It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution a Religion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Scientists have discovered that you will believe anything if someone says scientists have discovered it.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Well that's ironic.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ABeing

Just a conversation starter. The fact is that evolution is a religion, not science

There is no evidence for this "theory", but still a big percentage of people believe it to be true.
edit on 12-11-2014 by OperationBlackRose because: First statement was vague

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: OperationBlackRose
Scientists have discovered that you will believe anything if someone says scientists have discovered it.

Is this really your OP? Maybe you could elaborate as to why you want to treat evolution like a religion? Maybe go over some of your key issues with science and evolution? Why do you think there is no evidence? What do you propose as an alternative theory? Your OP needs to have more substance to it if you expect your thread to go anywhere or have any value.
edit on 11-12-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: OperationBlackRose

I mean, isn't it ironic that you would believe this claim to be true, even though it specifically says that people will believe anything that someone says that scientists say is true? Aren't you falling right into the trap you propose that people who believe evolution to be true are falling into?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I have done my own research for many years, so I can share some with you. The theory of evolution requires millions of years. Without that, evolution can not happen. The truth is that the earth is less that 10 000 years old.

The moon is pulling away form the earth by about 1 foot per year. Now it you take that back, reverse the pulling away, you will find that the gravitational pull from the moon, (that effects the tides), will increase according the Inverse-square law. Then you go back in time, about 10 000 years, the tides created by the moon will create title waves of 700 feet, every 3 hours. Now if that was true, everything would be killed every 3 hours, so nothing could evolved.

That is just one of the proofs against evolution.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ABeing

Not all scientists believe evolution...

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
this whole debate dumb and you are all wrong.
anyone with any sense can tell you that the universe was created by the Great Green Arkleseizure.
anything else, is pointless drivel.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Wrong.

3.8 cm a year.

www.spaceanswers.com...

Why should we listen to anything you say when you can't even get that right.

Proof of evolution? plenty we have seen it happen.

Now forgive me when I post this about your thread.

edit on 12-11-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Also religion is to do with faith.
Science can be observed just like evolution can be.
It has evidence religion has none.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   

There are things that particular creationist argument for the age of the Earth doesn't take into consideration, or flat out ignores. For example the rate of recession is not constant, it hasn't always been 3.82±0.07 cm/year.

But what about the past rate of retreat? Paleontological data directly reveals the periodicity of the tides, from which one can derive what the rate of retreat would be to match the frequency.

This paleontological evidence comes in the form of tidal rhythmites, also known as tidally laminated sediments. Rhythmites have been subjected to intense scrutiny over the last decade or so, and have returned strong results. Williams (1990) reports that 650 million years ago, the lunar rate of retreat was 1.95±0.29 cm/year, and that over the period from 2.5 billion to 650 million years ago, the mean recession rate was 1.27 cm/year. Williams reanalyzed the same data set later (Williams, 1997), showing a mean recession rate of 2.16 cm/year in the period between now and 650 million years ago. That these kinds of data are reliable is demonstrated by Archer (1996). There is also a very good review of the earlier paleontological evidence by Lambeck (1980, chapter 11, paleorotation)

www.talkorigins.org...

edit on 11-12-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

So instead of inch I said foot, big deal. and if you want to say that an inch is 2.45, that is why I said "about".

But great logic! I remembered one thing wrong, and that proves in your mind that I have everything wrong. According to your logic, every person that got something wrong on a test should get 0%....

And before I get comments on grammar, English is not my first language.

But let us do this in a different way. You tell me where everything began, and I will point out all the scientific errors....

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Evolution has nothing to do with how everything began. It might be worth reading up on some basics about evolution before starting a thread on it.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I have 7 years of research. Without the 'big bang', evolution didn't happen, so how can you say it has nothing to do with each other? The big bang set the age of the universe, and the age of the universe set the geological time scale, and that is the 'proof' for evolution.

When did the big bang happen?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I would hate to suggest you have wasted 7 years but evolution does not depend on any specific theory for the creation of the universe.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I have done my own research for many years, so I can share some with you. The theory of evolution requires millions of years. Without that, evolution can not happen. The truth is that the earth is less that 10 000 years old.

The moon is pulling away form the earth by about 1 foot per year. Now it you take that back, reverse the pulling away, you will find that the gravitational pull from the moon, (that effects the tides), will increase according the Inverse-square law. Then you go back in time, about 10 000 years, the tides created by the moon will create title waves of 700 feet, every 3 hours. Now if that was true, everything would be killed every 3 hours, so nothing could evolved.

That is just one of the proofs against evolution.

For your sake I'd hope you don't spend the next 7 years believing faulty facts.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Faith is defined as confidence or trust in a person, thing, deity, view, or in the doctrines or teachings of a religion, as well as confidence based on some degree of warrant. It can also be belief that is not based on proof. The word faith is often used as a synonym for hope, trust, or belief.

Based on the definition above, science and religion are practically the same. We have to believe the scientist (up to some extent) that their studies and experiments are correct. As for the "belief that is not based on proof", well, science call that "theory".

In the past, science and religion were living together it was called "Alchemy".

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Abednego
Science and religion are practically the same other than one has evidence, is repeatable and is falsifiable. So really not the same at all.
Also you have got it completely wrong about what a theory is in science. It is quite different from the everyday usage of the word and requires evidence greater than what would normally be referred to as proof.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   

a reply to: ScepticScot

I have 7 years of research. Without the 'big bang', evolution didn't happen, so how can you say it has nothing to do with each other? The big bang set the age of the universe, and the age of the universe set the geological time scale, and that is the 'proof' for evolution.

When did the big bang happen?

do you even know what evolution is????? Seems to me that you are confused. Evolution and the big bang has nothing to do with each other. Evolution will happen everywhere where there is life, spontaneously created by the big bang, or created by some supernatural being.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
7 years of research and the earth is 10,000 years old and the moon moves 1 ft a year??? Did you get your text books in Texas?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join