It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient UFO Depiction Discovered in Romanian Monastery Painting?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I think that many in this thread were getting caught up on the fact that it appears to be a shield. It very well may be a shield. That doesn't mean that it's not also a depiction of a UFO. I pointed out a page or two ago that going back to at least ancient Rome, there are accounts of sightings of objects in the sky with the appearance of shields (sometimes flaming shields).

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

imo, the accounts you posted to me clearly described a fireball (a comet), which is what I originally interpreted from the painting. It's not hard to imagine that early written descriptions of this magnificent sight might have been described as a shield, then from there on always depicted as a shield. Kind of like how we always described a round object in the sky as a 'flying saucer'.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Comets were a known celestial phenomena in antiquity. One of the most famous was Caesar's Comet. Also, check out the history of comet observations on Wikipedia here. In fact, some clue to how comets were perceived can be drawn from the word origin. Greek natural philosophers named them komētēs meaning "long-haired" (stars) and in Latin, the word was cometa. Finally, comets don't close resemble shields.

That said, I don't disagree with the rest of your post. In fact, I wholly agree. The question remains, what were they seeing that they described as flying shields?
edit on 2014-10-22 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: smurfy

I think that many in this thread were getting caught up on the fact that it appears to be a shield. It very well may be a shield. That doesn't mean that it's not also a depiction of a UFO. I pointed out a page or two ago that going back to at least ancient Rome, there are accounts of sightings of objects in the sky with the appearance of shields (sometimes flaming shields).

I know, it's the chicken and the egg scenario. For arguments sake the, 'real reason' for the original story in itself mythology..WTF are they mind games? or something experienced above just another thunderstorm, or a bloody fireball even. The Romans, 'borrowed' from the Greeks and so on whatever. But, let's just stick with this thread and the Fresco for the time being. It seems pretty certain that the Fresco is relatively new, the 'coin' posted seems to be from the same era, I don't know that for sure, however the artist of the Fresco is depicting the Mars/Roman myth, but painted it upside down and just left out the arrows, (if say he/she did have a similar 'coin') because of not understanding what they were meant to depict, or even understanding any part of the myth. It's not exactly an inspired work of art anyway...except perhaps for the whorls that make up the clouds, (the painter likely had an application for that though) so still a bit of a mystery, no matter what.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The "UFO" in the painting looks an awfully lot more bold and recently painted than the other parts of the painting. There should be a carbon dating test done.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
All Mythology is indeed based on factual historical observations by early humans.

Unfortunately its unlikely any of them are depicting aliens. (er intelligent biological organisms from elsewhere)

But rather Anthromorphic/Antropic celestial events. The planets and their satellites along with their associated electrical interactions. We've given them names - fashioned stories about their adventures/feats - and have gained profound meaning from our collective desire to understand "up there" ---- "Down here"

Plasma Science will help any interested parties understand why these "Kings/Pharoahs" of the Heavens were so easily observed.

edit on 24-10-2014 by 131415 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join