It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeremy Clarkson and Crew Chased out of Argentina by Angry Mob

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Having watched the series for many, many years I have seen incredible cultural documentaries, crazy and weird situations, wonderful landscapes, amazing historical facts...and the cars...always the cars.

If however, people think that he is a big racist who thinks England is superior to everything else, I suggest that THOSE people look again. Because there has been no mainstream presenter more critical of Britain than he.

And he also LOVES cars.
NO one who talks about cars like this can be a bad person.

I have to agree there, the filmwork is stunning..remember Vietnam?
I can see Gorty's point of view up to a point, but I'm very comfortable with the show. Funny thing is, it is about boys and their toys, but have a look at the audience in the show, it's full of women, so it appeals to them too.
And they do still analyze the vehicles. When you watch Clarkson flying along somewhere in the latest high powered Merc that has trouble staying on the road, he doesn't say go out and buy it, but the subtle message is, you go out and buy this thing, you are probably toast. Anyway Top Gear has been running a long time, but the format with the three amigo's is far superior than what went before, which was pure documentary. It's easy to see too that those guys get along well.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'm not the greatest fan of Top Gear as it's basic act of three overgrown schoolboys playing pranks has worn thinner and thinner down the years. But I do think Clarkson's whole public persona is about getting people to pay attention to him and self publicity. Looks like it's worked wonders this time with guaranteed bumper viewing figures.

What I find odd is that a mainly Spanish speaking population who call the Falklands, "Malvinas" would see any real significance in a number plate H982 FKL and this would cause a mob incident.

If I were to drive through Berlin with a number plate WW2 194S I doubt the Germans would bat an eyelid. However any damned Yankee driving through the streets of Britain with a plate IND 1776 should beware!!

There is something not quite right about this story if a mob really were allowed to go hunting after the cast and film crew and the Argentinian authorities seemingly let them.
edit on 5/10/14 by mirageman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

So let me guess. You must be Anglo but not American. No one in America cares about the little British skirmish in the Falklands. Americans were busy oppressing multiple significant nations simultaneously during the Falklands War. The Falklands was just Britain pretending they still mattered to the world. It's tough on self esteem going from the biggest bully at school to being the new bigger bully's underling. The Falklands should be British and Argentina definitely invaded illegitimately but that's a standard never applied to the British or Americans. The laws governing legality of invasion (like all laws) are illegitimate when certain nations are exempt.

1)Weird. They have wells already and are planning more.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

2) I forgot that debtors by nature are at fault. Unless it's a Western power. America had more debt than anyone but that's fine right? All of Argentina's creditors were in agreement on after negotiating the debt and Argentina was ready to pay it back. A single hedge fund decided to rape an entire nation for greed. They held Argentina hostage (this is classic loan shark tactics except no one minds white collar crime). This single hedge fund even went so far as to seize an Argentinian warship in Ghana. Hedge funds are not nations, or well they shouldn't be. If China held America hostage through debt we'd go to war no questions asked. Read the article please.

www.newsrecord.co...

3). Anglo is relevant. Apparently invading countries without just cause and exterminating or enslaving native peoples is only legitimate if you are America or England. I won't link an article. It's impossible to be so ignorant as to think America or England have never mistreated natives (american Indians.... Africans..... Irish..... The list is utterly endless in both nations' histories). or unreasonably invading sovereign nations (China.....Iraq 2.0.....Afghanistan..... India.... Palestine..... Shall I go on?).

Those are all just though because Anglos are always always in the right, right? Being white skinned isn't even enough since Anglo racism is the most welcoming undiscriminating kind. Only being British or American makes you OK in the eyes of both nations. Until the 20th century the only exceptions to Anglo racism were northern European nations like the Dutch or Swedes. Since then they've extended the Anglo club to include most of Europe (NATO anyone?). If you wanna argue about Anglo racism I'm very well informed.

Go ahead and start a thread. I only tried to inform because I'm tired of people acting like every time some developing country shows their anger at Western oppression and control they are treated as animals or fools. It's not like it makes a difference though. I just side against Western powers in debate over history because they get more than enough Western voices on their side.If I was an educated Argentinian that guy would have met with an accident in his car for that "joke". Apparently the British find the oppression and humiliation of sovereign nations with millions of people just hilarious. Wait, I knew that already..

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

So let me guess. You must be Anglo but not American.

English and British.

No one in America cares about the little British skirmish in the Falklands.

