticks to their fur and that's where it can get pretty bad. Just keep in mind a bunny that size will have a much larger, um, bladder (cough).

The cuteness factor can over-ride the maintenance factor if you're willing. They really do have individual personalities and if you treat them like a dog, they will literally act like one.

Sorry, didn't mean to whiz on your parade.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Good decision, they are really fun to have around. Really miss my family's house bun Flemish! You can litter train a bunny. Newspaper, shavings(non cedar) box, most will take to it for the urine issue. Link on that
And of course, remember bunnies even at large size, considering this is your first, are very fragile creatures. Rabbit proof areas, tuck away cords, introduce carefully and watch around other pets, be familiar to what is harmful to them such as with foods ,etc.

Oh, and share some pic as an update

edit on 18-11-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Watch this film before making a decision.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Watch this film before making a decision.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

if i did get one he would have an entire room as his main spot....like i said, its empty save for a book shelf.

the rest of my house is already pretty safe...we have a toddler so all cords and such are already tucked away.
im gonna have to think about this for a bit before i decide....

i totally spaced out and didnt even think about the odor.

signal, im pretty sure thats a sheltie.

ive been keeping fish for 25 years....big into the hobby.
my specialty is cichlids. if you still keep fish and have any questions, ask away..
i can talk about fish husbandry for days

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
If you can litter train a bunny go for it!

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Yes to litter training... We have mini lops and all but one are perfectly toilet trained. The one that is an issue uses her cat box just fine but gets bored and throws it in the air as a toy. She has toys but just not as fun.

Some of the females can be really territorial over their space/bowls etc when young. So keep that in mind though ours all eventually outgrew it because we just kept handling them... With gloves!

We're hoping to get flemish giants too but it's a big cage building project.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

If you buy batting and some charcoal and can sew, you can make your own filter bags and save a fortune for your fish tanks!

As far as the cool giant rabbit...if it isn't tame, it can claw the hell outta you. And yes...the smell will have to be controlled somehow. I would watch it very carefully around a child. They will try to pick the rabbit up and can get clawed.

new topics

top topics

join