It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My bi polar thanks Prozac! I feel like ME!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
While I am glad you are feeling more like yourself again, I would like to give you some advice, take it how you will. I started taking Prozac several years ago for depression and anxiety issues. At first I felt incredible(after about 1-2 weeks after the medication kicked in). I felt like myself, it vastly improved my sexual performance!!!! I thought it was a miracle drug. After several months of taking it, the side effects started to kick in. The medicine did not feel like it was working anymore, I was not sleeping most of the time, but sometimes I could do nothing but sleep. I slowly started noticing changes in my attitude, and a great loss of feelings or compassion. I talked to the Dr. and they upped my dose to 60mg from 30. No change really. Long story short, I soon lost my insurance and also my Prozac. You are supposed to ween off of it but instead went cold turkey. Big mistake!! Point is, when you DO stop taking it, definitely ween off with a Dr.s help. I also advise that you do not plan on taking it longer than 6-8 months. Prozac(fluoxetine) has fluoride in it, hence the (fluo) in the name. It is definitely NOT something that is good for you, especially long term. Again, I am so happy to hear that it is working for you, just please use extreme caution and do some research into the long term effects of fluoride and prozac.

I only take 20mg right now and I see my doctor often and let her know how I am feeling. She is the first to take me off something if it is not working but this is the first medicine I have been on in my life that has worked.

I know a few people who have taken Prozac for years and love it and I know others who have had major side effects from it. The DNA test I had I think everyone should have before they are put on any kind of mental health medication and I also think that doctors need to really understand the medications they are giving and give them for the right disorders. IMO too many people are given meds they should not even be on in the first place hence causing major problems.

I am someone who will have to be on meds their entire life for this at least until the one thing that shall not be name is legalized then I won't need any meds so until that point I'm going to be on something and for now it's Prozac.

As for fluoride that is the least of my concerns. I know all about fluoride and how bad it is but so is breathing the air outside and eating food basically. I will not worry myself with such things when I am in need of help and medication. I eat an organic diet and get my exercise daily, a 16 month old will give you more exercise than a gym membership! If treating bi polar was as simple as diet and exercise I wouldn't need medication. I have taken some crazy meds in my life full well knowing the side effects and risks. I begged my dermatologist for accutane years ago. I had cystic acne and nothing worked but accutane was a MIRACLE. I had beautiful skin afterwards but I also had hair loss and vision loss that to this day my vision is not the same esp night driving but I felt the side effects out weighed the depression my acne caused. I didn't want to leave my house. Do you know what it's like to have kids point at your face and say you have boo boos or give you band aids? They don't know any better and it was sweet but it was also embarrassing so I went with the meds to clear it up and it worked. I would never do it again though lol but at the time I was very desperate.

All I'm saying is when you reach a certain point you have to weigh the good with the bad and make a choice. I choose to be happy and be able to take care of my son and not be angry and get upset over small things. I spilled a bowl of water this evening that prior could have set me off on a mini rage but this time I just laughed and cleaned it up. Unless you have bi polar you have no idea how hard it is to deal with.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
www.infiniteunknown.net...

Fluorides are a key ingredient of Prozac and many other psychiatric drugs. Prozac, scientific name Fluoxetine, is 94% fluoride.Sodium Fluoride is one of the basic ingredients in both PROZAC (FLUoxetene Hydrochloride)& Sarin Nerve Gas (Isopropyl-Methyl-Phosphoryl FLUORIDE) -The same Sarin Nerve Gas that terrorists released on a crowded Japanese subway train!).Sodium Fluoride is nothing more(or less)than a hazardous waste by-product of nuclear and aluminum industries.It’s the primary ingredient in rat,cockroach poisons,anesthetic,hypnotic & psychiatric drugs,NERVE GAS! It is added to toothpastes & drinking water.

And your point being?

Do you eat all organic and live in a clean air environment and have filtered spring water? If not then you are ingesting just as many toxins.

I know all about what is in Prozac it's also been around for longer than I've been alive and has been proven to treat my condition. Like I said take the good with the bad and make a choice.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Glad to hear it!

I had a bout with my depression over the weekend

It had started earlier in the week, but I let slide because I was too busy...and It happened. My antidepressant almost killed me twice. Seizures. Did a little dose of Seroquel years ago. Dreams were awful and it gave me headaches probably because it messes with the glands so much it causes blood sugar to go out of whack. I had a great neurologist/psychiatrist but he no longer accepts my insurance and I live an hour and a half away with no transportation (for about a month).

