It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mount Mannen in Norway expected to collapse within two days

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Geo-illogically, it's a minor thing.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
a reply to: CranialSponge

I visited the Frank Slide a few years ago. It was a sobering experience since not only does the area the slide covered amaze me, but that Turtle remains unstable. Rather an uncomfortable place to be at.

At least people are aware in this Norwegian case.

Here's a video about the Frank Slide:

I live less than an hour from the Frank slide, and pass through it several times a year, every time I do it is a surreal experience.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
That's weird, what on earth could cause an entire mountain to collapse I wonder.

The official line from the geologists is that the mountain is just a bit unstable and that this is a natural event caused. However, I smell a rat!

Regards

Oh, let me guess...

The CIA did it...

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
If you have nothing else to do and you like to see paint dry or grass grow, the live webcam is up again

Live from Mount Mannen

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
That's weird, what on earth could cause an entire mountain to collapse I wonder.

The official line from the geologists is that the mountain is just a bit unstable and that this is a natural event caused. However, I smell a rat!

Regards

What possible rat can you smell about a large, but perfectly natural event occurring in an area known for being prone to such events?

That's like being suspicious of an earthquake in Southern California.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
The latest info, is the part of the mountain that is about to collapse is moving 2 to 3 cm a day, it has speeded up since the latest days 7mm a day, some rain during the night is likely the cause for the acceleration.

Here is an old article but with some good pics of the part that is to collapse.
Click me
I saw a heli flyover in the livestream and the part is huge.

edit on 27-10-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Does anyone think that the rockslide will dam up that river down below? Is that a river that goes anywhere that a loss of water flow will be a problem? Also if it does dam up the river can the upstram portion contain the water or will it be diverted and possibly make the situation worse?

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Taking a tour from the MAPS link was breathtaking in its beauty. I would love to someday drive the Trollstigen. I certainly hope for the best for all involved.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: howmuch4another

I have family in Norway - not that far from Romsdale, as it goes - and can confirm it's an incredible place. Friendly, highly educated people too.

If you do go, take as much money as you can carry - it's astonishingly expensive! Everything is excellent quality though.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
One link on the page says "landslide could happen today or it could happen in a month". One man has refused to move, and they are letting him stay put, are not forcefully evacuating him.

Chrome translates the article as:

According to geologist Lars Harald Blikra the situation by "man" unchanged.
VG follows

Rasdramaet in Rauma

- The mountain moves at the same speed as before, says Blikra NTB at 12 o'clock Sunday.

There may be a few days before "The Man" races out.

- If there is a lot of rain, it can accelerate the slide. But it has not reached such large quantities that it has some special significance, according Blikra, which is the chief geologist at the National Center for avalanches monitoring.

Measurements from the mountain, "Mediator" in Rauma has triggered landslides alarm, and precipitation can accelerate the situation. According to geologists should be no more than a downpour before up to 120,000 cubic stone can breed.

BACKGROUND: - The situation is unchanged

- There may be more rain throughout the day. Tonight is expecting 10 to 20 millimeters. There has not been much of rainfall in the night, but it's starting to get a little rain on the coast, telling duty weather forecaster at the Norwegian Meteorological Institute Arnstein Tjøstheim VG Sunday morning.

VGTV: Jarle (80) has been involved in landslide in Rauma

There has been a significant movement in the mountains in recent days. The rubble has moved seven millimeters a day, according to geologists who work on site.

The mountain is under constant surveillance.

- We follow the movements all the time and call duties on technical and geological side, says Blikra.

In recent days, the area has been cordoned off for public access, but residents have been moving to and from the houses with police approval. During Saturday should the area be closed off completely.

edit on 28-10-2014 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: OpinionatedB
It's quite common actually. On any loose configuration of material the killer ingredient is water. Water behaves like a lubricant and as it filter and builds up pockets in fissures this leads to the collapse of the grounds integrity. The one everyone should fear is one of the Canary Islands. I saw a program on it a few years ago but can't remember which island. Sooner or later half the island will slip into the sea through water ingress into the empty volcanic chambers that split the island. We're talking here of a few million tons of soil displacement. When that happens it is estimated tsunamis a mile or more high rushing across the Atlantic and back again. Think what that would do to the US eastern seaboard.

I too saw a story on that. The island is La Palma. And apparently the danger isn't in just the accumulated water, but an eruption of the volcano itself.

As I recall, they've drilled many horizontal shafts to drain the water. they can't drain an eruption though.

rense.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

interesting article, there have been a couple of these types of slide close to where I live. Mount Breakenridge close to where i work could collapse and send an inland mega tsunami right at my office.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I will actually thank you for your intelligent explanation . a reply to: crayzeed

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Is it a massive sink hole?

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Instead of making a new post I will revive this one.

It seems like the mountain is about to crack now, it moved 9cm last 24h.

Norwegian news paper with live video of the mountain

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wojwoda
Instead of making a new post I will revive this one.

It seems like the mountain is about to crack now, it moved 9cm last 24h.

Norwegian news paper with live video of the mountain

I think this is essentially what they were saying three years ago.

We could be waiting another three....

MR

top topics

<< 1   >>

join