Guess what, no-one in the UK really cares what the USA thinks....we are all too busy just trying to live our lives the best we can....which is made that little bit more bearable given our self-deprecating sense of humour and ability to see humour in any given situation, attributes sadly lacking with most nationalities.

The Falklands was just Britain pretending they still mattered to the world.

No, The Falklands War was the UK protecting its own from the aggression of a military junta.
And it was about respecting the Right to Self-Determination.

That Thatcher exploited the situation for her political advancement is beyond doubt - but that's a whole different discussion altogether.

The Falklands should be British and Argentina definitely invaded illegitimately.....

Well we agree on that at least.

..... but that's a standard never applied to the British or Americans. The laws governing legality of invasion (like all laws) are illegitimate when certain nations are exempt.

Nonsense.
Please give examples of the UK illegally invading other sovereign nations.

Don't harp back to The Empire - that was years ago and was de rigeur for the time.
Nearly every nation was involved in empire building - its just that the UK was far better at it at the time than anyone else - the source of constant envy which prevails today.

Empire building has been a constant throughout human history - yet it seems the British are the only one's who are subjected to this sort of bitterness.

1)Weird. They have wells already and are planning more.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Err....no they haven't - have you read the report in your own link?

Six new wells are scheduled in 2015 and this will mark the first new exploration activity in the region for more than two years

It is exploratory drilling.

The floating rig will drill in six sites.

The Falkland Islands have not been a happy hunting ground for oil companies in recent years. The initial enthusiasm about the hydrocarbon potential in the region has been somewhat tempered after a series of failures. Falkland Oil and Gas had disappointments at two major prospects in 2012 called Loligo and Scotia. Neither site was found to have commercially viable reserves of the black stuff.....

If you'd bothered to even read the report you'd linked you'd know that there is still a huge doubt as to whether any oil deposits are either of a high enough grade to extract or in sufficient amounts to warrant massive investment.

And of course you know that the UK offered Argentina a full and equal partnership on the research and development of all oil discoveries.
In addition the UK offered to build a massive oil refinery on the Argentinian mainland.
This would have been an enormous boost to the ailing Argentinian economy and would have helped improve relations between the UK and Argentina and probably more importantly the Islanders themselves.
Who knows where that relationship would have led to.

But of course Kirchner turned the offer down.

Whose interests was she serving there?

But of course, you continue blaming the UK and the USA for all of Argentina's problems.....because that fits in with your preconceived, biased and even bigoted viewpoint.

2) I forgot that debtors by nature are at fault.

Not at all - the world is a screwed up place with a screwed up system controlling it.
And it needs urgent and radical reform.

But not everything that is wrong with the world is the fault of the UK or USA - far from it.

Read the article please.

www.newsrecord.co...

Why?
You obviously haven't read the last article you linked to.

3). Anglo is relevant. Apparently invading countries without just cause and exterminating or enslaving native peoples is only legitimate if you are America or England.

Not at all.
Yes it was wrong - but judging by the standards of time it wasn't.

You do know that all Empires invaded other nations, enslaved people and slaughtered countless millions of people.
The Mongols.
Alexander.
The Hittites.
The Egyptians.
The Persians.
The Incas.
The Aztecs.
The Spanish.
The Belgians.
The French.

The list is endless.

And you do know that slavery existed in Africa well before any White man or 'Anglo' got there?
And you do know that nearly every single African caught and sold into slavery was initially caught and sold by another African?
And you do know that tribal warfare is still endemic throughout the African continent.
Slavery is still common practice in Arabia and the Middle East.

Slavery is abhorrent, as is racism....of any kind!

Those are all just though because Anglos are always always in the right, right?

Not at all.....but unfortunately our failings are equally as common in nearly every other racial grouping - they seem to be a human thing.

If you wanna argue about Anglo racism I'm very well informed.

Yes, so am I - only I try to come at it free from any sort of bigotry or preconceived stance.

edit on 6/10/14 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Your real name isn't Jeremiah Clerkson by any chance is it?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

You mean Jeremy? And how does that even make sense?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

You're correct that every nation and group is responsible for doing something bad but that doesn't excuse the Anglos from responsibility. We finally have the knowledge and technology to start getting past the mistakes of humanity in the past but America supported by the other Anglo nations and most of Europe has just decided to take their turn at hegemony. The British are by and large pretty egalitarian and high minded but that's easy to do after you lose power and want to look good.

