It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what if hip hop/rap got political

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

and I am not going to say you but a lot of people are acting like there is nothing wrong with hip hop right now. I run into a lot of people who tell me that they don't even like anybody who is out right now. An di guess there referring to new new hip hop.

everytime I go somewhere people more often then not are listening to "Do you" by Do or Die and twista. I know its a classic but I just find it funny that people are still bumping it now days.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

I agree, mainstream hip-hop is garbage.

I've already explained a couple of times why its happened.
Just read it

originally posted by: stargatetravels

originally posted by: American-philosopher
so lets think of the 5 most influential rappers that are currently alive and still going in our time. kind of the leaders if you will. Jay-z T.I. Lil wayne, Enemien and I guess fill in the blank with your choice and I realize Jay-z is a whole nother topic.

But if we say that some of these artist are the so called standard bearer for rap and hip hop. what are they rapping about?

I mean this is kind of what I meant. T.I. is one of my favorite rappers and I know what most his songs are about.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there is a reason that political and conscious music - of any kind doesn't get played.
The same reason the real stories don't make the news and the real decent , caring people don't get anywhere in politics.
The game is rigged man.
Anybody who knows can find the good stuff - of course it should be everywhere and every rapper and writer should be speaking out against issues, every reporter and news channel uncovering corruption and bringing us true journalism, but the 6 or so corporations that own ALL OF THE MEDIA now, tv, radio, news stations, papers and websites, do not want or allow this to happen.

It is not because the music isn't out there, its because it's not allowed to be mainstream

edit on 18-11-2014 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

But isn't macklemore mostly known for his social message songs?? I know Lady gaga is a different genre but she gets whatever her message is across.

But I don't understand why there can't be a political message matched to a good beat and a good hook

this might be a bad example, but why don't we take the 2chainz song no lie call it government lies and for the hook instead of real N****** say word we put real patriots say word.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

You don't listen to rap/hip-hop do you. Eminem, Lupe, Kanye, Jay-Z all of political messages and undertones in their music.

From the Iraq wars, Bush, Guantanamo, Obama, War in general, 911, Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, it goes on and on.

I don't know what else you're looking for.

What's ironic is, especially for the Conservative/Republican bashing, these rap artists use values not consistent with the values they preach in order to get where they are today. Cut-throat, dominating, elimination tactics to get rid of everyone who stands in their way to get to the top.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: f4rwest

wait what your going to say Jay-Z saying F Bill O Reily is political . I know that song. I don't think that song was political those were just words in that song.

And yeah the eminem song awhile back where he is talking about no more war for oil. whats it called come with me stand with me??

I don't listen to Lupe that much So I can't really call what he does.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

As a serious fan of hip-hop Jay-z has more undertones than the quote you put up. The Magna Carta Holy Grail is riddled with little lines here and there but he isn't even cut from that cloth.

The eminem song is called Mosh. I am not an Eminem fan at all (fights off mob of hip hop heads), but that was his greatest and an INCREDIBLE SONG.

Lupe's whole existence is geared towards the machine and he is so intelligent. He is also a very active protester. If you want some real quality hip-hop he would be one of the few newer people that I would recommend. His word play, metaphors, subject matter.....All nothing short of greatness.

2 chainz did NOT get signed because he is a conscious individual, he has a deal because he is willing to spew out some BS for a check. The corporate fuel is what got us on this destructive path.

The reason you are asking for a message from 2 chainz is because you aren't aware of how this game works. I am not talking down to you or anything like that, I just mean everything you see and hear is deliberate and when you can understand the components of this huge machine, you wouldn't ask questions like that because you understand why the radio is confined to a few variations of 'frequencies'.

Never stop learning.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join