It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just give me my meds and stop assuming!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
For the first time in my life I take medications. I was always one who never liked them unless they were really needed.

I'm on meds for tachycardia, GERD (lovely gift left over from pregnancy) high cholesterol but I take an herbal for that, tramadol/Fioricet for two bulging discs in my neck, flexeril for lower back issues, Vitamin D, Prozac and temazepam for insomnia.

Well my temazepam prescription was for I believe 5mg. I took it for about two weeks to give it a chance and it wasn't working so I googled the dosages online and then took two and bam it worked. Well I just tried to fill it and was given this long speech about it being a controlled substance and all that crap. She said it was too soon to refill it. I told her I was taking two and that's why I am refilling sooner. She said my doctor has to approve a higher dosage before they can fill it. Ahhhhh!

Seriously how do people get high off these things. I feel nothing other than I get slightly sleepy and it helps me to stay asleep which is my problem. I've always woken up multiple times and couldn't go back to sleep. For the first time in my adult life I've been able to sleep through the night without waking up...minus the midnight sleepwalk snacking which is another thread itself, literally.

So here it is almost 1am and I'm up when I should be sleeping. My doctor is not in this week and I don't see her until Tuesday.

One of my other meds has just been deemed a controlled substance too. I mean wth!! People who abuse pills make it VERY hard for those who need it and don't abuse it. You are automatically looked at as an addict when you ask for more or try and refill sooner. Had I known it would have been a problem I would have called my doctor first! I don't know these things! It's all new to me. Hell I just found out people are making drugs from baby formula so in some places it's behind the counter. People will make drugs out of anything it seems.

The messed up thing is I had to put hydrocodone down as an allergy because every doctor kept trying to give it to me. It does make me sick and itch and I just don't like it. My current meds make me feel just fine, no side effects. I also was given zofran for nausea after my surgery and it was insane the hoops I had to jump to get that covered and even then they would only cover 12 for 30 days!!! It's an anti nausea medication. Hell percocets were easier to get than the zofran!

It's like the highly addictive ones they hand out like candy and the others they make you jump through hoops for.

Sorry if this is random I am just wide awake and trying to sleep. I'll fall asleep but it will be around 3am and I'll be up at 7:30 with my son. I can function on that much sleep but I'd rather not!!

I've tried many natural alternatives for sleep and only one works but I can't discuss it on here and it's not legal where I live. I took valerian root years ago but it wreaked havoc on my stomach after a month and I had to stop. OTC sleep aids make my heart race, so that isn't good with the tacycardia and the meds I take for that. I've done the warm milk, tea (which I hate) and every other natural remedy you can think of over the years.

I guess I'll just wait til Tuesday to get some sleep. Who needs it anyways....
edit on 9/17/2014 by mblahnikluver because: Spelling, hit enter on accident. I'm on my phone.

edit on 9/17/2014 by mblahnikluver because: Grammar

edit on 9/17/2014 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/17/2014 by mblahnikluver because: Never make threads on an iphone

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
For your information:

Addiction to temazepam is very widespread. You can get addicted to temazepam after only a couple of weeks regular use. When a person is addicted to temazepam they will experience benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms which may be severe when they try to stop or reduce the dose of temazepam. Those suffering from an addiction to temazepam need to follow a slow withdrawal plan to minimise the severity of withdrawal symptoms. We recommend that the person gradually crosses over to an equivalent dose of the benzodiazepine drug diazepam. You can read here the article by Prof Ashton on the reasons for a diazepam taper. It is very important that withdrawal from benzodiazepines such as temazepam is done slowly as abrupt or over rapid withdrawal can cause serious and even life threatening mental and physical effects including seizures, psychosis and acute suicidal ideation. If you are addicted to temazepam and wish to withdraw from temazepam we recommend that you use the below withdrawal guide to wean yourself off of temazepam. It is important to note that the below withdrawal guide is only a suggested withdrawal guide as the rate that people can reduce at can vary significantly with some people being able to reduce fairly quickly and others need to go particularly slowly.

