It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypotheses on the Silence of Extraterrestrials

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Astronomy predicts the existence of up to 40 billion Earth-like planets in our galaxy. How many of these could've already given rise to ''warp'' space faring civilizations, one hundred, one thousand, one million?

I say 'warp', needless to say, the real technology to overcome the light barrier problem might be something completely different.

If 'warp' civilizations do exist and know our whereabouts, why would they choose to go slient? Giving it some thought I came up with these interesting hypotheses:

The Ownership Hypothesis
The Human Virus
The Warp Bomb
The Zoo
Not God's Creation

Watch the video:
link here if embedded player is not working:
Hypotheses on the Silence of Extraterrestrials

What do you think? Can you imagine of other reasons for the silence?

edit on 29-9-2014 by taucetian because: grammar

edit on 29-9-2014 by taucetian because: added link

edit on 29-9-2014 by taucetian because: wording

edit on 29-9-2014 by taucetian because: trying to fix youtube link

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: taucetian

There are a lot of star systems to visit, another option is that they simply have not made it here yet.

edit on 29-9-2014 by Elton because: I love you.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
If I'm understanding your question correctly, if they have made it here, perhaps they feel we are not ready to receive legitimate contact? Because we are still far too juvenile? Yes, I realize that then negates many sightings etc. But like many people like to point out, the majority of "our" so called sightings/reports may not necessarily be "ET"

ETA because: All links fixed!
edit on 2992014 by MoonMystic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Just added a link to the video. Does it work? a reply to: MoonMystic

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   
They do not exist. That's a good reason why they are silent.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
How did you embed the video correctly? a reply to: Elton

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I got it. I just had to add the video number not the whole URL. a reply to: Elton

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

What if they are silent due to Earth being sacred ground.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Hypothesis:

They DO exist and they are actually here.
[X-Files music playing]

But they reside in "another dimension", not in our physical reality..although they can choose to cross into our reality when they wish so.
(There are some theses that a civilization that is so advanced that it conducts interstellar space travel has indeed ALSO mastered space/time.) They possibly have no reason to exist in our "physical" reality since there are way to many limits, light speed just one of them of course. Or they might be beings which live in such another reality in the first place.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
and the most logical answer is...observing from the by stands.

What do we do when we encounter an aggressive species in nature ? we hide and observe it. We put them to sleep and take samples. It makes no sense whatsoever for them to announce themselves.

This is how a advanced species deals with lower life forms. As hard as it may be for our ego to accept it, but we are no more to them than animals are to us. Would you jump up from the bushes and announce your self to a roaming pack of lions ?

"I come in peace !!!!"

This makes sense from every ET perspective you wanna look at...

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
We are simply a chaotic species.

Our planet cycles between glacial and non glacial, we are heading for another glacial cycle right about now, so why bother!

They do not want to help such a war like species because they are not that stupid.

They wait.

P

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Or with which hypothesis do you agree the most? a reply to: taucetian

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

Yes, I think any race capable of traveling such vast distances has gone past the kind of technology we could even imagine at this stage, possibly, which in turn would likely mean that they have (again, guessing) been able to breach the apparent confinements of our perceived reality due to having a much more in-depth understanding of it.

I still feel they may generally keep them self hidden from us. For whatever reason. Perhaps they do show them self to certain ones, or communicate through telepathy. My first guess as to why they would be so cryptic towards the majority of us is that it has something to do with our level of evolution.

Maybe they want us to reach a level of understanding and maturity where we are capable of discovering them? That's if we don't destroy ourselves first.

ETA: That is of course assuming they are interested in us as a species at all.

edit on 2992014 by MoonMystic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I think it is because they are alien and we are hostile. If they are not humanoid enough we would more than likely consider then demons or some other foolish nonsense. Besides I don't think we are ready to meet any civilization that kills and mutilates cows, sheep, humans, or any creatures on Earth. The Indians of South America found out their "gods" were not always good.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
We don't try and communicate with ants, but we do try to with dolphins. We don't hook sloths up to computers but by god we'll hook a monkey up to one. Perhaps the same for them, interacting with us would hold no value to them, so they go and interact with more intelligent species about the universe, or ones that even they can learn something from... They probably know everything we know already. We're just very basic data to them nowadays, and they want something more complex. That or any of the other hundreds of possibilities for this "silence" scenario

But I do agree with one thing often associated with this topic - they probably had to overcome wars and stuff like that to create the technology to reach us - well, that kind of idea in a nutshell - so probably have better ethics than we can even imagine possible (about things like interfering/annihilating us).

What's more likely, is that I don't have a clue
But a star for you OP. It does make you wonder!
edit on 29-9-2014 by markymint because: added opinion

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Would you be willing to let the children play with loaded guns?

We cannot even get it together on this planet. Why would ET make contact knowing the end result could be disastrous? It could cause more harm than good. Which country would ET make contact with? Does that one country get to decide the fate of the planet?

What if humans were able to travel the stars as citizens of individual countries instead of a united earth?

I think it says something when a species is able to overcome petty conflicts to unite as one. Only then should we put our best foot forward. Hopefully by then ET will have noticed and decides to say hello.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
They may communicate with a completely novel technology that we are unaware of.

Also, I read a new article the other day about a statistical study that predicts GRBs are responsible for mass extinctions in every solar system on average of every 350 million years, this being the main limiting factor for advanced life in the galaxy.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

To you they don't exist. To people who have seen them, they do.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Maybe they aren't here.

Maybe if they are here, they're afraid of us. Just because you are a stronger animal doesn't mean you can't be afraid of a weaker animal. Some people are afraid of spiders even though we can kill a spider with no effort.

Maybe, if they are here, they know the future and have seen that interference would lead to some undesirable effects. Like cats who we decided to feed now only pretend to like us so we will feed them.

You'll never know until they tell you or science figures it out.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
1) there aren't any
2) they're too far away to notice us
3) they're way too different to relate to us (real aliens would be unlikely to be bilaterally symmetric bipeds)
4) the galaxy's too young for any species to have evolved to the point where they are extensively using 'warp drive'.
5) most alien species aren't acquisitive, or inquisitive
6) Greg Bear's hypothesis: if you start doing a lot of broadcasting and it's noticed, older very paranoid civilizations drop by and kill you before you become a threat
7) Tom Bedlam's hypothesis: about the time you figure out 'warp drive' and develop the technological infrastructure to support it, you discover metric engineering in the large, find that there's that little teaser of infinite energy, and you test it out, thus becoming the next mysterious GRB
8) you discover "warp drive", go visit a nearby planet or two, and bring back something that destroys your ecosystem. Ta-ta.
9) most any civilization that discovers warp drive finds a nearby civilization that is about their own level. And since it's nearly impossible to communicate with them, both think the other is a deadly danger and they lay off each other's planets and reduce them to gamma-irradiated rubble in a trice.
10) one faction on a planet gets there first. So, once the others find out your nation/city-state/hive has warp drive, the others bomb the entire planet into oblivion out of fear/envy etc.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join