It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Thread titles suck

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Thread titles with "breaking" in them are pretty lame days and even weeks later. Please they annoy me.

And, no, I don't care if the source you got it from had it in there. That's a whole different situation, plus they actually remove the "breaking" part. Here it lasts for freaking ever.

Thank you for allowing me to rant.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Your thread title sucks!

I know what you mean, and agree.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I also dislike the ones that says: what you are not being told

you are telling it no?

and something something, here is why (like: i dont like "here is why" in titles, and here is why)

here is why??? no crap i though i would find other things in here not the topic you made
edit on 29-10-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

example

Ebola - What You're Not Being Told

Not Getting Enough Traffic? Here’s Why
edit on 29-10-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
most people on this site are more interested in personal publicity than in the actual news being posted, so you will always find these exaggerated titles, it's a cheap way to get people's attention to your post.
Sadly, as long as it works, the trend will never go away

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity
And what about "Official", meaning "this is my strongly-held opinion"?
Listen, guys, nothing is "official" until it's been announced by someone who holds office, and has authority to say so.

edit on 29-10-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Listen, guys, nothing is "official" until it's been announced by someone who holds office, and has authority to say so.

Or 'CONFIRMED!'.... when the source is a blog.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

Or, the old. "This is the official" whatever thread. Like the site owners appointed that person to make that thread about whatever it is that particular "official" thread is about

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I have used 'Breaking' in the past. It helps in distinguishing the news from other topics on the 'live' and 'new' tabs. Not to mention is lessens confusion with other possibly similar events through the assertion that the event is separate and newsworthy.

I don't really care though. I will continue to use it as i determine its suitability.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I agree with you. If it's breaking, then it's breaking. If you had to go back and request permission to change it to remove breaking after it's actually done breaking, there would be lots of busy folks going back and forth trying to keep up with what has broken and what hasn't.

I'm dizzy after that.

When people post actual articles they link to, they are supposed to use the headline that was used in the article linked. A lot of times those are misleading, but it is what you're supposed to do. It makes searching easier that way as well. If people are posting "breaking" willy nilly and falsely the best one could do is alert it. We can't read everything that pops up all the time.

One man's "breaking" is inevitably another man's "WTH? This is not worthy". It is what it is.

So OP, if it's a hinky title that you feel is incorrect, you can always alert it. It might not always be changed, but there's no harm in trying.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 10/29/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Hahahahaha! I know! It's driving me crazy!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

But anything new is probably breaking. Particularly by the very definition of the rules for the news threads?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I agree that it's used more than it should be.
If it's not in the title of the article, it really shouldn't be used in the thread title. I have seen it changed on occasion when it's been caught. The problem is that not everything can be caught.

And you will have folks use it to purposefully get folks to click... which is wrong. If it's being abused it is generally addressed (again... If caught).
edit on 10/29/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Too true.

Some great comments here.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
And so it begins.....

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Don't forget "This is HUGE"

*smh*

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Or OMG OMG!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: blupblup

Or OMG OMG!

I was gong to put "Holy Michael Bay NASA" for the breaking Antares explosion....
But I knew as I was writing it. No one would catch on what I was pitching...
And thought at least 3 or more op's were already starting threads too..
With a to the point Breaking news...

ETA: I've seen this happen before..
Someone will start an actual first/original thread( with a not catchy title) only to have another come along 1 minute later( use BREAKING ) and get all the flags and stars..
Leaving the original to be forgotten..

edit on 29-10-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

"OFFICIAL BREAKING HUGE CONFIRMED OMG OMG WHAT YOU'RE NOT BEING TOLD.... DESTROYED!" It could happen...

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Yeah man, I dig what your saying and I have to agree, YOUR thread title does suck. Too much sucklage and leakage in the world if you asked me.. in my HUMBLEONE opinion.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Hahahaha. Leakage. I kinda like leakage more than suckage.

new topics

top topics

join