I took seroquel for about 8 months or so. It was years ago so I don't remember exactly how long but yea that stuff is intense. It worked to an extent. I do remember it messing with my motor skills and it made it really hard to work. I had two jobs at the time I was on it and trying to talk to people was really annoying because my mouth couldn't keep up with my brain. It took a couple months for that to stop and it also took all I had to NOT PASS out when took my meds. I was also a guinea pig basically so I was on 800mg a day! I remember the first time I took my meds I passed out mid sentence! It knocked me out! I stopped taking it because I didn't like the side effects and how it made me feel as a person.

I hope it works permanently. I remember that feeling of being "normal" and how good it was. You didn't have to worry about unexplainably crying over the quality of bacon at the grocery store because it was a metaphor for your life...

Universe watch over you...now, if your back pain and insomnia can improve...

I hope so too! It's been refreshing. Oh I've cried over the silliest things much like your bacon metaphor

My back has actually been feeling much better! I see a chiropractor weekly and it has helped a lot. They have worked on my neck which had no curve so that is helping. My lower back issues they believe happened during pregnancy which are not as easily fixed but I can do my treatments and just be careful. We are getting a new couch because the one we have is BAD for my back so I'm happy about that. I never liked it any way lol

As for my insomnia I take meds for it but the new muscle relaxer they gave me knocks me out so I haven't really needed my sleeping pill. lol If I can't sleep I take it but if I can sleep naturally I don't.

Thanks for your reply. I hope you can get some help for your depression. If you ever need to talk just message me

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blinkydoo
It is a great feeling to find a doctor who actually listens to what you say. I thought all doctors were the "hurry up, next patient" type until I recently changed to a new family doc. She listens, asks questions that are not simply routine, sees you again within 3 days of a new long term prescription to see any immediate side effects and then sees you again within 1-2 months to check up on progress. She will also always call you back within an hour or two if you have any questions that you call in about.

My doctor is this way! I love her and her assistant. They are even so sweet to my son. It took me a while to find her and like I said she isn't even a MD doctor but an ARNP, a registered nurse practitioner. She is awesome and so down to earth. A few ailments I have her daughter deals with so she really understands. I never feel rushed with her at all like I did with the previous ones I went to. The first one I saw did nothing but hand me script after script and she did NOT listen to me! I stopped seeing her for that reason. I had a stack of scripts she gave me. I could have made up all kinds of ailments and she would have just handed me more meds. I bet the pharmaceutical companies love her!

So, congrats on feeling better and finding someone who listens - just finding that one who listens is always a great experience and, imho, helps the healing process.

Thank you and yes it does help!

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I have had bi polar almost my whole life too and anxiety so i know it must be a god send too feel like yourself and happy that is awesome! So great too hear
My mother in law has been on prozac for about 10 years (here in australia she has to have government permission to be on her dose and for that duration) and you can tell when she doesn't take it but it works for her with no bad side effects ever, so its not all bad for everyone, me i am supposed to be taking a high dose of lexapro but it doesn't work so i don't bother and i am on valium for my anxiety to be taken only when needed, i have been on so many meds since the age of 13 that i cant even remember them all! i wish i could find something that would work for me so im going to ask my dr about this DNA test you speak of, from what i have read your doctor sounds great its hard to find doctors that genuinely care and are thorough in their diagnoses these days!

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Good for you!

I'm on generic Prozac, but stopped for a bit as it kept me 'blocked' mentally. Unfortunately, my pld habits are coming back (aggressiveness, paranoia...) is coming back, and what the test you did sounds interesting...i hope i can try that and see if a different med works

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Hey, to each their own. I would never expect you to do anything other than what you feel is right, nor should you. Like I said, I am very happy for you for finding the cure for what ails ya' I was just trying to give some friendly advice, that is all. You know, its funny. The very day I decided to go on Prozac, I distinctly remember my mother telling me "honey, you know those pills are nothing but trouble?". Of course, like any man would, especially being in the state of mind I was in, defended myself and brushed off everything she said. To this day, I think about it ALL the time, and hear her voice in my head clear as day, and really had wished I had listened to her. Granted, she did not try to persuade me from taking Prozac inparticuliar, (she had no knowledge of the actual dangers of Proazac, she just meant pharmecuticials in general). As for the diet and exercise...I know, right? Damn Dr.s always say that, and it has always pissed me off to be honest. I was in no way saying that THAT was all you needed to do to help with your disorder. That, is important though, I dont know why, it just is. Lastly, again, glad the prozac is your cure. I hope it does not do for you what it did for me. It stopped working at every dose level once the tolerance was built to it. Started at 20mg, ended with 80mg, and it stopped working as well. Good luck with everything, it seems like you can finally live a life you enjoy and relate to, and you deserve it! I will see ya around
edit on 29-9-2014 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I am glad this helped you. I just hope that some day, we can help some of these issues without medication.

