It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mount Mannen in Norway expected to collapse within two days

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

There has been a significant movement in the mountains in recent days. The rubble has moved seven millimeters a day, according to geologists who work on site. Mountain is constantly monitored. - We follow the movements all the time and call duties on technical and geological side, says Blikra. In recent days, the area has been cordoned off for public access, but residents have been moving to and from the houses with police approval. During Saturday should the area be closed off completely.

people have been evacuated from the area. If there will be more rain it might collapse sooner.
live camera
LINK

edit on 26-10-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Tell me , is the mountain near the sea....is there a chance of tsunami action....

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Interesting. But I cannot understand the writing on the link. The camera view on the link doesn't open for me either, could be a computer software problem though.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Nah, it's not near the sea. It's not a million miles away from the sea, but there's no chance of a tsunami.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Quite close it locates in area called Rauma
MAPS

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

TextThe mountain is called Mannen (The Man) and its soars 1,200 meters above the small settlement of Horgheim in the Rauma area of Møre og Romsdal County. The scenic area between Dombås and Åndalsnes is close to the famed Trollstigen mountain highway that switch-backs up and down the rocky mountainside, and it’s also close to a popular area for parachuters and BASE hoppers.

www.newsinenglish.no...

Sry, I'm not quite sure how to add a link

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: JessicaRabbitTx

Thanks

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
How much of it is expected to shear off? An entire upcropping? just the face?

No info.

Peace

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Expecting 120 000 cubic meters of stone coming down there. ( said under the picture "Horgheim 20141025. Experts from the Public Roads Administration in helicopter Saturday to inspect the mountain man in Romsdal where 120,000 cubic stone is about to race down. To monitor the situation, geologists installed a variety of sensors on the mountain to follow the movements. Residents in the area have been evacuated. Photo: Tore Meek / Scanpix NTB" )
Link
edit on 26-10-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

That's weird, what on earth could cause an entire mountain to collapse I wonder. Those things are usually fairly sturdy! It's a very interesting phenomenon to say the least.

Hopefully everyone will be able to move to safe areas and no one injured. Sad that anyone would have to move though... that would be a loss for those people in and of itself!

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
That's weird, what on earth could cause an entire mountain to collapse I wonder.

The official line from the geologists is that the mountain is just a bit unstable and that this is a natural event caused. However, I smell a rat!

Regards

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

That's weird, what on earth could cause an entire mountain to collapse I wonder. Those things are usually fairly sturdy! It's a very interesting phenomenon to say the least.

Hopefully everyone will be able to move to safe areas and no one injured. Sad that anyone would have to move though... that would be a loss for those people in and of itself!

There is a part of the mountain that is unstable in an area that's known to be unstable in general.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB
It's quite common actually. On any loose configuration of material the killer ingredient is water. Water behaves like a lubricant and as it filter and builds up pockets in fissures this leads to the collapse of the grounds integrity. The one everyone should fear is one of the Canary Islands. I saw a program on it a few years ago but can't remember which island. Sooner or later half the island will slip into the sea through water ingress into the empty volcanic chambers that split the island. We're talking here of a few million tons of soil displacement. When that happens it is estimated tsunamis a mile or more high rushing across the Atlantic and back again. Think what that would do to the US eastern seaboard.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

wish it would happen pretty soon and with out warning and wash away D.C. and about a 1000 of it's certain inhabitants. well maybe not that many, some are not that bad.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Oooh, bad day at black rock for the eastern seaboard but not who you would like wiped out. Tsunami travel about 250 to 300 mph, that means Washington would get a couple of hours warning. Now think on that. Who would get emergency evacuation from the danger area in that event? Let me tell you it would not be the normal people. The ones you want rid of would be flew out well before it hit.
edit on 26-10-2014 by crayzeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The Canary Islands volcano which is dangerously unstable is called Cumbre Vieja

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Thankfully they have enough forewarning to be able to evacuate people from the area. People may lose their homes, but homes can be replaced. Lives, on the other hand, cannot.

Fingers crossed that the entire area is evacuated when the collapse finally happens.

This makes me think of the infamous Frank Slide on Turtle Mountain in Alberta circa 1903... no forewarning, no nothing... and half the town was buried under 100,000+ tons of rock while they slept in their beds.

One of the risks of living close to the mountains, unfortunately.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I visited the Frank Slide a few years ago. It was a sobering experience since not only does the area the slide covered amaze me, but that Turtle remains unstable. Rather an uncomfortable place to be at.

At least people are aware in this Norwegian case.

Here's a video about the Frank Slide:

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

yea i didn't think about that but surly at least some would be caught, i mean if the everyday joe started seeing them booking outta dodge, people would catch on and some would get caught in the panic.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I very much doubt a tsunami could be possible in this case after looking at the area in danger from a rock slide if you see the pic offered in the OP's link:

edit on 26/10/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join