It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amber Vinson lawyers up

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Nurse #2, Amber Vinson, has hired a high-profile D.C. attorney. It was inevitable. Do you blame her?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said she should have never traveled on a commercial airline. The public asked why health officials cleared her to board a plane with a fever, given her exposure to Ebola. And news outlets have reported on the many missteps that put her at risk of contracting the disease — as well as the consequences that followed. Now the family of Amber Vinson, 29, the second nurse diagnosed with the disease after caring for Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan, is “troubled by some of the negative public comments and media coverage that mischaracterize Amber and her actions.” And they’ve hired high-profile Washington attorney Billy Martin to clear some things up.

ARTICLE

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The CDC's guidelines were inadequate, putting healthcare workers and the public at great risk. And this woman should've had common sense. You treat someone with Ebola then you fly on a commercial aircraft. Even if the CDC told her to, she should've realized it's an unnecessary risk and it's not worth it.

They're all irresponsible. I love the doctors over here posing in Glad garbage bags and shop class goggles. Instills great confidence, really.....

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Interesting. I don't see what good it does her.... people have already judged her actions.

Maybe if she had hired the lawyer before she flew he could have advised her not to fly.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

My only surprise is that it took her so long to lawyer up.

“Suggestions that she ignored any of the physician and government-provided protocols recommended to her are patently untrue and hurtful,” the family said Sunday in a statement. “In the interest of Amber and our family, we have retained esteemed attorney Billy Martin to provide us with legal counsel during this unfortunate and troubling time.” Martin represented NFL star Michael Vick, actor Wesley Snipes, former...

Link
edit on 20-10-2014 by MiguelTheMagician because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I don't care whether she had permission to fly or not, she should have had enough common sense to know that it wasn't a good idea.

She should have waited at least the 21 days or however long it takes to make sure she had a clean bill of health before trotting half way across the country on an airplane.

Seems common sense is becoming a rare commodity these days.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
If she lied her temperature as CDC said happened.. she needs a lawyer. There is her word against the one she spoke on the phone and was cleared. Family can have all kind of opinions but they were not on the phone.. she was. Thruth is what counts so .. she propably needs a lawyer. Having a high profile lawyer for this is a bit sketchy, they might want to sue CDC or the one she spoke on the phone and get some cash from it ( lawyers and money walk hand in hand ) for a lawyer even if it would be a failure it brings fame and fame is same as money.

Whatever common sense should have said to her not to fly.. she made the final decision.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
If it goes to trial, this should get interesting. With the likes of Billy Martin at the helm, what CDC knew and when they knew it will definitely be exposed. Maybe some other things now hidden will come to light.
edit on 20-10-2014 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but she should not have gone anywhere until her 21 days were up. I don't care that she's planning her wedding. If she really loved her family and fiancé, she would have put things on hold and stayed home until she knew she was clean. It's not a difficult concept to grasp, but apparently she and the NBC chick just couldn't get it.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I agree. But, it seems like there is enough blame for a 4-way circus trial.

~~Duncan, the Liberian that entered the U.S. knowing he had been exposed to Ebola;
~~the hospital in Dallas for turning him away the first time, then being ill-prepared with proper protection;
~~the CDC for botching protocols and their inconsistent directives;
~~and, of course, the nurse who promptly decided to carry on with her travel plans as if she had just been exposed to the common cold.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
She sure as hell better get a lawyer- if I was one of the people who flew on the same plane as her and I contracted Ebola, I would sue the hell out of her (along with the Texas Health Presbyterian system) and would be justified in doing so. Not sure if you could sue the CDC as they have no actual authority over anything as far as I'm aware, they can only offer guidelines.
edit on 20-10-2014 by Hendrick99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I can see the lawsuits flying! Negligence will likely be the keyword. It will be claimed that any reasonable person with her education and position would have known better than to fly. I can see the airline going after her for lost profits. All the hypochondriacs coming out of the woodwork blaming her for unnecessary suffering, etc, etc. Individuals who were quarantined or told to monitor themselves because of her actions. Missed work, social isolation, damage to the emotional security of families...

If anyone catches ebola and they can link it to her, she'll likely need an attorney. Welcome to the lawsuit happy U.S. of A.!

