It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Atheists Think That Raising Obnoxious and Disrespectful Children is Cool?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Isn't it her constitutional right to say what she wants or do you have an age limit on rights there .

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

What I see is a kid. Not an athiest. Or a white child. Or a middle classed kid with advantage. Or any other label that need not be there. Just a kid.

My beef is with the mom (if she was indeed there) for accepting that kind of behavior and the Atheist bloggers who are giddy about the whole incident.

The kid doesn't know any better, apparently having had some bad examples along the way. I pity the child. The jerks calling it "cute" or "fascinating" or whatever (like the blogger in the OP) do know better.

They just don't care, because religionists are fair game. No holds barred. No-bounds hypocrisy.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Is it normal for people to be preaching at night on a sound system? If that was here in UK I think you'd have more than one little girl telling him to shut up. Why should the public put up with that kind of noise on the streets? I really don't think it has anything to do with athiests but his continuous noise.

He could of been going on like that for hours, we don't know how many people asked him to turn it down.

Breach of the peace.

edit on Fridayam071430Fri, 07 Nov 2014 02:51:13 -0600512014-11-07T02:51:13-06:00k by LadyTrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyTrick

Why should the public put up with that kind of noise on the streets?

Because they were at a Halloween festival? Loud noises are everywhere, and to some degree probably encouraged.

Like the child's behavior, unfortunately.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
buddy every year here in the towns club district we throw an open street party known as guavaween the Saturday before Halloween. Our street preacher is there every year, with the same old signs condemning fornication, immorality, adultery and whatnot I personally think he just enjoy seeing the tits the drunk women love to flash for beads or just plain ol drunken fun. In any case, he is usually around till about two in the am and a handful of people do break down in tears and repent right on the spot throughout the night and leave the fun with some renewed purpose in life.

But if he stays till the clubs let out at 3 then who knows what could happen, which is why I presume he bails an hour before. he is in front of the courthouse downtown a few times a week as well, and people do break down in tears and repent there as well. I have applauded him for his efforts a couple of times myself. A real warrior in my opinion. How long could anyone else attempt to take the verbal abuse these men and women have to endure simply for trying to help others find spirituality within themselves.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Ash yes, all us atheists think this is super excellent and cool. I mean we have to keep up with all the Westboro xtians and isis Muslims that are the be all and end all, defining their respective religions. Rite? ??? I'm an atheist and wish this was my daughter coz she'd make queen of the atheists one day yeah.

Do note the sarcasm dripping from your screens please... Oo

in other news No this is not something I, as an atheist, agree with. "Do you guys..." ugh. .

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Hrmph, my internet speed is laggy tonight, that's taking forever to buffer. But I'll kind of echo another poster and ask if it was a Christian kid yelling at a Satanist, would that be acceptable? Would you folks be applauding her strength of faith then? The answer is likely probably to both, whether or not anyone would actually say it.

Keep double standards in mind, because it's a two-way street.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
i am against organised religion so maybe you could call me an atheist , i have two grown up children and whilst growing up they were well behaved , i always said that when they were ready they would pick the religion they wanted to follow.

believing in a invisible entity in the sky does not make you a better person .
there is more pain and suffering caused in the name of religion than any other cause.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Yeah, I can't stand the street preachers, but he doesn't seem to be actively spreading hate or heckling people really badly. My questions is just why? Why hound the guy? Why let your child be mean and hateful to another human being for no reason?

I don't care whether you agree with him or not, I don't care if you think he's a moron, that's no excuse to treat him like that, and it's certainly no reason to teach your child that this is okay to do.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   

You quote one person twice that is on a site that i have never heard of ,then go on to try to lump all non believers in the same basket . Then to say that it is borderline abuse is just laughable . Is it any more abuse than dressing kids up in ridiculous clothes and making them sing every Sunday . Talk about parrots for hire . Indoctrinating kids into believing in some mythical being before they are old enough to make their own choices smacks of bad parenting to me . Not so you say , how is this different than Muslims teaching their kids that all non believers need jihad against them , but i am sure you will put these Muslims into the bad parenting bracket just because it doesn't sit well with your religious beliefs . As i mentioned earlier its her right to say what she wants . You want your constitutional rights don't whine when they have been exorcised . Do you want to answer the door the next time the 7 day god botherers come around .

