It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court paves way for gay marriage in several states, leaves issue unresolved nationally

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
You've got to live and let live.

Ask yourself what gay marriage does. What does it do?

It does this

It gives legally married same-sex couples the same benefits received by their straight peers including:

Health insurance and pension protections for federal employees' spouses
Social security benefits for widows and widowers
Support and benefits for military spouses
Joint income tax filing and exemption from federal estate taxes
Immigration protections for binational couples
Rights to creative and intellectual property
Political contribution laws

and a few other things like being a legal relative for hospitalization and other issues.

What conservatives think it does.

Destroys the fabric of society.
Causes powerful earthquakes and hurricanes.
Devalues marriage.
Causes more people to be on Welfare
spreads ebola
Turns children ...all children gay somehow...just like the teletubbies did...oh wait. That didn'thappen. LOL

So let's see. It causes us to treat all people equal. I can see how some people would be upset with that.

It's bad to them, because Grimm's Fairy ta...I mean the bible says so. Hmmmm
edit on 6-10-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
Ummm yeah they are owed rights..... I see the right to bear arms in the constitution, I see nothing about the right to bear a gay marriage certifricate.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Owning a firearm is a "right", isn't it?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: Indigo5

People kill based on gender, ethnicity, religion every day.

Yah..and most often they use GUNS...

We all have gender and ethnicity...

Again....

When was the last time someone massacred people in a movie theater or mall, robbed a store, or simply accidentally shot someone using only their religion, ethnicity or gender

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: itguysrule
If I owned a bakery and refused service to a customer my reason should be none of their concern or any concern of the courts.

Good luck getting the anti-discrimination laws changed, then. They protect religious people, too. A business cannot legally discriminate based on a customer's religion.

I would take my business elsewhere and quit whining.

But WOULD IT HARM YOU to go to the twelve bakeries in your town for your daughter's birthday cake and have them ALL turn you down because you are religious? Would that harm you?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
How does not having a cake harm anyone? If it was something important like groceries refusing to sell you food, or hospitals refusing to operate, I would agree.

edit on Mon, 06 Oct 2014 15:26:59 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

You're splitting hairs (hares
) now.

You're justifying discrimination.
edit on 6-10-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18501442]Annee

How does a gay couple getting married affect you? It doesn't.

A gay couple getting married absolutely does not affect me. But when they start trying to force me to change my beliefs and how I choose to live my life that does affect me. Just be happy with your gay marriage and let me continue to live as I choose. Why is that so difficult?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
How does not having a cake harm anyone?

Are you a parent? If so, you know. "Sorry Julie. You can't have a cake."

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Ummm yeah they are owed rights.....

I'm sorry, dear. FIREARMS do not have rights. I have the right to own a dog, too, but a business is well within their rights to refuse to allow me to enter WITH THE DOG.

I see the right to bear arms in the constitution, I see nothing about the right to bear a gay marriage certifricate.

The right to bear arms is a right help by a PERSON, not the arms. See this post to explain how marriage law is covered in the constitution: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 10/6/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
So we define harm to include disappointment now? So what about people that cannot afford a cake? Should we start cake welfare to make sure they don't get harmed by not getting a cake?

link   

Owning a firearm is a "right", isn't it?

Yes, the PEOPLE have a right to own firearms. The firearm does not have rights and can be prohibited from the property. You can come in and do business, just leave the firearm outside.

link   

How does not having a cake harm anyone? If it was something important like groceries refusing to sell you food, or hospitals refusing to operate, I would agree.

Why draw a line? Why not just say that ANY service provided to the general public cannot discriminate based on religion, race or sexual preference?
edit on 6-10-2014 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

If it was something important like groceries refusing to sell you food, ...I would agree.

So, you're OK with the law forcing grocery stores to sell to gay people?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

a reply to: intrepid
So we define harm to include disappointment now? So what about people that cannot afford a cake? Should we start cake welfare to make sure they don't get harmed by not getting a cake?

Obfuscation. You are equating bigotry with economic hardship. That doesn't fly.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

But when they start trying to force me to change my beliefs and how I choose to live my life that does affect me.

No one can force you to change your beliefs. And if you're a baker, and you bake wedding cakes for a living, making another one isn't going to change how you live. You're already making them. Making one for a gay couple isn't a change. It's status quo.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
A gun doesn't crap on the floor, spread fleas, or bite people and property on it's own accord. I was obviously talking about people are owed their right to bear arms, not the gun. How could anyone possibly mistake that is beyond me.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I'm glad you were against businesses refusing to serve people or even allow people entry to their business who had firearms on their person then.

Firearms are not US citizens and are not owed "rights". It's perfectly legal to discriminate against firearms by not allowing them on business premises. Same with dogs, backpacks and dirty clothes. Businesses have the right to disallow these non-citizen items.

So you can refuse service to a person if they have a firearm or a dog or a backpack or dirty clothes but not just because you don't want to serve them? What if the person with the firearm, dog, backpack and dirty clothes was gay or black or a Muslim? Could you still refuse to serve them? What does the law say on that? With respect, I fail to follow that logic.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

A gun doesn't crap on the floor, spread fleas, or bite people and property on it's own accord.

My dog doesn't.

I was obviously talking about people are owed their right to bear arms, not the gun.

Yes, now you've got it. YOU have the right to bear arms, AND a business owner has the right to prohibit said arms on business property. YOU now have a decision to make. Do you want to bear your arms or do you want to enter the business? Your choice. The business owner is under no obligation to allow you to bring your gun into his place of business, because the gun has no rights.

How could anyone possibly mistake that is beyond me.

Read what was said. I said a firearm isn't owed rights. And you said they were... No mistake on my part.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

So you can refuse service to a person if they have a firearm or a dog or a backpack or dirty clothes but not just because you don't want to serve them?

Actually, you can refuse them for many reasons. If an INDIVIDUAL is drunk, disorderly, dirty, barefoot, etc., you can refuse to do business with them. But you cannot refuse them just because they belong to a group that you don't like.

What if the person with the firearm, dog, backpack and dirty clothes was gay or black or a Muslim? Could you still refuse to serve them?

Yes, you can refuse them on the grounds that they have a firearm, a dog and dirty clothes. Those all apply to the individual. To refuse because they're gay, black, Muslim, handicapped, female, etc., is refusing someone because of the group they belong to, which is illegal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join