It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need a little help with packing a Ladies, Bug out bag.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: iclimbtowers

Also, what things may she want in there, that she wouldn't mention to me?

Really? You're asking relative strangers what your fiance might want? I think some communication may come in use no?

I did the BOB thing around the 2012 hype. Haven't used any of it outside of the usual camping affair. It makes sense to be prepared but the whole 'survival' thing reeks of unnecessary fear - something we are already over-exposed to (Ebola/ISIS).

When it comes, I believe it will be less of a breakdown in society and more of a breakdown in the time/space dimensions. Not to say that the BOB won't offer a short-term aid in adversity , but the importance of and attachment to it, may pose a greater problem.

It's not what is in your BOB, but what is in your heart that will get you through it.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Well, as far as birth control goes....it depends on if you anticipate participating in the repopulation of the planet. If not, travel light and get a vasectomy
Otherwise, I would think about a diaphragm. Admittedly it's not the most reliable method of birth control but, it's small and reusable.
edit on 3-10-2014 by U4ea82 because: typo

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Beyond Creation

Well you know personal lady stuff, I have faith in my belief, that if I am meant to continue on I will, I do appreciate the sentiment in your words, it rings true.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: U4ea82

Once things had calmed down I would be all for repopulating the world, the more hands you have, the more work you can delegate out!

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

what should we do about birth control if we had to take our bug out bags and go.

Natural Herbal Fertility Control

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I have to say, I think this is one of the first times I have seen anyone have the forethought to consider birth control when it comes to emergency preparedness. It's good that you've thought of everything.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: U4ea82

Living in that scenario, would be extremely stressful and tough, adding children to the mix only makes it harder.

I truly want to be fully prepared if the need ever arises.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

The bandanna's won't save you. A bio mask is better. Maybe a SPRAYER too. You never know when that bug will land on you or come your way. Those bugs are sneaky, you need a fly swatter to get em before they land on you. So bob on that one.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Iodine (liquid) serves a dual purple, as it sterilizes water and cleans wounds. Maybe some iron tabs (women are prone to anemia but it's an individual matter too). Some chocolate (just rotate it out every couple of months), and some tea bags.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
How long do you want this bugout bag to last? I suppose I don't need to tell you that you and your wife can satisfy those sexual urges without risking pregnancy... Like by holding hands or something. Throw in some condoms for good measure (no jokes Mods) but they take up some room.

I have no idea if you can store birth control for extended periods (heh) of time. Look into it and ask whoever is writing the scripts if you can stock up for a few months. If you're uncomfortable saying it's for a bug out bag make up some other excuse. Then just rotate those out every month so the fresh ones stay in the bag. MAKE SURE YOU ARE POSITIVE ABOUT THIS!

Other than that, tampons or as someone else said a few of those (I don't know how long they last, but better safe than bloody so more than one) diva cup dealies. Things are a great idea. Surprised it took so long for them to hit the shelves.

Uh, soap. Gotta keep things clean. That goes for us dudes too.

Really looking at what you have in your bag this should be the least of your worries. What about food? Also get a decent first aid kit. Have a knife and scissors in BOTH bags. I would toss in two of each, this is something where you want redundancies. At least with the knife. Quick clot. Each bag should have a lifestraw and water purifying tablets. The bags should really be pretty much the same in case one gets lost or you and your partner get split up.

Mylar shelters. Those awesome fold up ponchos. Trash bags. Duct tape. Tarp.

One thing I read that I thought was a very smart idea was laminating a bunch of info and making little survival books. So you have first aid, shelter building, edible plants, info on how to trap game, how to fish with next to nothing etc. All your important info either memorized, written down or copies. Phone numbers.

I got some really cool waterproof pouches from REI I load my stuff in, helps keep things organized and dry. Also can be used to carry water in a pinch. Collapsible cups. I would have something to cook with, at least a pot. REI (and I'm sure a ton of places) sell these titanium sporks for not a ton of $ that are incredibly light/durable and take the place of two utensils.

Extra contacts/glasses/contact solution. Sunglasses. Baseball hats.

Cleaning kits for weapons (I'm assuming you have guns since you said ammo). I hope you have guns.

I should stop.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

No need to stop that was great, We do own guns.

I also have a larger SoG, which will go on my combat belt if we decided to leave, we both have small knives but I have given her the scissors. I am trying to keep both bags identical, and they almost are, with a few small exceptions here and there.

PONCHOS! Yes Ponchos are excellent! I had potentially thought of using the mylar emergency blankets as a form of shelter with some paracord. I also have some caribeaners on my BoB, As I work on towers and also couldn't live with out them, they're extremely handy even as weapons.

And I would hope the BoB's would last us about a 600 mile hike walking or driving.

I still have to figure out a lightweight reasonable food carrying system just in case we're on the bad luck end of getting food for a few days, however the areas we would be traveling have the potential for a lot of dangerous game.