We already have well documented 'cures' for depression: Diet, excerise and, I think key, meditation. But all those answers require concerted and consistant work to take effect.

We live in an addicted (to everything) society that wants gratifiction now, now, faster, faster, more, more more and no effort please.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Your present post is in direct contradiction of a recent one that you posted

www.abovetopsecret.com...

where you were angry at not being able to get the meds you wanted and said

For the first time in my life I take medications. I was always one who never liked them unless they were really needed.

I'm on meds for tachycardia, GERD (lovely gift left over from pregnancy) high cholesterol but I take an herbal for that, tramadol/Fioricet for two bulging discs in my neck, flexeril for lower back issues, Vitamin D, Prozac and temazepam for insomnia.

You said the Prozac was, in conjunction with temazepam, for insomina.

Now I'm reading an entirely different story from you and fear that you may be out of control. While a young child in the house it is dangerous to be 'playing' with this stuff. This merry-go-round with perscription meds kills thousands, especially when not taken as directed.

It is apparent from your postings that you have physical and mental health issues and probably addiction issues as well (addiction and bi-polar go together often - but each side of the divide approach the spectrum differently).

Best of luck and keep checking in with ATS.

edit on 29-9-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
For some people these drugs are a godsend. For others who cannot break them down properly they turn into a nightmare. I'm glad they work for you.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I never said it wasn't. My mother and grandmother suffered from extreme bipolar disorder. I know quite a bit after being Mis-diagnosed for it for more than 10 years.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

I think its wise for everyone to stay well away from antidrressents as they are dangerous drugs but it seems in your case it has actually done you some good. Please do research on antidepressants as they are addictive and giving people chemical labotomies seems to be a common outome with continued use.

Perhaps try to take them only every second month so the body does not become addicted.

cheers

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
For some people these drugs are a godsend. For others who cannot break them down properly they turn into a nightmare. I'm glad they work for you.

I agree, however, those that I know that meds work for, are scrupulous in taking them as directed, in close contact with an expert in psyco-pharmocology and many have their meds handed out to them by others. Even those that it does work for are in constant ajustment of meds and amounts. Going off meds is a regular occurance, then having to start over again. In some cases, the cure is worse then the disease. Many, that I know, quit and use other modalities to control their symptomatic behavoirs and ideation.

They are a godsend in the short term but I've serious doubts about long term use for any but the danerously ill.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

We already have well documented 'cures' for depression: Diet, excerise and, I think key, meditation. But all those answers require concerted and consistant work to take effect.

This is true, but it cannot be emphasised enough, in my opinion, how hard this path is. In the short term, to get relief and perspective, drugs are still sometimes necessary.

The key thing to remember though, in the long term, drugs are a patch on the problem, not a cure. The beautiful thing about prozac, if it works for you, as it seems to for the OP, is that it gives you this sense of 'normal'. If you make the decision not to be dependent on drugs to manage your illness, then prozac can be really empowering and help you to take control of your illness. By no means easy, but knowing what is the normal 'you' is the primary key. Once you have attained that, you can recognise when you slip from that. Once you can see the slippage you can then look around and identify the triggers, physical, psychological and environmental.

It changed my life and the way I was going, I wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for prozac and it was for that simple thing, knowing what the 'normal' me was. That doesn't mean a normalised, toned down or a controlled me, it just means the 'me' I am comfortable living with. I don't do talking about myself, so cognitive therapy wasn't an option, though the OP should consider it if it's available. Learning about psychology and physiology though, in depth, down to the bones, honest self-analysis is do able on your own. You can reprogramme yourself, if you want to and are willing to go the long haul. Short term pain for long term gain.

Another important point that is essential to bear in mind if going down that route though is parental influence. Understand your parents, know what shaped them and how that translated into your relationship to them. I cannot emphasise how important that is to your healing yourself mentally. You have to know their upbringing to as much depth as possible. Mental illness is as much about epigenetic as it is genetics, as well as environment, nurture and diet. Dissecting how you came to be is not about closure, or having big verbal heart to hearts, unless you want it to, or even about forgiveness and the such like, it is simply about knowing as much as you can so that you can accept who and why you are the way you are, and then mend the bits that don't work, or hold you back. The process in itself serves as a behaviour modifier. It is simple, when you understand why something happens, why you react the way that you do, you suddenly find that it doesn't have the same power to cause the bio-chemical reactions that create the behaviour extremes. You neutralise the threat.

