It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawsuit Accusing Led Zeppelin of "Stairway" Theft, Proceeds.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Petros312

And Jimmy Page was a Pedophile. Don't forget that!

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TWILITE22
...I just wanted to interject that both Taurus and Led Zeppelin can take it one step further and sue Dolly Parton with "We Use To" I never heard this song before but this very subject came on npr and I was quite surprise Dolly Parton was mentioned I've always admired her singer/song writing career. it looks like lawsuits are normal in the music industry just part of the business.

But what can and what cannot be copyrighted is a matter of law, not somebody's vague concept of "artistic integrity." If you think you can support that playing a minor chord at a certain tempo as an arpeggio with a descending bass line was your own creation, then you may have a case. But it's not the case. The truth is plenty of songs have a minor chord with a bass line that descends from the root. For example:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Sorry I took so long to respond to tell you the truth I have no background in music but I have learned a little bit reading this thread,all I know is what I like to listen to which is mostly all types of music.I also enjoyed your debate as you seem to know a lot about music, is it a hobby or are you a professional? btw love love Willie Nelson!!
grew up listing to the greats of rock and roll, Led Zeppelin Pink Floyd,Elvis all the greats. Obviously the line between borrowing and copyright infringement is a thin line and seem to be crossed frequently in the music world.I did do some reading on the subject and really opened my eyes from the being inspired to full blown plagiarism across the board in the entertainment business,musicians,authors,ect ect...and some of the biggest names in these industries! how much of it is true is another matter.
I know Led Zeppelin always stated they were heavily influence some of the great blues performers.but they had their own sound in my opinion that made it unique to them which made them so popular I just think there just after the money because if it was plagiarism as they state it would have been in court a long time ago and not by the family. what its been 40 plus years ago?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vaedur
a reply to: Petros312

And Jimmy Page was a Pedophile. Don't forget that!

I'm pretty sure lots of musicians from the past are sitting sweating.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I think a statute of limitations should apply. Forty years is ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned it's LZ's song. They took a few notes and made them something memorable. Spirit did not.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
a reply to: blackcatmagic

Don't get me wrong, Zepp were a great band, but:

I disagree with the premise behind this. Most major bands from that era could have similar videos made about them, and for many of them the covers where their biggest hit. Some did it more than others, but they all did enough to have similar videos with no context.

Hendrix - All Along The Watch Tower, Hey Joe with 29 total
Santana - Oye Como Va, Black Magic Woman with 34 total
Rolling Stones - Time Is On My Side, Wild Horses, Sister Morphine and 71 total
The Beatles - Let it Be and 82 total
Eric Clapton - Layla, I Shot The Sherif, and 72 total
The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, and 42 total.
CCR - Susie Q, I Put A Spell On You and 11 total
Janis Joplin - Cry Baby, Ball and Chain, Me and Bobby McGee and 14 total.
Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to love, White Rabbit 8 total
The Doors - Back Door Man, Crawling King Snake, 11 total
The Who - 32
The Yardbirds - 20
Aerosmith - 27
Bob Dylan - 47
Allman Brothers - 10
Grateful Dead - 17
Black Sabbath only had 3, Evil woman, Warning, and Blue Swede Shoes

I could keep going but I'm tired, and you get the point.

While making this post, Pink Floyd is the only major band I found from that era with no covers.

edit on Novpm03pm302014-11-12T15:01:20-06:0003America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

But Spirit had more creativity and originality.

ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: mahatche

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
But Spirit had more creativity and originality.

ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yes...and they gave the writing credit to Thomas...which is kinds what this thread is all about, right?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Nothing will come about on this one, it literally only takes 1-2 notes changed to void the whole thing. Sure it has a handful of notes that are similar, but no way they are winning that one being stolen.

Its obvious on the cover toons, they just redid songs they liked no hiding or shame. Jimmy always had the blues base for his music style, so of coarse he would give his respect to the old timers he enjoyed.

Led Zeppelin will always be one of if not the most memorable, influential bands of all time. There is not 1 major rock band that really matters that will not tell you the same, I have never heard any other band name dropped by more big groups ever. Watch any documentary or interview of any band that made it huge and is worthy of the label rock or metal band and they will tell you Zeppelin is their influence and who they wanted to end up like.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

I agree about pink Floyd. Who had roy harper sing have a cigar. Who is a......?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join