Also have a couple 12 gauge shotguns and some bird shot, might not be enjoyable to eat but food is what fills the hole.

I have intentions of staying in our home for as long as possible before going anywhere to give all the insanity a chance to calm down, We could hold are own here in this smaller ruralesque town for a while before we had to go.

The laminating Idea thats fantastic I sort of went off on a rant there, She would be stuck with out one of those, guess i'll be off to kinkos in the next few days to get that arranged
edit on 3-10-2014 by iclimbtowers because: kinkos!

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

As far as emery board, I was thinking about getting a small pack of metal files, do you think one would be better than the other?

Both. The metal ones with sharp points can have multiple uses, and the coarse brown emery boards double as sandpaper. You never know when you may need to sand some rust off metal to make a good ground connection

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: SoldierCarryingHashbrowns
Don't forget Tampons. Or she may prefer pads. but i think tampons would be easier to carry around.

A single Deva Cup lasts ten years! And as for birth control - IUD or restraint.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   

The all in one tools sound great but I have found a good fixed blade knife is crucial. Do not get me wrong I still have a leatherman mut in the bag. But I would grab my fixed blade knife first. Benchmade,spyderco,Chris Reeves are some good brands.

My wife has a Benchmade Adamas fixed blade and I have a Chris Reeves Pacific. Both are great and will do the job asked of them for many years. If cost is an issue the Gerber LMF 2 is the best cheap blade around.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   

And I would hope the BoB's would last us about a 600 mile hike walking or driving.

Dude. Driving is VERY different than walking. You need tons of food if you're exerting yourself with packs and over any sort of terrain when walking. Your bags are horrible (food dude) even if you could drive 600 miles. You have no food.

I can't tell if you're joking or serious. If you're serious you're very naive.

600 miles is a LOT of miles. Even by car. With things going perfect.

Walking 600 miles is a whole different thing. Why 600 miles?

Are you just here to mock the forum?

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Something very important to pack.Toilet Paper, Flashlights, extra batteries, a couple knives for doing all kinds of work around a camp site. Bring a magnifying glass to start fires, and other purpose. You will need some sort of shelter. I know this is getting into more than a BOB. However, if you have to bug out, where are you going? how long do you plan on staying? You could stay in your vehicle but that is to uncomfortable. Start thinking long term and more stuff you end up thinking you will need.
edit on 10 4 2014 by Ceeker63 because: Forgot some things to say.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Forget ponchos, shell out for a good Goretex jacket. I cant stress enough how amazing this material is. Lightweight, completely waterproof, breathable, you could find one damn cheap $50-100 from the US army surplus, in woodland no less.

As someone said flashlight and batteries, bad idea. I have a small keychain solar flashlight on the molle of my backpack, so when im outside it charges. I have my issue solar/crank flashlight radio for a main one, which also can take batteries in an emergency!

Ive been meaning to write a survival skills/kit thread forever...

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement

Ibuprofen.

You know, for the headache that ladies get every night around bed time!

- Yes Ibuprofen, it`s good against infections also

- Fish Mox

- Get No.36 Bank Line, much better as Paracord and much lighter Link, and get this one, lots of crappy ones also on the market

- "Emergency Mylar Blankets", only get the ones with orange side, or much better get reusable ones, can be used as shelter cover as well Link

- Trapping cost much less energy, lots of options there, but the No.36 Bank Line is very good to use for it, Conibear #110 4/6 pieces, get anise oil for luring most animals, about 6 to 12 speedhook(s) for fishing + different PowerBait, Trot Line (you can make them yourself with hooks (get plenty of them) + Bank Line + normal Fish Line (also get plenty)

- Tool Sharpeners

- First Aid Kit

- A Garmin Handheld GPS which you can upload maps to it and which uses lithium (very important) batteries and put a good map on it

- Headlight(s), Petzl has some good ones, and again uses lithium (very important) batteries

- Lots of socks, sound silly, put having dry socks is more important (Trench Feet) as to having clean underwear

- Dry Bags

- Fiskars X7 axe, not the X5 to short, not enough leverage

- Ear plugs for when you need to sleep under a tarp, you will get crazy with rain because of the noise

- Mosquito net

There are more things, but can`t come up with them right now.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: iclimbtowers
what should we do about birth control if we had to take our bug out bags and go.

Well ... do you think you'll be 'in the mood' if you are bugging out and without showers and toothpaste and soap for days or weeks, and hungry and thirsty, and the worries of the world situation/diseases are all pressing down upon you? Everyone is different but in that situation I doubt I'd be in an amorous mood. That might be just me though ...

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Pack a woman the exact same thing you would pack yourself... + tampons.
I would even double up on the tampons and carry some in your pack for her. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it would be to have to deal with a stressful survival situation and menstruation at the same time. Poor sweet creatures.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join