It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I could make a joke about that...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
But why would I?

So my last few rants have gone rather well; I figure another couldn't hurt.

Here we go:

In the context of an OP that is provided to be informational, why must we make such an effort to give up a joke or pun as an addition to the thread? And when we do - shouldn't we go a little further than Making that joke and leaving it at that?

It seems all too frequent to me that an informational post will come up, there will be a few comments back and forth on the topic, and then the entire thread turns into 'Who can come up with the funniest thing to say about this'.

Prime Example: The Super-Crab in the UK

I had a huge contribution to this thread that may or may not have changed some opinions - but 80% of the thread is full of 'bigger pots!' and 'more butter!' posts - that make no contribution to the resolution of the topic. Yes - I get it, we all want to eat the 80ft crab - but I would personally like to find out if the thing exists, and now that the thread is so polluted, there is no resolution to be found.

That example aside; I see this happen in a number of threads - and I don't hold it against the folks that make a joke, and then contribute something to the conversation - but when your only contribution is your joke, and a follow up joke to someones response to your joke - it detracts from the conversation at hand and eventually leads many threads to a dead end as - as I'm sure is the case for more than just myself - by the time I get to page 3 or 4 and there isn't any relevant information, I give up - or jump to the end where there Might be some information, but now I have to backtrack through the thread to figure out who's talking about what on page 40. ( 5 - 38 were all 'lolz' ).

All I'm sayin, is that it becomes too much to read to bother continuing when everyone's contribution is a one-liner. Anyone actually after information now has to sift through a couple dozen non-complimentary posts to glean the relevant information - and by the time you've read them all, much of the data you've been sifting through has obscured what you were trying to glean.

@)$(*!

though.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DigitalJedi805

Welcome to ATS - home of the smartass!

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Welcome to Earth, where the locals enjoy making each other laugh

I assume you're talking about the thread regarding the utterly fake tabloid picture of the "huge crab" in the water at the UK marina/wharf? Yeah, it's going to be a humorous thread by default, because the insinuation that anyone is stupid enough to buy that as a real photo is simply hilarious XD

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Welcome to Earth, where the locals enjoy making each other laugh

I assume you're talking about the thread regarding the utterly fake tabloid picture of the "huge crab" in the water at the UK marina/wharf? Yeah, it's going to be a humorous thread by default, because the insinuation that anyone is stupid enough to buy that as a real photo is simply hilarious XD

Nothing wrong with making people laugh - I encourage it - but it has a time and place.

And per the crab - give yourself a couple minutes and read My posts on the topic. There was a clear cover-up of the picture the morning that it hit the news. I'll refrain from insulting your intelligence...

BTW // Can you please explain to me how you have an average of over 6000 stars per post? Seems I see this all over the site...
edit on 12-11-2014 by DigitalJedi805 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
" Super-Crab in the UK"

How Did I miss that one?

Good rant!

Peace

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

BTW // Can you please explain to me how you have an average of over 6000 stars per post? Seems I see this all over the site...

Site glitch.

Threads that are preposterous and clearly a hoax garner that kind of response.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

because sometimes certain people are unable to take seriously notions that are outside of their realm of experience, yet they still have the urge to participate, so when you find yourself laughing at a subject but wanting so desperately to participate your only option comes to trying to make them laugh too, jokes in a serious discussion can be welcome if sparingly, but too much and it just comes across as sad lonely people wanting attention.

ETA -

Can you please explain to me how you have an average of over 6000 stars per post? Seems I see this all over the site...
its a glitch with the site thats been around somewhere around a year now, maybe two, its pretty insane they still haven't fixed that glitch, quite honestly it irritates me a little bit. cause i want to know what the legit stats are for users, and i find i ignore it anymore cause it is no longer trustable to be accurate.
edit on 11/12/14 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: pryingopen3rdeye

because sometimes certain people are unable to take seriously notions that are outside of their realm of experience, yet they still have the urge to participate, so when you find yourself laughing at a subject but wanting so desperately to participate your only option comes to trying to make them laugh too, jokes in a serious discussion can be welcome if sparingly, but too much and it just comes across as sad lonely people wanting attention.

ETA -

Can you please explain to me how you have an average of over 6000 stars per post? Seems I see this all over the site...
its a glitch with the site thats been around somewhere around a year now, maybe two, its pretty insane they still haven't fixed that glitch, quite honestly it irritates me a little bit. cause i want to know what the legit stats are for users, and i find i ignore it anymore cause it is no longer trustable to be accurate.

I follow the psychological reasoning; I just feel that as educated users of the internet here - we could go a little further than impulsive chatter and offer some valid conversation.

Thanks for the 'pep talk' though; I must remember to accept such.

top topics

join