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
One bright little girl that is.
If a person uses a loud speaker to tell everyone they are sinners etc usual BS that little girl has the right to shout back at him.
Heck I do the same when I see street preachers in the street, I will shout as loud as them telling others it is BS.
I would buy that kid a lolly pop.
Good for her.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnIntellectualRedneck
Yeah, I can't stand the street preachers, but he doesn't seem to be actively spreading hate or heckling people really badly. My questions is just why? Why hound the guy? Why let your child be mean and hateful to another human being for no reason?

I don't care whether you agree with him or not, I don't care if you think he's a moron, that's no excuse to treat him like that, and it's certainly no reason to teach your child that this is okay to do.

It should be mocked.

Oh and I believe in God just not religion.
edit on 7-11-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Let's all pretend this isn't a religion vs atheism thing for a second. This little girl is being disrespectful IMO. Yeah go ahead and make the argument that the guy shouting into the blow-horn is being disrespectful. I don't know the time of night or location this took place but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's public property and it isn't yet past "quiet hours". Even if it's not though, talking to people with respect accomplishes more than shouting at them without it.

Btw I am an atheist, and I do agree many things Christians say are laughable. But I don't think we're going to get through to them mocking them or treating them like they are less intelligent (because that's not necessarily the case).

Positive atheism my friends! It goes a long way.
edit on 11-7-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
People dont want to hear about their sinful nature. They just wanna hear about how good they are. They want their ego stroked. As society continues to deteriorate, people's morals continue to go down the drain. No atheist wants to pay attention to some crazed religious fanatic ranting on the street, but I think he has a good message, even if it is littered with dogma.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I find the whole thing quite laughable.a child screaming at an adult screaming is NOT the problem! It's just a symptom.

Children learn what they live. Adults, both christian and non-christian, live their life as pretty poor role models all too often.

It puzzles me why people feel they need to have someone interpret a book for them, and hand them a belief system. I see ALL religions doing this, and have had a good many years of personally witnessing how it often times brings the opposite what religion is supposedly accomplishing.

Some of the most ungodly people I've ever met are some of the dedicated to their religious belief system.

Common decency, regardless of race, beliefs or economic status, should be taught- and not by mouth, but by example.

I see a child who has observed in her life that screaming at people is acceptable. I have seen more screaming preachers than screaming children in my life. Do people really need to scream to get their point across? Do you scream at people? How's that work for you?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

1. How do you know that her parents are atheists? Maybe she's tired of hearing this guy yell and interrupt the peaceful Halloween celebration evening. She could be a Christian, for all we know. Right?

2. He's screaming - She's screaming. What's the difference? Should his rights to free speech trump hers?

3. It doesn't sound like the mother was "encouraging" her, but simply smiling and laughing. And what about this BOY'S mother? He's going into a Halloween celebration and shouting at the top of his lungs about how everyone there is wrong for their celebrating. He's forcing them to hear his religious ranting. He's as bad as those Westboro Baptist whack-os who picket at funerals.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I haven't read the thread yet. I wanted to respond directly to your OP without tainting my original thoughts...

Personally, I think this is staged. I'm an atheist, and I would never let my granddaughter do such a thing. Nevertheless, I have seen worse behavior from xtians by far. Especially the ones who train their little ones to say..."Ain't no homo's going to heaven". The average atheist would not act this way, and wouldn't allow their children to either. So how about you OP? Would you teach your kids this? And cheer them when they sang it? FF to about 30 seconds to get right to it...

edit on 11/7/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
wow! Is about the only response I have after reading through the arguments and seeing that some of you find this acceptable!
I have seen this first hand by a child to another handicapped child and the parent thought it was funny and edged it on.

I guess I need to say thanks because now I understand why our younger generation does not have respect for others.
We can change all the laws we want but what use will it be if this is the way we treat others.

If you disagree fine, just agree to disagree.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: RunForTheHills

So in your opinion yelling at people with a microphone is fine but a child yelling at him to stop is apalling?

Agree to disagree goes both ways. I wish his parents taught him to not scream at people. She's a child, what's his excuse?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

He's screaming - She's screaming. What's the difference? Should his rights to free speech trump hers?

If thats a sincere question then I suggest getting some mental help. Try to not let your pride get in the way of your recovery.

And no, his free speech shouldnt trump her's. I

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join