It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon Bombshell! Church Admits Founder Had 14 Year Old Bride!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If you all bother to check your own genology records you will find that most of you came from teenagers somewhere in your tree. It is still legal today in some states to marry at 14 with parental consent. This is not a bombshell at all compared to the rest of smith's stories.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: th3dudeabides
a reply to: Hefficide

Mormons are a cult. A dangerous anti-American cult.

Ignorance. They are a Christian religion.

They do tend to spend most of their time with other Mormons partly because of how they organize.

You go to an assigned church "ward" at a specific time. The reason is they group by geographic location. You are grouped as neighbors. It's practical. It makes it easier to help each other. As family and charity is their focal point.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
Even if sexless - does marriage to a child in puberty not violate the very spirit that religion is supposed to foster?

Ask Christianity. Joseph the carpenter was in his mid-30's when he married Mary, who was 14 or 15.

I leave it in your worthy hands, ATS, to work out the quirks and kinks in the concepts here. I, myself, find no excuse for any grown man to marry a girl barely in her teens. To me it seems inexcusable.

Marrying a teenager was actually a pretty common practice back in the day. At least it was considered more acceptable than being a polygamist. So I think J. Smith has to answer for those accusations before answering for marrying a teenager.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Well technically he is right. All religions are cults.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
M'eh. Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 yo cousin back in the 50's.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

They do tend to spend most of their time with other Mormons partly because of how they organize.

You go to an assigned church "ward" at a specific time. The reason is they group by geographic location. You are grouped as neighbors. It's practical. It makes it easier to help each other. As family and charity is their focal point.

Agreed. I'm still Mormon but I have a hard time going to church and activities and such. I just try to be a nice person and yes it is a Christian religion so its mostly about Jesus Christ. I would say the vast majority of people I talk to and are around are Mormon too and they are very nice, respectful of people with other believes too.
edit on 27-10-2014 by shamaniski because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well technically he is right. All religions are cults.

Depends on the source of definition.

This is Merriam Webster's main definition: : a small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion and that has beliefs regarded by many people as extreme or dangerous

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Mormons are not Christian. They denies the basic doctorines of Christianity.
In Christianity sins are forgiven through Jesus Christ.. mormonism denies this.
Mormons believes God has a body of flesh and bones and Jesus is a one of his spirit children when in Christianity Jesus is a only son of God.
Mormons believes that there are countless Gods and Christianity and other Abrahamic religions say there is only one God.
and much much more which are totally outside a Bible... therefor Mormons are not Christians

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka

Mormons are not Christian. They denies the basic doctorines of Christianity.
In Christianity sins are forgiven through Jesus Christ.. mormonism denies this.
Mormons believes God has a body of flesh and bones and Jesus is a one of his spirit children when in Christianity Jesus is a only son of God.
Mormons believes that there are countless Gods and Christianity and other Abrahamic religions say there is only one God.
and much much more which are totally outside a Bible... therefor Mormons are not Christians

The full name of the church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. So technically its christian. I could make up my own religion and name it Jesus is the Bomb and it would be christian.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: shamaniski

Agreed. I'm still Mormon but I have a hard time going to church and activities and such. I just try to be a nice person and yes it is a Christian religion so its mostly about Jesus Christ.

I loved it. Great organization. Great philosophy.

They lost a lot of members because of the Leaders involvement in Prop 8. But, I know many within are working to change that.

Sorry, getting off track.

I did a lot of research during my years. The info on Joseph Smith's wives, including the 14 year old is available to read. It was not secret.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Mormonism is not a cult.

No offense intended. That is my opinion of all "figure-based" religions.

noun: cult · plural noun: cults
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: shamaniski

Name doesn´t make it Christian the doctorine is where you should see the differences between. There has been multiple cults in name of Jesus and mormonism is one of them.
There is a Siberian Jesus ( Vissarion )too a person who thinks he is a reincarnation of Jesus Christ and there is a bunch of followers too. See the point name doesn´t mean anything when its a cult.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Well it would be hard to find an official definition of cult that would say what I said since it is insulting to any major religion to call it a cult. But consider this. All religions start out as a cult, since they all have to start out as a "small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion". Also, the second half of that definition is silly. All new religious ideas are considered extreme or dangerous (that's why they are new). The cult then grow into large scale as they influence more and more people. So at what point does a cult stop being a cult and become a religion? I reason that is never. Though I'm sure it makes people upset for me to say that about their religions.
edit on 27-10-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

a reply to: shamaniski

Name doesn´t make it Christian the doctorine is where you should see the differences between. There has been multiple cults in name of Jesus and mormonism is one of them.
There is a Siberian Jesus ( Vissarion )too a person who thinks he is a reincarnation of Jesus Christ and there is a bunch of followers too. See the point name doesn´t mean anything when its a cult.

I'm basically saying its all about Jesus. If you follow what he did, or at least try to do. You are Christian in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Mormons are not Christian.

They are Christian, whether you think so or not. Their only savior is Jesus Christ.

There are something like 1300 different Christian sects in America alone. They all have differences, with one common denominator.

Back to thread topic.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well it would be hard to find an official definition of cult that would say what I said since it is insulting to any major religion to call it a cult. But consider this. All religions start out as a cult, since they all have to start out as a "small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion". Also, the second half of that definition is silly. All new religious ideas are considered extreme or dangerous (that's why they are new). The cult then grow into large scale as they influence more and more people. So at what point does a cult stop being a cult and become a religion? I reason that is never. Though I'm sure it makes people upset for me to say that about their religions.

I'm atheist.

So, you're sorta talking to the choir.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Mormons are not Christian.

They are Christian, whether you think so or not. Their only savior is Jesus Christ.

There are something like 1300 different Christian sects in America alone. They all have differences, with one common denominator.

Back to thread topic.

And over 2 billion Christians in the World. Almost one forth of all people. Mormons only make up about one third of a percent of the total population though.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
To say all religions are cults is in very bad taste and imo it is like saying that all women are another 4 letter c word. Nothing good can come from lumping together so many that have so many differences and it shows a huge amount of disrespect we could all do without. However with that said... my religion is right and yours is wrong.lol

I think the southpark episode about joe is a must watch.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I know your beliefs. I was just fleshing out my point since you posted a definition that didn't gel with what I was saying.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Yes, you think it is in bad taste to call your religion a cult. But how about explaining why it ISN'T a cult, because from all appearances to an outsider, it IS a cult.

To me, the only difference I see between a cult and a religion, is scale. Which means that all a cult has to do to drop that derogatory label, is just get a bunch of followers. It's not like their beliefs have to be vindicated or anything since there a bunch of major religions, all with VASTLY different beliefs.
edit on 27-10-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join