I've had two friends, close ones, who took this for 'sleep' who both nearly died withdrawing from the drug. Nobody told them how addictive (physically - and mentally) they were. They should not be perscripted for 'sleep' issues but regularly are because they don't make you 'high'. You do get addicted (your rant reads like addiction already) to them very quickly and are in denial because: 1) the doctor gave it too me and 2) I can't sleep without it.

I'd find a new doctor if I were you. I'd be really honest and careful walking on that street.

non-benzodiazepines.org.uk...
edit on 18-9-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

No I don't need a new doctor she is just fine. I actually asked for these because my mother in law takes them and said they helped her. I've never taken pills before so this is all very new to me. I'm use to the one thing we can't talk about on here so I have to do something. I can't go with no sleep, well not no sleep but little sleep.

I will mention this to her on Tuesday and see if she recommends something else to which I'm pretty sure she will. She listens to what I say and offers suggestions. She had mentioned something else for sleep a while back but I mentioned temazepam and she said ok I could try the low dose. If it's that addictive I don't want it. Yes it works and if it's not meant for major sleep issues then I really don't want it.

Thanks for sharing this information!

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
What is it really for? I mean what purpose was it manufactured for if it wasn't for sleep issues?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Tramadol ruins kidneys.

Fioricet makes you crazy.

Take the Hydocodone for pain. Trust me on that.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Having dealt with sleep issues my whole life, juggling between narcolepsy and insomnia, I haven't found a single medication, alternative remedy, herb, food, or substance that helps on a long-term basis. I've tried it all.

I know this isn't what you, me, or anyone wants to hear, but it's worth looking into more of a mental approach to sleep. Try developing a "wind down" routine to train yourself to get drowsy and sleep through (easier said than done!) It's the closest thing to a long-term solution. You will build tolerances to everything else, and they will not work consistently forever.

Good luck catching some winks!

edit on 18-9-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I then propose to you that you try those exercises. They look lame, but are very efficient. It is called La Technique Nadeau.

In short, Mr. Nadeau was told in the 70's his hearth was inoperable, and that he had a month left, at best, to live. And he was already an aged man. He began looking for exercises that would help him remain alive, and he came up with 3 exercises.

The one where you move your arms as if you were swimming, I added leg movements to simulate walking up some stairs.

My hearth was feeling so bad a year ago, my high blood pressure was flirting with death, seriously. Doctors wanted to put me on meds. I remembered those exercises, and started doing them two or 3 times a day, only a few minutes each at a time.

When I began, I was sleeping in cycles of precisely 2 hours, and no more than 4 hours a day on my best days. My hearth is now back to normal, and I didn't take the meds, only did 2 of the exercises. And it took me at least 2 months to get back to normal, because my hearth problem was related to another injury. I now sleep like a baby.

But if I stop doing them, in a month period I'll feel my hearth going boom boom again, and start loosing sleep. Those soft exercises are a life sentence, lol.

As for Mr. Nadeau? He kept on living for at least another 25 years, and he was proud to go on tv, smoking like a truck, just to rub it in the face of the doctors that had condemned him.

Here's the youtube links;

Also, I did the exercises with a bit more of energy. The advantage with them is that you can go at about any speed, and it'll be effective.

It also stops my headaches for a few hours, if I have one and do the exercises. Then I repeat.

AND, well, don't stop taking your meds, of course. You should feel your hearth feeling better quickly enough, tho.

Good luck to you.

EDIT: Sorry, I left for a short time. I see the vids do not load correctly... :/ Just put "Les exercices Nadeau" in youtube...
Sheesh, I'm tired now. lol

edit on 18-9-2014 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-9-2014 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: NowanKenubi

link me the you tube and Ill embed it for you correctly

ETA vids for member NK

edit on 18-9-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Tramadol ruins kidneys.

I have only taken one since I was given it. I only take it as needed. I don't believe in taking it daily if it's not needed.

