posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:28 AM
Here in Texas where I live we have rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths, and coral snakes. Pretty much every venomous snake indigenous to North
America, and the most common in my particular area are cottonmouths and copperheads. I see at least one cottonmouth and five copperheads every summer.
One summer there were almost fifteen copperheads around a decorative pond in the back yard, all in a single night!!! I suppose they were looking for
water, but not really sure. It seems that the particular area my house is in, out in the country, is bordered on all sides by woods, and that they
cross in this open area a lot. They're always lying under stuff, and I am always extremely careful whenever stepping where there are a lot of brown
leaves, or where I have to reach down and pick something up or turn it over.
I've actually seen what a copperhead bite does firsthand, and it is not terribly bad if one seeks treatment immediately. It is not likely to kill an
adult, and it is pretty hard to get bitten by one of these snakes unless you simply don't see it. Now what happened with the girl in the article is
unusual, in that she waited an extremely long time before she sought medical treatment. So the reason we don't see stuff like this very often is
because most people will seek medical attention long before the girl in the article. So the venom had nothing to counteract it, and it basically just
ate away her leg, unchecked, for all that time. I have heard stories of people who have gotten bitten by rattlesnakes and not sought medical
treatment, and they somehow lived, but I don't know if those stories are true. Sometimes a snake will bite without envenomating the person, but
supposedly there are people who have been around snakes a lot and who have repeatedly gotten bitten without severe effects. They did lose some of the
functionality of their limbs, but there was not really any cosmetic damage. So I suppose venom is worse for some people, but I am not really sure.
Whenever I see a venomous snake, which again is relatively often, I kill them. No ifs, ands, or buts. I will leave the non-venomous snakes alone, so
they can go eat mice or whatever, but when you have a snake that will instinctively strike you if you happen to not notice it, and that snake is
around where you and your family live, then obviously it cannot stay. It would be worse to attempt to relocate it to a non-populated area, because
most people probably get bit from trying to handle snakes. I don't like killing things, but it is too dangerous to leave the snakes in my opinion.
I've heard of stupid people getting bitten because they try to mess with a venomous snake. Many of these people are not professional herpetologists
or anything, but just ordinary people who have no experience with snakes, much less those of the venomous variety. And they try to pick them up
sometimes, which is Darwin Award territory in my opinion. I used to watch that show where people with snakebites show up at the emergency room, and
that is what happened on some episodes.
I fear the cottonmouths/water moccasins more than the copperheads that I usually see. I killed a cottonmouth in my front yard just the other day. He
had already bitten a frog on its back, as I could see the puncture marks and could see the area around the bite where there were blood vessels and
whatnot showing. It was quite strange-looking. The copperheads aren't aggressive, and usually will only strike if you step on them or agitate them
severely. They usually just won't move at all, or they will try to slither away. I have seen cottonmouths that are much less afraid of people, and
are sometimes downright aggressive. So where snakebites are concerned, I say that people who live in areas where there are snakes should take
precautions to keep from getting bitten. Don't stick your hands anywhere where a snake could be hiding, which they will be doing just about any time
between morning and night, and don't try to mess with a snake at all. If you're going to kill it, use something long like a shovel, and don't miss.
And then make sure you bury it, or throw it somewhere where no people or animals go. I would bury it, simply because the fangs will still be there,
and if you or an animal stepped on them there could still be a slight envenomation.