The point is that Anglos pat themselves on the back for their high minded idea while truly only caring about themselves. They created the modern system and the modern system is all based on oppressing the non Anglo/European nations of the world. Britain talks a good game but the corruption is pretty clear. You guys just take orders from Washington these days because you know that if any non Anglo nation becomes dominant you have centuries of bad karma to pay back.

Your own people will come for you first. China hasn't forgotten the Opium wars. Africa still pays the price or imperialism. Arabs have not forgotten how you and the French stabbed them in the back. Russia remembers how you and the rest of Western Europe marginalized and vilified then for most of history and even after that they still saved your ass in both world wars. Even after that you guys have America the crown of savior for defeating Hitler and went right back to hating on Russia. Europe and America are still doing that. Just look at Ukraine and Syria.

Scotland and Ireland remember what you've done. I knew Scottish independence would fail. The system can't be allowed to crumble or the Anglos would all have to own up.

But yeah Argentina probably brought it on themselves. Let's alienate them further. The goal is to alienate every potential ally with Anglo superiority and selfcenteredness right?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

You're correct that every nation and group is responsible for doing something bad but that doesn't excuse the Anglos from responsibility.

No 'Anglo' alive today should be held responsible for the 'sins of their fathers'.
If that is the case then there is truly no hope for mankind - at what point do we forgive and move on?
Otherwise we've all got old scores to settle.

But why do you reserve your anger and hatred for 'Anglos' in particular?
Bear in mind other nations and groups were far more brutal and repressive in building and maintaining their respective empires.

The British are by and large pretty egalitarian and high minded but that's easy to do after you lose power and want to look good.

What's 'losing power' got to do with anything.
The British are far more concerned with just getting on with their lives - I really don't know where you get the opinion we want to 'look good'.
Like most people we really couldn't give a toss about such things, we have far more important things to concern ourselves with other than how we are viewed the world over.

You guys just take orders from Washington these days because you know that if any non Anglo nation becomes dominant you have centuries of bad karma to pay back.

Just shows how wrong your assessment is - if anything the UK takes far too many orders from Brussels nowadays, the source of growing anger in the UK.

As for karma - if true then there's a whole lot of payback well overdue for most nations in the world.
And I dread to think what the future has in store for some others I could name.
The UK won't be unique in that.

Your own people will come for you first. China hasn't forgotten the Opium wars.

China are 'our people'?
I'm sure that'll be as much a surprise to them as it will be to the UK.

Africa still pays the price or imperialism.

Yes, more should definitely be done for Africa - a subject worthy of a thread on its own.
But it doesn't help itself much at times with its rampant corruption and internecine tribal warfare and racial conflict.

Arabs have not forgotten how you and the French stabbed them in the back.

Pot / Kettle sort of springs to mind.

Russia remembers how you and the rest of Western Europe marginalized and vilified then for most of history and even after that they still saved your ass in both world wars.

Russia looks after Russia - end of story.

Just look at Ukraine and Syria.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
If you don't get my point I suggest you spend a little time in quiet reflection .

Scotland and Ireland remember what you've done.

And what exactly have 'we' done in Scotland and Ireland?

Perhaps you could answer this unlike the direct questions I asked you in your previous post.

I knew Scottish independence would fail. The system can't be allowed to crumble or the Anglos would all have to own up.

The only reason it 'failed' is because more Scots voted against independence than voted for it - pure and simple.

But of course, because it didn't go the way you wanted it - even though it had absolutely nothing to do with you - then it must be part of some sort of conspiracy by those bastard English.

But yeah Argentina probably brought it on themselves. Let's alienate them further. The goal is to alienate every potential ally with Anglo superiority and selfcenteredness right?

Did you bother to even read what I posted about the UK's offer to Argentina?
Sorry, but that was a conciliatory gesture and no-one except the extremely paranoid or bigoted could attempt to describe it as an attempt to 'alienate'.

You appear to reserve your ire and anger solely for what you call 'Anglos' whilst ignoring the acts and deeds of anyone else.
You seem to have a preconceived dislike of 'Anglos'.
To be honest, your posts reek of bigotry and ignorance - you seem to think that every thing that is wrong in the world is the fault of the UK / USA.
Sure, a lot is - but far from all.

edit on 9/10/14 by Freeborn because: fix quote

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Where did all the Nazi's go after WWII?

To countries that didn't care what side they were on during the war.

Clarkson is sometimes abrasive, but he hasn't killed anyone in persuit of his particular megalomania.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Anglo, Anglo, Anglo...en fin. Ya se sabe de donde vienes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join