That is just ridiculous and not true. I've taken this for almost a year and I'm fine. I'm bi polar I am already "crazy"

Again I only take this as needed too. I see a chiropractor and haven't had to take it as much since seeing one. They are working on my neck and it is getting better. On top of bulging discs I have no curve in my neck which is what's causing my migraines. If my neck starts to hurt and I don't take the Fioricet it causes my migraines. It only took a year to figure out that my neck was causing my migraines and a couple MRIs and x rays. I just refilled the bottle given to me in September of last year last month. So yea it's not like I take it all day long.

I believe I said it makes me sick and very itchy which is an allergy. Trust me when I say I would rather have pain than take that pill. I have also seen too many people addicted to it and even went through a ex boyfriends three rehab stints for this pill. I will pass. It's on my list of allergies. Even certain percocets make me itch. I got those after my surgeries and again only took them as needed.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

you have just decided to double the dose with out consulting your doctor - and you wonder why you are being questioned ?????????????

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Having dealt with sleep issues my whole life, juggling between narcolepsy and insomnia, I haven't found a single medication, alternative remedy, herb, food, or substance that helps on a long-term basis. I've tried it all.

Yea I know I think we have talked about this before.

I know this isn't what you, me, or anyone wants to hear, but it's worth looking into more of a mental approach to sleep. Try developing a "wind down" routine to train yourself to get drowsy and sleep through (easier said than done!) It's the closest thing to a long-term solution. You will build tolerances to everything else, and they will not work consistently forever.

See my problem is my brain never stops! I will go to bed around 10 after feeling sleepy ok the couch and I just lay in bed tossing and turning and my brain goes a mile a minute. It's quite annoying. I have even tried listening to different frequency vids on YouTube which did help me sleep but it was a very weird kind of lucid sleep. It was like my body was asleep but my mind was not. Honestly it kind of freaked me out! It was like the time I took melatonin to sleep on an overseas flight, not a good experience!

Good luck catching some winks!

Thank you!! You too

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

you have just decided to double the dose with out consulting your doctor - and you wonder why you are being questioned ?????????????

Oh please I didn't come here for judgement. Your name fits you right now.

I called and told my doctor and they said that was fine for your information and that when my actual doctor was back in the office next week she will address the dosage. Christ it's not like I took five!

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

you just changed your story

link   
a reply to: NowanKenubi

Now this is the stuff I would prefer! All natural! I only started taking meds because I was so desperate to sleep. I have a 15 month old and well he keeps me very busy and I get groggy mid afternoon. I try taking naps but just as I start to get sleepy he wakes from his nap. I was never a napping kind of person. Before I had my son it bothered me that my sleep cycle sucked but it was easier to deal with because I didn't have someone else to look after, just myself.

Thanks for the information and videos. I will be checking them out!

link   

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering like this. Just a quick thought - have you tried lavender essential oils. I doubt this would work in your case but then again one never knows.

Check online for pressure points for insomnia - these are super easy that you can do like in the middle of your frown line, one on the wrist, there are a number of them.

There is a valerian bath soak you can do as well and I have a few friends who rave about how well it works. This way you wouldn't have to ingest it and the bath itself can be relaxing.

Have you tried listening to Bob Ross (painter) or tried one of these ASMR videos: www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Good luck! Insomnia is nasty, I feel for you.
edit on 18/9/14 by ccseagull because: added another link

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

No I don't need a new doctor she is just fine. I actually asked for these because my mother in law takes them and said they helped her.

Thanks for sharing this information!

Hummmm - she prescribed for you because you asked for them??? Like I said, find another doctor.

Restoril™ (temazepam) is indicated for the short-term treatment of insomnia (generally 7 to 10 days).

For patients with short-term insomnia, instructions in the prescription should indicate that Restoril™ (temazepam) should be used for short periods of time (7 to 10 days).

The clinical trials performed in support of efficacy were 2 weeks in duration with the final formal assessment of sleep latency performed at the end of treatment.

