It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC Now Claims Ebola is "Transmittable" by Coughing - Sneezing ??

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

You should direct that at the BBC. Here in the US they have always said it is droplet transmission, which includes coughs and sneezes at close range.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Maybe you should tell the Mayor of New York, Bill De Blasio, because he doesn't seem to be aware of that. I quote:

"Ebola is an extremely hard disease to contract. It is transmitted only through contact with an infected person's blood or other bodily fluids, not through casual contact."

Not "an extremely hard disease to contract" at all if you can get it from coughs and sneezes!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

I am sorry, do bodily fluids not get ejected on a cough or sneeze?? Am I missing something? I think it is pretty clear from what he said that if you get bodily fluids on you you could catch Ebola...

I think the point he was poorly trying to make is that you can't catch Ebola just by being near them and breathing the same air.

And yes, even a disease that can spread from coughs and sneezes is hard to catch...You literally have to get sneezed on...

The flu is spread by coughs and sneezes...AND BREATHING. The flu attaches to the tiny aerosols that make up the gas cloud involved with a sneeze or cough. Ebola can't do that. The Aerosols that Ebola can attach to drop to the ground within 3-6 feet.
edit on 30-10-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

OMG, dude. Stop. Just stop.

Like, no way, man...

It isn't airborne, and it can't travel into air vents. It doesn't have the capability of attaching to small enough droplets and would have to mutate orders of magnitude to be able to do that.

I have long since stopped calling this mode of transmission airborne, and you might want reevaluate the size of droplets you think is possible to which the virus can attach:

The potential of aerogenic infection by Ebola virus was established by using a head-only exposure aerosol system. Virus-containing droplets of 0.8-1.2 microns were generated and administered into the respiratory tract of rhesus monkeys via inhalation.

Lethal experimental infections of rhesus monkeys by aerosolized Ebola virus.

Now according to the above quoted excerpt "virus-containing droplets of 0.8 to 1.2 microns were generated." So that would indicate, to me at least, that the virus can indeed be attached to droplets of this size. I think that this is fairly clear an unambiguous, I mean I could be wrong.

Furthermore:

Our key findings are as follows. The turbulent multiphase cloud plays a critical role in extending the range of the majority of pathogen-bearing drops that accompany human coughs and sneezes. Smaller droplets (less than 50 µm diameter) can remain suspended in the cloud long enough for the cough to reach heights where ventilation systems can be contaminated (4–6 m).

Violent expiratory events: on coughing and sneezing direct pdf link

Help me out here, but unless I am mistaken "droplets of 0.8-1.2 microns" are significantly "less than 50 µm diameter" and thus " can remain suspended in the cloud long enough for the cough to reach heights where ventilation systems can be contaminated (4–6 m)."

edit on 30-10-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: fixed link

edit on 30-10-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: cludgey wording changed

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

More proof you aren't familiar with the science behind it.

What is the very next part of the quote that you didn't bold:

and administered into the respiratory tract of rhesus monkeys via inhalation.

So they literally sprayed it into their nose...

Then, you apparently didn't read any of the PDF's...

Viral transmission through the air has not been reported to occur during EVD outbreaks.[3] Transmission among rhesus monkeys via breathable 0.8–1.2 μm aerosolized droplets has been demonstrated in the laboratory.[38] The apparent lack of airborne transmission among humans may be due to levels of the virus in the lungs that are insufficient to cause new infections.

Edit: You're basically saying "I am not saying it's airborne, but it's airborne."

edit on 30-10-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Important Topic Updates

Well now the CDC has "amended" the info sheet !!!!!

Very different from the other day.

Hmmm.

New CDC confusion over Ebola as it deletes warning that virus can spread through coughs and sneezes from its website

It has replaced the old language with new guidance that says there's 'no evidence' Ebola is spread through either

The CDC also took down on Thursday a poster that said that Ebola can be transferred through 'droplets' on hard surfaces, like doorknobs

It's unclear why the CDC abruptly changed it's Ebola advisories

The quiet removal of information follows a public health campaign by Sen. Rand Paul to get the CDC to be 'forthright' about Ebola transfer

Somebody's Playing Games !!

<< 4  5  6   >>

join