To the OP, in terms of self-medication. That worked for me too, but it comes with it's own problems. Long term usage can exacerbate your condition, it can also create additional ones. I am not going to be a hypocrit, I was on prozac for four months, gave me that 'normal', didn't need anything unnatural again. Natural, self medication, helped me enormously with the required introspection, but there were times when I petered on a slippery slope towards it being more about escapism and avoidance. I wouldn't recommend it for that reason as well as the possible exacerbating effects. Meditation is a far safer way to gain the introspection that you need, if, like me, sitting still is an issue, I recommend active meditation/contemplation. Either just doing mindless tasks, or something like Tai Chi would probably work.

If you choose to go this route, there may be times when you need to go back on prozac. Permanent neurological and physiological change doesn't happen overnight, took me years, but it was worth it and occasionally you just need a little extra help, and because life continues to happen. I got a prescription for it twice, after the first time, for those very reasons. Never filled them. It was enough just to know I could ask for help and it be there I suppose, but there is no shame in needing that helping hand, not when you are working so hard at making yourself permanently better. It is just a bump in the road, not an indicator that you are on the wrong track.

Whatever you choose, best of luck and don't forget to have faith in yourself that you can overcome this.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: rickymouse

I agree, however, those that I know that meds work for, are scrupulous in taking them as directed, in close contact with an expert in psyco-pharmocology and many have their meds handed out to them by others. Even those that it does work for are in constant ajustment of meds and amounts. Going off meds is a regular occurance, then having to start over again. In some cases, the cure is worse then the disease. Many, that I know, quit and use other modalities to control their symptomatic behavoirs and ideation.

They are a godsend in the short term but I've serious doubts about long term use for any but the danerously ill.

I won't take any long term meds again. I have been going over my genetic report and have found that I can't clear most types of drugs out of my system. Short term, maybe up to seven days, no problem. This includes most anti-psychotic meds and also most xanthians and also includes the majority of antidepressants. I won't take them, if they do not clear then you got problems. Missing enzymes or reduced enzymes all over the place. I can't even break down caffeine or theobromine well. I already knew that though. one cup of coffee and I am ready to go. I usually make my coffee half as strong as most people and hate those high power Expressos. I don't need any speed, caffeine does the trick and is cheaper.
edit on 30-9-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It's great that you found something that is helping.

Keep feeling like yourself!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I'm glad to hear that, but, there are ways to achieve what Prozac does, without Prozac and it's side effects...

I wasn't aware that promoting drugs was ok on ATS - I would think "FDA approved", I would assume MORE so not appropriate for those sold by corporate drug dealers, but I guess not.
Weird. Well then it should be perfectly fine to tell you this:

Try binaurals or isochronics for activating production of seratonin and other chemicals your brain is lacking, which cause the disorder, instead of putting a band-aid on a bullet wound, so to speak.
Use 40Hz gamma, 20Hz beta, 10Hz alpha, 5Hz theta, 2.5Hz delta combo - one after the other, about 10 minutes each.
All basically the note "E" (in A432Hz tuning), correlates to your pineal gland, and the color indigo.
No side effects, but don't go driving or operating machinery after for a while.
I'll send you a track with all this in it if you like.
Breathing properly helps too.
Also, get a negative ion generator, about $20 for a little one that's more than enough.

I'm not a doctor but I am a certified audio engineer and sound therapist, researcher, published author, and instructor, and this information comes not directly from me or my studies, but studies conducted by research institutes and universities, which I have replicated myself and confirmed first hand, of course.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: KAOStheory

Sounds like a good idea, i heard you should listen to those through headphones and a certain type to acheive the best results do you know if thats true?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

Agreeing with your post. They start off good, but then you start to notice changes. Once you've tzken these meds after 6 months, you are indeed addicted.

I'm currently weaning off Effexor. Doing it very slowly, since I made the mistake of weaning too quickly off Paxil and attempted suicide several times, as well as horrible side effects. I started weaning in June. I was at 75 mg a day and just tapered it down again to 37.5 every day and a half. Cant get smaller amounts of it than that and can't cut in half since they are capsules. So I adjust the timing. I'll do this for a few weeks then go to every two days. I'm scared to go too quickly in case of side effects.

My family notes I'm doing better.

For me, I want to be normal and discover who I am, not on drugs. I took these to cope with going through a divorce. It helped for awhile but I no longer feel I need them since the source of my depression was being married to an asshole!

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing your story.
I wish you well and glad you are feeling better.

One thing; I also quit using the drug we can't discuss. For me I think that may have been a major contributing factor in my mood swings. Had to wean off that stuff too. I don't have bi polar. Never been diagnosed with any mental illness. Although my family would say I'm skitzo.

Anyways hope you continue to feel more yourself on the Prozac.

<< 1    3 >>

join