It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what if hip hop/rap got political

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Okay so I was listening to the Alex jones show yesterday. he said something that really made me think and had a good point. (and I know people on ATS have differing opinions on what Alex jones is about, but lets concentrate on the message rather then the messenger) He asked "what if hip hop got political? then it would be a really good weapon".

I think that would be such a great thing. Think of the awareness that it could spread about key issues. As oppose to what the hip hop message is now, if we could get hip hop music to talk about long term positive's for people and communities rather then short term selfishness. I mean just thinking about it right now I can recall so many songs that have "I got this I got that"

I know the prospects of this happening are not great. But I just think about the possibilities with it and positive effect it would have.

I mean just look at something like the Nicki Minaj the controversy with the Nazi thing. Obviously she was trying to create shock and buizz about her. But what if her video and song had a political message to it that made people aware of things?

If we had hip hop rap songs about government lying,spying, whats in the food, water. where would w ebe with the truth movement

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Uh...Public Enemy ring a bell?
Yeah...Chuck D, the Flav, Terminator x, and the security of the first world...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Music has been politicized forever. Remember the 60's?

Nobody can understand what them rappers are saying anyways.

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Are you freaking serious?? Hip hop IS POLITICAL!!
Always has been political and if you're listening to the crap on the radio, that's your problem.
I'm not going to list lots and lots, I'll post some lesser know tracks.

I am frankly stunned at your OP - just stunned.
Completely clueless.

edit on 14-11-2014 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Some of the interviews the infamous Ricky Ross has done about the CIA drug stuff and Rap were very interesting... Ricky was part of a big operation in California and on more than one interview he has basically said the same as your post.. Gangster Rap makes gangsters and drug dealers in his opinion.. Where did I get my money, where did I get my women, drugs baby drugs..

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Music has been politicized forever. Remember the 60's?

Nobody can understand what them rappers are saying anyways.

Nobody remembers the 60's if they did it right.

I'm too young. I was either a dog or a dirty hippy in the last life, going dog again next time for sure.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Rap or hip hop?
I still wouldn't care.

Its idiotic music to me.
Nah....wouldn't matter to me because I hate that crap.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
We do.

Real hip hop has been political since the 80's..

There most definitely are hip hop artists making conscious hip hop.

originally posted by: American-philosopher
Okay so I was listening to the Alex jones show yesterday. he said something that really made me think and had a good point. (and I know people on ATS have differing opinions on what Alex jones is about, but lets concentrate on the message rather then the messenger) He asked "what if hip hop got political? then it would be a really good weapon".

I think that would be such a great thing. Think of the awareness that it could spread about key issues. As oppose to what the hip hop message is now, if we could get hip hop music to talk about long term positive's for people and communities rather then short term selfishness. I mean just thinking about it right now I can recall so many songs that have "I got this I got that"

I know the prospects of this happening are not great. But I just think about the possibilities with it and positive effect it would have.

I mean just look at something like the Nicki Minaj the controversy with the Nazi thing. Obviously she was trying to create shock and buizz about her. But what if her video and song had a political message to it that made people aware of things?

If we had hip hop rap songs about government lying,spying, whats in the food, water. where would w ebe with the truth movement

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Rap or hip hop?
I still wouldn't care.

Its idiotic music to me.
Nah....wouldn't matter to me because I hate that crap.

There is plenty of high quality hip hop, including good lyrics, good beats/music, and so on. Have you ever really gone through the various types?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

As a musician....no,as a fan of music yes.
Can't stand that crap....I get pissed off when people can't play a single instrument,can't read or write music and need computers to do it all for them while they call themselves artists and musicians.
No time for it.

I was a big fan of Run DMC when they came out and the whole genre just turned into garbage.
After Run DMC...thats as far as I go.
Remember NWA....music for dummies.

An example.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I get what your saying man and I think bad music is having s negative impact on society as a whole. I don't know why but people,really idolize musicians.

It might help an entire generation.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

right but I am more talking about current and modern

Something that will attack the youth and get them thinking

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

okay hahha theres a way to hear and understand what there saying hahah

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

well I am talking about an artist that will be able to jump on the VMA's or something and have an impact. I know there are consciencious rappers out there and all that. and also I mean reallt talk about hardcore impactful issues.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Hip Hop/ Rap used to be very political in the early stages. The intent was to give a voice to the voiceless. The Native Tongue movement is a great example where we get groups such as Monie Love, Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, and a few others. When Rap/ Hip Hop went mainstream the positive message(s) became lost. Now it's mass produced garbage you hear. Good Hip Hop is still around but you have to dig around to find it.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

There's a reason why intelligent, political, radical, informative & socially conscious music, of all types and genres, doesn't get played in the radio - and its not because it doesn't exist.
Also rigging elections, illegal war, false flag, the illusion of political parties - I would say all of these were hard-core, real & pertinent issues.
Did you listen to all of those tracks?

You name a social issue, conspiracy, social injustice, crime against humanity or radical idea and I'll bet you there's a hip hop track about it.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Rage against the machine was banned from all media
owned by Clear Channel who has 850 stations and 110 million listeners, after 9/11.

Professor Griff from Public Enemy says you don't go anywhere in rap without giving up your backside. Lil Wayne is the industry slut. Drake hit it. DMX was having non of that so... The big producers all gave up a star act to join the pact.

I don't know if I believe it but it makes sense. You can't give a talent 100 million listeners without having some way to reign them in if they start beaking off.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

and tell me some artist I am always trying to hear new good music. But I also know I can't go up to somebody and say check out this person you never heard of he has this track "whats really in the water". as oppose to have you heard T.I.'s new song "whats really in the water" or 2chainz "government lies."

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Kids! This video uses the N word. Other than that it is pretty tame in lyrics but very good.

Bush Knocked down the towers

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It already is, just mainstream isn't.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join