It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

break dancing from the 80's.....bringing back memories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
who was a fan?
when i was a kid break dancing was super popular.....
then of course beat street came out(which is the only break dancing movie as far as im concerned) and it rocketed these guys to fame...especially the rock steady crew.

i bet these kids from the bronx never would have thought they would travel the world getting paid to dance....crazy legs has been to india, africa, etc.....
thats so cool....

the rock steady crew still dances and crazy legs is still the leader.....
he seems like a pretty cool guy.....

apparently as per the rules, if youre a student and you want to dance with rock steady you have to keep a 4.o g.p.a
i thought that was cool....

anyway, who was a fan?

this is the opening battle from beat street.....it shows crazy legs, buck 4, kuriaki, frosty freeze and others....

this goes back a long way and its going to look really dated but i still think its cool.

i was 6 when this came out and thought it was the coolest thing ever

roxy battle....starts about .45 seconds in

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

this goes back a long way and its going to look really dated but i still think its cool.

Breakdancing will always be cool here. I'd see this type of stuff in my high school's cafeteria.

Great video

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
S & F!!

Yes!! I'm a kid of the 80's, and I wish we could go back in time....

Last week, I was flipping through the channels and came across an oldie but goodie: BREAKIN' 2 ELECTRIC BOOGLAOO

Who can forget 'Turbo's' epic dance on the ceiling?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Yep. I remember my friends bringing a sheet of cardboard to school. Someone else would bring the "ghetto blaster". During recess, it was on! Of course, we pretty much sucked, but it was so much fun.

I just watched Beat Street on Netflix last month. Might still be on there. Movie is kind of lame now days, but the battles are still on point. I really wish a serious film maker would make a movie representing the B-Boy culture. The battles, MC's, graffiti, the whole culture.
edit on 6-11-2014 by jtrenthacker because: words is hard

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
Yep. I remember my friends bringing a sheet of cardboard to school. Someone else would bring the "ghetto blaster". During recess, it was on! Of course, we pretty much sucked, but it was so much fun.

I just watched Beat Street on Netflix last month. Might still be on there. Movie is kind of lame now days, but the battles are still on point. I really wish a serious film maker would make a movie representing the B-Boy culture. The battles, MC's, graffiti, the whole culture.

I love that one too.

Whenever these oldies but goodies come on, I sit my children down with me (and I have a 17yr old too) to watch and commentate during the commercials.

What I point out to them is for them to see that there so much less violence, not only in the movies, but in society back in those days.

Had 'beef' with someone? Challenge them to a dance-off!! No fists, no guns..

We even remark on how the music (breakdancing music included) was different. You listen to those songs and you don't hear how they are gonna 'kill somebody tonight' or have a lot of 'irresponsible sex tonight'...

Ohhh, take me back.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Wild Style was actually one of the first Break dancing movies with the original players.

Another memorable moment was when they had the break dancing competition on TV with the Dynamic Breakers. It was an amazing competition.

You can't forget New York City breakers - the originals.

It was a fun time. I remember different towns battling each other and battles at the roller rinks.

All you needed was a piece of cardboard and a boom box to have a good time.

Music was awesome back then too.

Breakin was well alive into the the 90's Rave era with breakbeat music.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

new york city breakers and the rocksteady crew would battle all the time..
rocksteady is still around....they tour the world

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit
I used to go to their reunions in small city parks. As they progressed to bigger venues, things got cornier and cornier.

top topics

join