It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artist Creates Self-Portraits On Different Drugs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParanoidAmerican
a reply to: Stormdancer777

The that one I can see a lot of the others I just can't seen it having that big of effect....it is almost like he is demonizing medical drugs while saying illicit ones make you draw happy...lol idk I'm just not impressed with the facilitation or the product I guess.

I see your point

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
At first I thought it was this thechive.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Many of these drugs would have no serious effects on him.

That's what I was wondering also since Zoloft and Saraquel have to be taken for days before their effective but I'm not sure if they still wouldn't have a direct effect. Honestly, I don't know what many of the things listed are especially "computer duster" I've got to look that one up now. . .

Add: I seriously can't believe the things some people will try to do now!
edit on 10/19/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
a reply to: SLAYER69

That certainly was an odd one, he does have some good ones though, that took some talent

I know what the link states he was on while doing that one but I suspect he was actually under the influence of Hot cocoa and mini marshmallows.

That's my theory and I'm sticking with it!

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Gotta say he has to be lying. Due to knowing some of these things in a personal way... Umm yea. Ever drawn a picture when you don't have hands or when you don't know what a human is?

I can tell he is using popular conceptions that are not as popular myths within the actual use community.
I would elaborate...

For instance some of the ones would make you draw a pretty normal picture, where he exaggerates, while others look too normal for the motor skills one would have.

Southpark did better representations of certain ones. I didn't get the references before I knew better, but once I did I was like holy hell they've been there. haha.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Caffeine and sugar, my two favorite drugs!

Smoking cigarettes at times doesn't make me as happy anymore, I'm trying to quit.

Note to all: I saw this the other day and thought it was great.

edit on 10/19/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

That certainly was an odd one, he does have some good ones though, that took some talent

I know what the link states he was on while doing that one but I suspect he was actually under the influence of Hot cocoa and mini marshmallows.

That's my theory and I'm sticking with it!

LOL

I think it is a flying fish, or bat man

sadly that picture is about the extent of my drawing talent

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParanoidAmerican
a reply to: Stormdancer777

The that one I can see a lot of the others I just can't seen it having that big of effect....it is almost like he is demonizing medical drugs while saying illicit ones make you draw happy...lol idk I'm just not impressed with the facilitation or the product I guess.

BTW PA, Love your avatar, love that movie, fits well in this topic

ha

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum

Flashback!

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

originally posted by: AnteBellum

Flashback!

STOP it , it happens, lol

OMG you avatar is the best ever

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
He's a fricking idiot for putting his body through that.

Humanity is a fricking idiot for putting the Earth and each other through "that."

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Yeah it's definitely a gimmick, for the most part at least. Cefalexin is an antibiotic. It's what I always get prescribed (as Keflex) because I'm allergic to penicillin. It reminds me of the video which purportedly shows the effects of different drugs on spiders and their web making abilities. It also seems derivative of William Utermohlen's self portraits during his progression into alzheimers. As well as Louis Wain's cat series which possibly illustrates his descent into schizophrenia.

William Utermohlen's Self Portrait Series
Louis Wain's Cat Series

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Super interesting how self perception shifts depending on what substance is put into the body. The Nicotine Gum self portrait is an odd one. Looking through the self portraits you can almost determine what medication made him "feel" better about himself, lots of happy colors, versus the medications where he produced a darker self image.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
They say emotional highs and lows inspire musicians to write better songs.

Playing high is a different matter.

Doing anything stoned is as risky as the drugs.

I liked the natural vs pharma differences as well.

edit on 19-10-2014 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Josephus

That "spiders on drugs" video was priceless. Going off to research the other artists you mentioned.

Toodaloo!

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Someone who cannot appreciate art?

Way to shoot the messenger, since taste is subjective and you have literally no say in what defines an understanding or even appreciation of art (and neither do I btw, as this post is my opinion)

My life happens to revolve around art and I for one am not only having a hard time believing this (the concept is true and interesting I believe, the execution, however, is not imo) but Im in complete disagreement regarding your opinion.

I would link you to my portfolio to back my case, but I wont for obvious reasons. A kindergarten-esque feel might make you see a piece as a work of art, but to be honest...

There is STILL a faint line between art and actual scribbles

Now my question to you: if anyone can use drugs and make a scribble that reminds you of kindergarten drawings, can anyone then be an artist? If you are on drugs, not thinking about what you're going to draw and instead just letting your absent mind guide your hand to form scribbles and be done with it, how much of YOU is in the work? I'd argue that if you put 100 people in a room for a similar experiment, you'd get 100 unique similar drawings.

Is that all art? Of course, art is non-definable and the latter is already sounding more like an art project than doing it once does, but still, I'd argue in his case, there are obvious flaws you are missing

When does the artist become seperate from the "art"? Because to be blunt, if you want a new avatar, just ask me, i have leet kindergarten drawing skills, especially when Im on mind numbing drugs that change me into something Im not mentally...

Point being, you take those drugs, you try drawing, tadaa, art...

Ill repeat, love the concept though
edit on 19-10-2014 by NoNameNeeded because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This is kinda awesome.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Josephus

It also seems derivative of William Utermohlen's self portraits during his progression into alzheimers. As well as Louis Wain's cat series which possibly illustrates his descent into schizophrenia.

Wow. So sad…

Alzheimers progression

Schizophrenia

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

Agreed

My idea is he probably used the drugs, but went with the general idea of what the effects are, and his own experiences

There simply is no way he did these portraits WHILE ON DRUGS, there might have been some progress WHILE influenced, but to create finished pieces of work? Not buying it... I draw paint sculpt and it takes me days to finish pieces, yet Im to believe he got high and pooped out this stuff?

Im not envious mind you, rather confused over his (perceived) dishonesty

Then again, the headline is a lot less spectacular if it would read "artists paints selfportraits based on what certain drugs are like", you see, thats not a "first", art and drugs are possibly linked since mankind started experimenting with shrooms, so he needed to improve the concept in an unrealistic way, but people will still buy it (due to lack of experience first hand)

Art is never "easy" and taking drugs to end with this, just sounds WAY too easy, imo.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

You have to wonder how much of his self portraiting was based on pre-conceived notion of the drugs

edit on 013131p://bSunday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join