It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloning the soul.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
For you religious folk out there, (and those of you who aren't your opinions are valid, too), what would happen to a person's soul if we were to clone a human being? Is the soul also cloned? Is the clone given a new soul from Heaven or whatever? Is the clone soul-less?

[edit on 8/12/04 by an3rkist]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I've thought about this question too.
I think that the clone would have a different soul because it takes all
of our life experiences to make us who we are. How we were raised,
what we did in our lives, and everything we experience goes to make
up who we are.
Each person here on earth is unique, even if they are twins, because
no one could share the exact same perspective of life.
This clone would be a totally different person because
it would'nt have the same life experiences or memories as the
"original".
Sure it would have similar personalty, looks, and tendencies but it would
be different.
That's why I think the clone would have it own unique soul.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
IMO the way the person is gonna be depends on MANY things...

but to anwer your question, logically they would get another soul.

but the way the person will be depends on this:

-When they were born, I heavilly believe astrology influences the person.
-Previous experience of the soul.
-What kind of place they grow up in.

You can't clone a person complete with thoughts, not right now...in the future it might be possible to ditch your old body for a new cloned body...but what prevents it from getting another soul?

Good thought An3rkist...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
What is a soul? What is it made of? What does it do? Why cant we detect it?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
If you replace the word soul for brain that your paragraph makes sense. Genetics could possibily have little to do to with tendencies/personailty, but overall I think the environment they grow up in decides that. Which makes me wonder, what is the purpose of a soul? What does it do? The brain already does everything you described.

Originally posted by elaine
I've thought about this question too.
I think that the clone would have a different soul because it takes all
of our life experiences to make us who we are. How we were raised,
what we did in our lives, and everything we experience goes to make
up who we are.
Each person here on earth is unique, even if they are twins, because
no one could share the exact same perspective of life.
This clone would be a totally different person because
it would'nt have the same life experiences or memories as the
"original".
Sure it would have similar personalty, looks, and tendencies but it would
be different.
That's why I think the clone would have it own unique soul.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by an3rkist
For you religious folk out there, (and those of you who aren't your opinions are valid, too), what would happen to a person's soul if we were to clone a human being? Is the soul also cloned? Is the clone given a new soul from Heaven or whatever? Is the clone soul-less?

[edit on 8/12/04 by an3rkist]

Most religious people think that if someone is cloned, they will become some sort of mindless, soul-less zombie. My opinion is simple and clear, and it should be entertained by even the most religious people out there. It is within our capability right this very second, to clone a human. We have the technology. If we were to clone a human, which someone eventually will regardless, this person (clone) would be a living creature. A living human. It will bear all of the same traits any other human would have. Including our ability to reason. Our ability to discern right from wrong. Our guilty conscious. It will intelligent and inquisitive. These are the traits that most religious people attribute to humans having a soul. These are the traits that make us different from most all other mamals.

If a human was cloned, I think it would only serve to force people to rethink their idea of what a soul really is, if anything at all.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Alec-your soul is the driver of the brain taxy...it is your deep down you....it is the part that makes you accountable..the seperation from flesh and bone..it is what becomes alive unto god, when you are born again.it is the part of you that will be eternal..................As to the question i would look at it like twins...2 people.2 souls.1 same looking body................if we have 2 bodys that look exactly the same the brain is shaped exactly the same,raised the same how can they be 2 very diferent people....individual SOUL.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninki
Alec-your soul is the driver of the brain taxy...it is your deep down you....it is the part that makes you accountable..the seperation from flesh and bone..it is what becomes alive unto god, when you are born again.it is the part of you that will be eternal..................As to the question i would look at it like twins...2 people.2 souls.1 same looking body................if we have 2 bodys that look exactly the same the brain is shaped exactly the same,raised the same how can they be 2 very diferent people....individual SOUL.

What if one "chooses to be born again" and another does not. How can they be..........AN INDIVIDUAL SOUL. Think things through a little more before you say them. The sheep and other animals that have been cloned walk their own paths, and make their own decisions. They do not mirror each other step for step. Your theory, therefore, has a huge flaw.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
what the heck are you talking about? can you read? i said that very clearly, they are 2 seperate people...just because they look the same or were even raised the same means nothing.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninki
what the heck are you talking about? can you read? i said that very clearly, they are 2 seperate people...just because they look the same or were even raised the same means nothing.