Short Term use is the key here. And Prozac:

Major Depressive Disorder

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Bulimia Nervosa

Panic Disorder

Also from: www.rxlist.com...

NO MENTION OF SLEEP.

BOTH COME WITH SUICIDE WARNINGS!!!!!

I'd a friend, an RN on 12 hours shifts in a Neonatal Care Unit, who had severe sleep problems and access to a wonderful array of pharmeceuticals and other party favors. Nothing worked. She'd be at work without sleep sometimes for days, just who you want taking care of your neonate.

She went to an Indian (aruyvedic - sorry about the spelling) doctor who told her to go to bed before 10:00 pm every evening whether she had to get up in the morning or not. She was desparate enough to try it for two weeks. In a couple of days she was sleeping like a baby and still does. (the human body didn't evolve to be awake during the night - other then a short time - called the night watch - "Sync: How Order Emerges from Chaos in the Universe" by Steven Strogatz - wonderful)

After decades with similar though not so bad (perception - you probably sleep more then you think. Get a sleep screening) sleeping problems I see that I sleep best when I'm in bed early before 10:00 pm and in bed consistantly by that time. (I'm making myself a lier tonight and will probably toss and turn)

Another thing is to just let the 'not sleeping' be - experience it - don't fight it.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

you just changed your story

No I did not. I didn't mention that in my OP. I was speaking to the pharmacist when I say "she" in my OP.

I am one who calls their doctor over everything when it comes to meds! My doctor was out of town this week and she is only there three days a week and is 30 mins from me, she transferred from being local near me so I can't just see her when I want.

Don't go accusing people of things when it's not true.

Also this is the RANT forum. I'm ranting not asking for your judgement or opinion. If I wanted that I would have posted in a forum for such a subject.

Others have given me great advice and suggestions. You are throwing accusations.
edit on 9/18/2014 by mblahnikluver because: Because

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

I suffer from GERD and insomnia as well. I also suffer from sleep apnea which compounds the problem. You are lucky to even get meds. Every doctor I've talked to has flat out refused to prescribe me any medication. The lack of restful sleep as a result from these 3 conditions got so bad I ended up having a Hemiplegic Migraine, which can ultimately lead to a stroke if not treated quickly.

Once I saw a neurologist he asked if I was stressed and getting enough sleep. The obvious answer was yes I am stressed and no I'm not getting enough sleep. He recommended I follow up with my doctor who proceeded to skirt around the issue of medication as he always has. I tried to find a new family doctor and I'm now on a waiting list.

I might PM you to ask you some questions about the meds you are taking and how they have worked for you. I have tried over the counter sleep aids, and I've literally taken 4 at a time (maximum suggested adult dosage is 2) only to lie awake all night.

I certainly don't want to develop a dependency, but I need something to help me on nights where sleep just simply doesn't come naturally.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Tramadol ruins kidneys.

Another delightfully addive substance. One that is being cracked down on so people are turning again to heroin.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
See my problem is my brain never stops! I will go to bed around 10 after feeling sleepy ok the couch and I just lay in bed tossing and turning and my brain goes a mile a minute. It's quite annoying. I have even tried listening to different frequency vids on YouTube which did help me sleep but it was a very weird kind of lucid sleep. It was like my body was asleep but my mind was not. Honestly it kind of freaked me out! It was like the time I took melatonin to sleep on an overseas flight, not a good experience!

Yes, teaching the mind to relax and be still is extraordinarily difficult, but certainly not impossible. This is why training yourself with a routine is important, so it becomes second-nature. The reason I don't take any sleep aids or stimulants anymore is mostly because they don't work long-term, but also because they do weird, uncomfortable things that'll mess you up!
..as you already explained 'very weird kinds of sleep'

I'd rather just be tired or sleepless than deal with some of the outrageous and unpleasant side-effects.

Best wishes, and good luck finding whatever works for you!

edit on 18-9-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join