It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Duels be legal?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Heres another one for the PC crowd.

Being from the backwoods of Arkansas where we used to settle matters out of court if you catch my drift, I was wondering if allowing legal duels could be a way of cutting crime.

Just like the old days, the offended party would chose weapons, in that way THEY could determine how serious it got. Seconds or maybe a legal party could witness the process to determine that everything was legit. Duels were allowed for a long time in America and even longer in the South where it was on the sly. It would be a good way of saving the state money in Child molesting, Robberies, Rapes etc

What do yall think?

[edit on 8-12-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I think you feel like you are born out of time.

I suggest viewing a good Kubrick quasi-historical take on such matters, like Barry Lyndon, for entertainment and lightening up. Followed by Spielberg's first feature length movie.

But two wrongs do not a right make.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
So the rape victom would sqaure off against the person who raped him/her?

Deep

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Listening to my History Professor talk about pre-civil war history, there were quite a few of duels back then between politicians.
If you were insulted/injured by someone, you would ask them to duel, if they accepted, it was on.
If declined, off to the courts or commit criminal conduct.

What an interesting time to look back upon.

Should duels be legal?

If consensual between two capable adults, honestly, yes. But would I do it? I don't think so.

But do not forget, pistols used back when weren't the best, and often you would miss your shot. Additionally, many times, the dueller would volley shots alternately, not simultaneously as seen in so many westerns.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
If I am blind and and look like Dennis Weaver and I have Parkinson's disease, and find myself victimized by some thug, I am sure said thug would be thrilled with the prospect of this form of "justice".

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
If I am blind and and look like Dennis Weaver and I have Parkinson's disease, and find myself victimized by some thug, I am sure said thug would be thrilled with the prospect of this form of "justice".

I'm not in favor of bring back duels. If you're incapable of "doing the
duel" yourself, that might lead to private citizens haveing to maybe
hire "professional duelers". It would be like the wild west with
gunslingers roaming around looking for trouble or trying to stir up
trouble so they could get paid.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
What a fascinating concept.
In my opinion non lethal duels should be legal.
There should be a legal venue to pursue physical vengeance because sometimes that is what people want and they will try to get it legal or not. As long as no one is permanently injured I have no problem with it.
Lethal duels have to much potential for abuse a malfunctioning weapon or lying witnesses could be the means of getting away with murder legally.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   

I think he meant mutual combat, not something one would be forced into, but instead an option for both parties.

I would be all for it. This is kind of like the suicide legality issue; one should be able to do with their body/life what they will. So long as the duel didn�t put non-combatants in danger, I don�t see how this is a legal question, should be a moral question. Course, now days every moral question is a legal question with both of the big two mentalities.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
So the rape victom would sqaure off against the person who raped him/her?

She could or her brothers or father. A gun makes a 100 pound woman just as dangerious as a 250 pound man

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout

I think he meant mutual combat, not something one would be forced into, but instead an option for both parties.

Exactly

It would be up to the harmed party. If they did not wish to duel they could go to court.

I think if properly applied this would work

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Exactly

It would be up to the harmed party. If they did not wish to duel they could go to court.
I think if properly applied this would work

Properly applied meaning a steel caged arena with various melee weapons? 'Two man enter, One man leave'

I'm all for it Amuk. Let's get started on our proposal to congress. You got a pen?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Just throw some gloves on and take it to the ring. The person thats not Knocked The Funk Out is the winner
People should try sparring sometime. I do it about once a week, and it like a drug.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
Just throw some gloves on and take it to the ring. The person thats not Knocked The Funk Out is the winner
People should try sparring sometime. I do it about once a week, and it like a drug.

This would be great for misdemeanors

Some ones dog crapping in your yard or your upstairs neighbors music to loud?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

This would be great for misdemeanors

I have personally setteled disputes this way in the past. I Like the idea of catching the person that rutted your yard with his jeep and pounding him one

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
[quote="ZeroDeep"]So the rape victom would sqaure off against the person who raped him/her?

Actually in both cases you would be allowed a champion of your own choosing to represent you in the field of battle. At least in legal duels that's what happened.(A knight would be the one to defend his lady's honor-for instance.)

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
[I have personally settled disputes this way in the past.

This used to be the preferred method of settling small disputes. A quick trip outside settled things quicker than a trip to court. As a matter of fact back in the day the police (we had about 5 and were the biggest town in the county) would look at you like you were crazy if you expected them to do something.

Anyone shot on someone else's property was considered at fault. Crime was almost non existent and people were polite.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I think the important questions here are:

1. What is justice?

2. How would dueling "serve" it?

While I am not trying to make this deeper than it needs to be, those are the few fundamental questions one must answer before they go on to decide about this issue. From what I gather, it appears people here will answer those two questions differently.

Without being a deity, personally, I think if justice as a concept exists objectively, it would be hard for humans to put their finger on exactly what it is. What in nature serve as the objective basis for revenge or punishment being a moral or just action?

*thinks to himself*

--Radardog

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Well technically dueling is still legal in a few states, alabama off the top of my head.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Well technically dueling is still legal in a few states, alabama off the top of my head.

Can you give some specifics on this? Do you still use pistoles?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331

While not legal in Arkansas it was an accepted way to settle things in a little less formal setting when I was younger

top topics

<<   2 >>

join