Oh, my bad...I just assume the worst from some people.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
id have to say that the soul is like the body it can remember, it can find in itself what it has experienced and remember its memories or will have reflexes from its passed it will do things by instinct. lets take a professional athlete for example, if you were to switch the brain of say Jordan and switch it with lets say my brain i would be me but i would be in his body. his muscles or body would still know how to shoot dunk or run.
i think that all souls are recycled anyway i think that it is all a constant cycle of learning and growing as a person does throughout their life they will changefor better or worse.
so if a person was to be cloned so would his soul but his soul would grow from where it was cloned and would be changed by its surroundings its experiences and its relations with other people

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Pardon me for digressing, but how absurd is it to assume that the universe (or cosmos) is alive?

And if so, intelligent

and if so, has a soul?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
YOu cant clone a Soul... Soul = Conscience.... "Unclonable"

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by BaastetNoir
YOu cant clone a Soul... Soul = Conscience.... "Unclonable"

So when we clone a human (which will inevitably happen, not too far off), this person will have no conscience?

1. What reason do you have to believe the conscience doesnt originate from the brain?

2. Who gives us souls? And why cant we detect it?

3. This cloned person, will have never feel guilty, never feel happy, have no remorse or pride in anything? Is this what you're basically saying?

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
i believe a clone will have no conscienc ... he/she can be teacheble of what is right or wrong ,... but i do not think he/she will understand in the same way as a "normal" human does. I believ they will be easealy manipulated into doing whatever they are told... Clones would be the perfect kind for a "supersoldier"... no regrets... no remorse... also as we all saw with Dolly... clones dont last long. but thats just my input.

have you ever donne something you know you shouldnt have donne? where does that feeling hurt more? in you brain or in your heart?... thats why i dont think the soul is connected to the brain. But the Brain and the Soul work together.

about their feelings... yes thats what i believe... clones can be tought feelings, but i dont think they will actually "feel" like we do. they will be mimics i believe.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

he/she can be teacheble of what is right or wrong ,...
This is the sameway we learn what is "right" and "wrong", we are taught.

but i do not think he/she will understand in the same way as a "normal" human does.
How does a "normal" human understand things that are right and wrong?

I believ they will be easealy manipulated into doing whatever they are told...
This is our nature, we can be easily manipulated, a clone would be no different.

Clones would be the perfect kind for a "supersoldier"... no regrets... no remorse...
But we can teach them to have regrets and remorse, much the sameway our parents taught us this. Its our how society operates. We are taught.

have you ever donne something you know you shouldnt have donne?
yes

where does that feeling hurt more? in you brain or in your heart?...
These feelings are chemical reactions which originate from my brain, and in turn, effect my whole body. Nothing mystical involved.

about their feelings... yes thats what i believe... clones can be tought feelings, but i dont think they will actually "feel" like we do. they will be mimics i believe.
How do we actually "feel"? And what would be different about how they feel and how we feel? Their brains are the same as everyone elses, theres nothing missing or not working. You say they would only be mimics, what do you mean by this? And how our we not mimics ourselfs? Would you believe in a soul if no one told you about it? If you never read about it? You're only mimicking what you've been told and what you've read.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I don not have all the answers... therefore when you meet a clone...you lte me know ...

and by the way ...YOU cant manipulate me and maek me do things i don not want to ....

as about the chemical reactions.. that is very true... but how can you prove that a clone would have the same exact reactions?

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

and by the way ...YOU cant manipulate me and maek me do things i don not want to ....
Sure I could. If I offered to pay you a million dollars to steal a butterfingers from a 7-11, would you? You dont have to do things against your will to be manipulated, either. With that said, everyone is manipulated in some way or another.

as about the chemical reactions.. that is very true... but how can you prove that a clone would have the same exact reactions?

When you clone something, you make an exact duplicate. Besides, thats like asking how a man could pump blood with no heart, its impossible. Everyone has chemicals that are naturally produced by the brain.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
well if you already have all the questions, why ask ?? and about the buterfinger... make it a KIT KAT and we'll talk

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   

well if you already have all the questions, why ask ?? and about the buterfinger... make it a KIT KAT and we'll talk

Im assuming you mean answers. The point of this dicussion wasnt to reassure myself, it was to question you and why you believe clones wouldnt know "right" from "wrong".

Now that you recognize that you are very capable of being manipulated, and that you have chemical reactions in your brain, and that you are taught whats right from wrong by others, can you now admit that clones would be no different?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join