It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

qigong vs yoga, which is better?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I'm thinking of trying one of these.

In my city there seems to be a lot more places that teach yoga.

I might want to do it alone, which one is better for that?

It seems like mostly women do yoga. I'm a man. I hope to avoid awkward situations and/or situations where I can't stay spiritually minded.

Any pros and cons of these two or similarities and differences to take into account are welcome.

Should I bother at all with any of these two? Perhaps go for straight meditation instead? I'm interested in that too, but I got interested in qigong after I heard that it is "energy cultivation" and I'm constantly tired so I'm looking for ways to deal with that. Diet might be something to look at too, but that's another subject.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: introspectionist

Greetings- I do a senior yoga w/My broken back/neck as regular yoga would sometimes cause dis-comfort. Why not allow the meditation to "guide You"? I got a bunch of info from 'Ayurveda' and when I started 'Ayurveda' I was on 7 rx. meds ranging from cancer to hypertension, PTSD, high cholesterol, etc. Now I just take the 2 pain meds that I started on 12 yrs. ago, at a lower dose now, than then. I mention this because at the end there, You mentioned You'd be interested in diet as well..

verialiving.com

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

I got timed out... verialiving.com look for 'Yogi Cameron' He will answer any questions via video..

Remember that meditation is based on "intentions" I was worried that I wasn't getting My back perfectly straight due to My injuries.. I was then visited by "outside influences" and shown that it was "ALL right" that any 'treasures' would NOT be hidden from Me, due to a dis-ability, that it was based on "intentions"..

Perhaps You'll also be 'guided'...

Gandhi said "What You do might be insignificant, but it is important that You do..."

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I'm thinking of trying one of these.

In my city there seems to be a lot more places that teach yoga.

[[I might want to do it alone, which one is better for that?]]
** There is no "better". Its a matter of personal preference.

[[It seems like mostly women do yoga. I'm a man. I hope to avoid awkward situations and/or situations where I can't stay spiritually minded.]]
** In India, its just the reverse .. more men do hatha and rajayog. And .. if your worried about being "awkward" while seeking spiritual enlightenment .. your living in the ego-body.

[[Perhaps go for straight meditation instead? I'm interested in that too, but I got interested in qigong after I heard that it is "energy cultivation" and I'm constantly tired so I'm looking for ways to deal with that. Diet might be something to look at too, but that's another subject.]]
** Both practices are holistic .. meaning they involve body, mind and spirit. So naturally, meditation and diet are part of that total package. Not all yoga and/or chi-gong classes are created equal. Take a few .. find out which works best for you (aka: where you are at now). In a few weeks . months . years .. dont be afraid to move-on. Change is good. Afterall, we all do it daily.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Find the tools that works best for you.

A little meditation (find the one that is comfortable for you).
Maybe a little qi-gong. (never done it myself)
A little yoga with fire breathing. (Kundalini Yoga - Pranayama - Breathing Techniques).
Pushing chi/ki/light with Reiki or other intention manifestation tool.
edit on 12-10-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: yngona
if your worried about being "awkward" while seeking spiritual enlightenment .. your living in the ego-body.
If I already were a saint I wouldn't be asking for beginner's guidance on ATS.
edit on 051031Sun, 12 Oct 2014 14:05:06 -0500201406pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-12T14:05:06-05:0031 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

qigong can have cultish followings and some very unstable people behind it. Yoga is generally harmless. qigong I would recommend for more experienced students having already formed a foundation in other practices.

qigong is more effective. Yoga is more balanced.

edit on 10 12 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I bought these two books, will read both.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413142405&sr=1-1&keywords=qigong+e mpowerment

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1413142358&sr=1-2&keywo rds=yoga+beginners

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Here is my advice to you based on my experience. First, I would start with acupressure. Acupressure will increase your energy and increase joint flexibility. Acupressure improves your mind and can help you make a decision.
In fact, you need not choose one of the two but practice both. Moreover, you can practice all three systems for health. There are many books and some dvds for instruction. Most of the books should be at your free library, and perhaps the dvds.
I do one hour of acupressure both morning and night. I do about twenty minutes of qigong after morning acupressure. Also three or four evenings each week, I do basic yoga. I have the time because I am retired - I am 65 years old.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I like Qigong, Go onto you tube and try following along with "Eight pieces of brocade", that would be a nice intro. I also love standing meditation "I Chuan" Be gentle with your body & do not overdo exercise or you may pay for it when you get older. As with all things balance is the key. I read a book by a Professor Yang, "The roots of Qigong that explains the theory of Qigong, he also has a web site with books , videos on Qigong, Tai Chi and a miriad of Chinese martial arts. PEACE.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

I have a friend who does Martial arts and is into Qigong he showed me a video of a old oriental bloke knocking down people 20 or more feet away without touching them and another one i saw on you tube was a bloke ringing a bell across a room again without touching it , ever seen or read of that

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I would look into both, they do go together. But from what I have read, from a Qi qong practitioner, it depends on if you feel the energy or chi. If you do, then this is something that may really draw a person.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Knock outs at a distance and martial telekinesis are complete bunk. Dont fall for bullshido.
edit on 12-10-2014 by Snoopy1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
thanks everybody for the response

top topics

join