It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I a Good Man?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I am not a girl. There are male swans anyway.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Makes sense.

If I may add on your example of lying: most people think that "lying" is "bad". But if an enemy asks you for the location of your friend so to harm the latter, providing this enemy with false information is actually here the "good" thing to do.

So I agree, good vs bad is subjective. Virtues... these are the real thing.

Thanks for the link to Plato, I'll give it a read after work!

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Yep, that's another great example of how even the most generally accepted things are filled with ambiguity. Nothing twists things on its head more than moral or ethical dilemmas. Many are total mind benders with no easy answer. This site actually has a number of the ones that were actually posed in one of my philosophy classes and oh the arguments that ensued. I don't think I've ever been in a class that generated more rabidness than that one, lol. It got pretty heated but the point of them all is the same thing--sometimes there is no right or wrong, no good or bad thing to do, and that's just the way the world sometimes works.

psychopixi.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Indeed.

And by the way, this new link you gave me is actually really cool!

This one reallygot me thinking:

The Trapped Mining Crew

Heather is part of a four-person mining expedition. There is a cave-in and the four of them are trapped in the mine. A rock has crushed the legs of one of her crew members and he will die without medical attention. She’s established radio contact with the rescue team and learned it will be 36 hours before the first drill can reach the space she is trapped in.
She is able to calculate that this space has just enough oxygen for three people to survive for 36 hours, but definitely not enough for four people. The only way to save the other crew members is to refuse medical aid to the injured crew member so that there will be just enough oxygen for the rest of the crew to survive.

Should Heather allow the injured crew member to die in order to save the lives of the remaining crew members?

I cannot help but see a third option. Is it not morally commendable for Heather to solve the dilemma by sacrificing herself?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
If you have to ask.... I jest.

I view myself as a good person, I make my share of mistakes but I don't ever want to stop self-identifying as a good person.
I think that's where it boils down to. To hell with how others perceive you.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

lol, you think like I do, Swanne. Let's just say that my philosophy/ethics profs were not a fan of me entering into an ethical dilemma battle. That was one of the moral dilemmas that one of my profs used and I came up with the same solution. He chose ones that took out that possibility of a third option after that, lol. Was pretty funny.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

There, I changed it. If you still think that I am chick then you have a problem...

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

your terminology suggests your mind is closed from being brain washed...

try this: first thing in the morning... get up before the sun rises...sit and watch it and feel whatever there is to feel.

Listen to the salutation to the dawn,

Look to this day for it is life, the very life of life,

In its brief course lie all the verities and realities of our existence.

The bliss of growth, the splendour of beauty,

For yesterday is but a dream and tomorrow is only a vision,

But today well spent makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.

Look well therefore to this day.

Such is the salutation to the dawn.

sanskrit

think about these words whilst you enjoy the moment...

then watch some David Attenborough Life series about the Earth and other species and that will open your mind and negate the good/bad beliefs that you might have about yourself.

then make yourself a coffee but add a nip of scotch in it and then have a shower and you will be a new man.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

I am not a girl. There are male swans anyway.

oh no swanne... did you really admit that ?

male swans are gay... they only use the female to breed with, then the male lover swan chases the female off when the eggs have been laid and then the two male swans nest and fluff about together all happy.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Thurisaz

Hehe, I'll try that, thanks!

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thurisaz
male swans are gay... they only use the female to breed with, then the male lover swan chases the female off when the eggs have been laid and then the two male swans nest and fluff about together all happy.

Wow. I did not believe you at first so I googled it...

It seems you are right.

Oops.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

hahahahahhhhahahaaa

funny eh?

only joking but I can't help it... I can never miss an opportunity.

good luck with everything.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I would reword it, myself. (e.g. Am I doing things 'right' or am I doing things 'wrong'?)

Only you can answer your own question.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Thurisaz

Hehe that was epic indeed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join