It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone volcano on National Geographic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Naked Science right now 5pm EST -- my cable channel is 162 for it (NGC)

Looks like it will cover the caldera information well -

jm

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
And get some great info here with this ATSNN Exclusive by Valhall.

Interview With USGS Yellowstone Scientists

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Use this....ATS Search

Type in 'Yellowstone' then 'Cauldera' or whatever.
ATS archives has multiples of threads on what you ask for.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I have read all of the stuff here -- that is where I got my interest in the subject -- But this is the first program I have seen on tv about it and thought others might enjoy it also.
Plus I always feel that maybe I can learn something new or visualize things better from a program like this.

jm

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
great post thanks for the info.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   

There has been a steady quantity of quakes similar to todays image for months now. Pervious to approx 6 months ago there was almost no quake line through Nevada and Idaho up to Yellowstone.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The last caldera to go off was 73,000 years ago/ It almost wiped out the human race! so when ever yellowstone gos off! we are pretty much screwed!

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by PanzerDiv
The last caldera to go off was 73,000 years ago/ It almost wiped out the human race! so when ever yellowstone gos off! we are pretty much screwed!

Wasn't there less humans in the past that there is now? So if the volcano does errupt with enough force to destroy a large percent of the population we would still survive.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by VirusClock

Originally posted by PanzerDiv

Wasn't there less humans in the past that there is now? So if the volcano does errupt with enough force to destroy a large percent of the population we would still survive.

Few will survive and the earth will be replenished. Back to the paradise it once was.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
my 2 cents.......YellowStone is an absolutely gigantic super volcanoe. According to a program i viewed it wont be back to paradise for a while due to the volcanic winter, which will bring the earths temperature down a few degrees, which brings water temperature down even more, killing off most life on land & water which means mass extinction. If things survive it will be somewhat of a miracle. The last one reduced the human population to thousands in tens not hundreds & thats why all of our genetic make up is so similar now.

[edit on 10-12-2004 by AKAELI]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
At the risk of sounding like a smart ***, GOOOOOO GLOBAL WARMING

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. However, having said that, I'm sure that given a nasty situation like this we as a species would figure something out that could filter some of the crapola ejected from the atmosphere. You'd be amazed what we could do if it meant preventing millions from starving to death (well millions of American's anyway.. since no one seems to care when millions of African's die)

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Im not a doomsday dreamer, but theres big reason why I think this thread should be added to...
The recent earthquake and tsunami caused the whole world to shake... Although you didnt feel it; Our earth's axis is off by a few centimeters. Now... What I remember from my earlier years of schooling that the earth works as a system... If one parts affected the others are too. Now not to forget this super volcano. If I am right, Yellowstone has been less active in the last month, with few recorded volcanoes leading up to and after the recent events.
Before a great storm hits, theres always a lead to and a calm. Then it hits. I believe that this volcano will erupt within the next 5 years. Although Im probibly wrong this is definatley a topic for discussion.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
worst case scenario and yellowstone blows, what is the prospects of Northern New Jersey and Buffalo NY surviving?

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
RedPhoenixDelta -- it's my understanding that what will cause the worst problems is the volcanic winter caused by the amount of dirt and ash put into the air by this type of event. It could take years to come back from it.

A volcanic eruption caused the "year without a summer" after an 1815 (1816?) eruption on an island in Indonesia. The year after the eruption the weather worldwide was effected. The summer was cold and wet in western Europe crops failed and thousands of people starved.
jm

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Aye the actual explosion and lava wouldnt do much damage.

The major threat if it did explode is that it could possible loft enough ash and dust high enough into the atmosphere to block out up to 70 percent of the suns light/radiation for many years. I've heard some say 5 years and some say 30.

Basically it could trigger a Ice Age with no boundaries. Most Ice age scenario's limit their actual reach because of the sun still affecting the earth especially around the equator. An Ice Age triggered by a volcanic winter would be nearly global. Everywhere would feel the effect.

new topics

top topics

join