It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolve - Do the evolution!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
There's yet another juicy title I have my eyes on, and so far alpha gameplay have been quite intriguing. The core concept is that you either join a teamfortress-like group of hunters with different roles who work together to try and bring down an evolving creature, or you play the creature itself and evade the hunters as much as possible while working towards advancing your evolution.

Goliath gameplay

Kraken gameplay

I'm liking this game so far because it has several elements that work very well together; the 'hunter and hunted' concept is one that hasn't been exploited often enough in modern games. I've only seen this done in one recent game called Nosgoth, where humans hunt vampires. Not only is this concept golden, but it can be reversed where the hunters are instead being hunted. It's like a giant game of barbaric tag.

Not only do hunters have to track the creature on some god awful darkened jungle planet, but they also have to fight off the native creatures in the process. This makes it especially hard for hunters, as they have to be paying attention at all times. Thankfully, they have the benefit of range and technology to aid them. One hunter also gets a tracking lizard dog thing which helps locate your main target.

As the creature, your goal is to avoid the hunters and eat whatever moves. Consuming prey allows you to further your evolution level, 3 being the highest. Each level gets you additional abilities which will help you grow in power and eventually allow you to turn on the hunters. You may be able to do this earlier if they're stupid and split up often, but I believe they can res each other back from the dead, so you'll have to kill them all if you want to win.

In case you're wondering, yes, they've pretty much included Cthulu in the game. That third image shows the 'Kraken' creature. So far, there's only 2 creatures (a giant firebreathing turtle monkey is the other one), but I imagine that will change when the game comes closer to release. It's scheduled for release on Feb. 10th, 2015

Now to decide whether I want it on PS4 or PC

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Do the evolution you say?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

I was confident someone would get the reference.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Septimus

Looks pretty fun and will most likely pick it up. L4D was actually one of my favorite games for a bit because the ambiance was just so dark (hated L4D2 because it wasn't and Valve booted Turtle Rock's input on it--the big dummies). Thanks for the head's up.
edit on 8/10/14 by WhiteAlice because: making clear why l4d2 was less awesome than l4d

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

The dark atmosphere was what appealed to me when I saw it. It really makes you feel like you're stalking an impossible prey on a remote alien planet.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Septimus
a reply to: WhiteAlice

The dark atmosphere was what appealed to me when I saw it. It really makes you feel like you're stalking an impossible prey on a remote alien planet.

Yeah, that's the feeling I got, too, which makes this seem like it'll be one heck of a game of hide and seek.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Its got a really cool concept, and should be a great game, I dig the idea you can play as the monsters as well as the hunters, though I heard they only have about 4 actual monsters to play with, not confirmed, but I would be expecting a bit more variety then that, and as long as they got plenty of different levels and level types it should be great.

Also this game it ain't coming out till next year. And worse its coming out around the same time as bloodborne, so I may get it, or not. I really am trying not to save my money, so I am planing on only getting the games I know that I will be playing and that have re-playability, which is why I will only buy a few games in the coming months. But I may get this game as well, though till next year its still some ways away. So till then.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

If they get too creative on their monster concepts, you start venturing into the realm of being too powerful. The Kraken seems just a little OP in my view, since it can simply fly away from hunters and also has range. Just seems too easy to kill an entire team that way. I can only imagine what they'll come up with next; perhaps a giant scorpion duck that sprays poisonous water.

I need some help with the weekly heroic on Destiny btw, if you're up for it. I had to run the Cabal general one by myself last week, which took quite some time. Got the Archon to half hp last night, but suddenly stealth vandals, stealth vandals everywhere. Got my Astros hooked up to the PS4 to get away from the PC for a while.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I seen a video of the kraken in action months, I think they said they were inspired by the cthulhu mythos when they designed that beasty. On the kraken, I seen it play, and while it has the advantage of flight, and long range attacks, in close combat it takes a lot of damage, so if they get it cornered they can bring it down pretty fast, in all its not OP, but it just depends on whos playing it I suppose. From what they said, I dont think there going to make to many monsters, or at least they wont be having dozens of them, purely for strategic gameplay wise reasons I believe, but they will add more in DLCs and all that, they always do. So far its one of the games I am gonna buy, but its till a ways off.

On Destiny! That game pisses me off, I seriously cant play it without becoming pissed off because they cut things off so much. The game is not bad, its just irksome, and everytime I do a mission and hear the dinklage bot going off, the only think I can think of is how much better he was in game of thrones. Playing the game makes me want to rewatch episodes of game of thrones. But anyways! I suppose I will try to get on more often.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I did mention it was inspired by the Cthulu lore. To me, it's OP because I know what it's capable of. I love games like those where you can play both third person melee (or in this case third person ranged) and first person gun wielding. Used to love playing Wolfteam before it turned into a greedy pukefest. In other words, I'm confident in my ability to slaughter with it.

I understand your frustration with Destiny. It's led to a lot of disappointment among many people. I'm sure we could sit here and complain in length about how gutted it is, but we've already done that

I'm just trying to get some sense of accomplishment from it, like standing on a heap of old tires in some ineffectual conquest. Currently working on my Thorn bounty and going to buy the long awaited Helm of Inmost Light later tonight. After I get my exotics, not really sure where I'm going after that. The PvP is still a tad engaging for me, but what more is there to accomplish other than exotics and tedious raids which reward you with more exotics?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Well good luck with your Destiny upgrades, me I think I shouldn't rip on that game this much, I suppose I just disappointing bungie didn't go all out, in all its an alright game, but does not stand up to all the hype it received, and believe me I was hoping it would be more then this.

Which is sad because right now there is really nothing on the PS4 that I would be putting time in. In all I am planing on buying either Lords of the Fallen or the Evil Within this month, just waiting to see which is more up to my taste, and then after that the new Dragon Age game next month, which should keep me occupied in the game department till the first few months of next year when some what I believe better games come out.

There have been a lot of games on the new systems which sort of bombed, in fact on the PS4 the highest scored game all around is The Last of US, which I think you know is just an upgraded port of the ps3 game and everybody who had a PS3 played it already. But other then that I either played them all, or there just not all that interesting.

On the Evolve game, I suppose we will see when it comes out should be a good co-op and multilayer game.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

I gave up on the Thorn bounty because void damage kills were too hard... then I realized the next day I could have just switched to defender and used void damage fists.

Once I get my legend rifle, I have no idea where to go from there. Will probably quit until we see the miraculous DLC that's supposed to give life (or death) to the masses. Shadow of Mordor has been proving to be quite entertaining as an alternative though.

Lords of the Fallen might be one I hit on. It's looking like a good single player game so far. At first I was ready to snub it in favor of more unique games, but I guess it has it's charms. Speaking of ported games, I might look into that Diablo: UE edition if I get the hankering for some adventure.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Psst.... Alpha testing registration is open:

www.pcgamer.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Got in on the alpha testing for the weekend and played it this evening. A couple friends of mine and I had some issues with our graphics cards and chopping, despite all being hardcore gamers with very nice machines. Dropping down the setting to low fixed it and I'm guessing it might not be optimized well for Nvidia cards. Overall though, the game play is a lot of fun. Definitely was an alpha test though and was rather heavy on the load screens. Once you were playing though, it was a lot of fun.

new topics

top topics

join