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: queenofswords
Do you blame her?

If she sues the hospital or the CDC for having guidelines that weren't adequate for Ebola ... then Frontier Airlines needs to sue her for the millions of $$ they lost because she flew on their airplanes TWICE knowing she had ebola (and yes, they lost millions of $$) .. and the dress shop she visited needs to sue her for putting everyone there at risk of a deadly disease and for contaminating the expensive wedding dresses .. and the schools that had to shut down in Ohio and Texas need to sue her because what she did caused them to have to close .. and everyone on the flights that are on the 'ebola watch list' now and are stressed out because of it should sue her as well.

If she sues .. then everyone who she has financially and emotionally injured by her need to sue her as well.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The bridal shop is not going to be very nice to her. She made mistakes one after another. That said she wasn't alone in her lack of common sense. Imagine how her boyfriend feels.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Yeah, well, if anyone here gets to lawyer up and sue for damages out of this, it's Pham who was doing everything right and got sick. She didn't take off on a cross country flight and put a whole bunch more people into quarantine through her thoughtless actions.

So what if Vinson is in the position she's in because others made mistakes before her? She then compounded that by making her own thoughtless actions.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I see multiple lawsuits coming forward. If I had to point my finger at anyone, it would be Duncan....but, alas, he is dead. However, if his family knew he had been exposed, they may hold some legal responsibility. But, it sounds like they have no money, so nobody will bother.

My second choice is the government, but that may be more trouble than it's worth:

Unfortunately, suing the federal government under the FTCA is trickier than suing a private citizen -- you will have to jump through a number of hoops, and the lawsuits are subject to a lengthy and sometimes confusing list of limitations.

The Federal Tort Claims Act ("FTCA") Historically, under the doctrine of "sovereign immunity," you were not permitted to sue the king. Sovereign immunity has carried over to modern times in the form of a general rule that you cannot sue the government -- unless the government says you can. Fortunately, the Federal Tort Claims Act ("FTCA") allows certain kinds of lawsuits against federal employees who are acting within the scope of their employment. If you believe you may have a claim for negligence (careless conduct, or other wrongful or "tortious" conduct) against a federal agency or employee, you must first determine whether you can sue the federal government under the FTCA.

Unless your claim is allowed by the FTCA, there is a good chance it will be barred by sovereign immunity. (To learn more about what constitutes negligence, read Nolo's article Negligence, Duty of Care, and Fault for an Accident.)

Suing the Government

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It is the duty of the emplorer to create a safe working enviroment and advise employees of all precautions and saftey measures. Perhaps she was watching the tv when the cdc head was stating the lack of danger to us and how all the guidelines were failsafe. If unsure of an action it is wise to reachout to the cdc for clairifaction or any risk that she may be posing to the public. To pretend that we were not told that the cdc had a tight grip on all this is just wrong. There is no stupid question like am i ok to fly just stupid answers continuied through three seperate calls to the cdc. The truth is that the cdc was being extremely false to us and she got caught up in their lies and failed protocalls.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

If she sues .. then everyone who she has financially and emotionally injured by her need to sue her as well.

to what end ?...does this mean people can sue the airline for letting duncan in..in the first place?...can the same be said for the cdc can they be sued for their stupidity ?...if people can get sued for anything in this case it will create a massive never ending merry-go-round and as usual the lawyers will win...no one else just the lawyers

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric
I don't care whether she had permission to fly or not, she should have had enough common sense to know that it wasn't a good idea.

She should have waited at least the 21 days or however long it takes to make sure she had a clean bill of health before trotting half way across the country on an airplane.

Seems common sense is becoming a rare commodity these days.

Well said. She flew from Dallas to Cleveland on a commercial airline the same day as the patient she was treating for a rare virus died. Then she flew back on a commercial airline the day after her coworker was positively tested for that virus.

No common sense at all.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

I have already heard at least one female reporter mention that Amber may have been in denial. That's an expression I have never really quite understood, but it sounds like the groundwork for a legal defense.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Do we even know if she is sueing anyone? Maybe she is just protecting herself from the bad situation that she volenteered for. We will never have a shortage of bad decisions and the least we can have people to do is get verification on stuff.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join