It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush administration deliberately lying to teenagers about sexual education

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The Bush administration is spending over $900 million on abstinence education for teenagers to help stop pregnancy. But the program contains OUTRIGHT LIES, deliberately misleading teenagers about human sexuality and biology including:

-- Touching a person�s genitals can result in pregnancy.
-- HIV/AIDS can be spread via sweat and tears.
-- Half of all gay male teenagers have tested positive for AIDS.
-- Women who have an abortion are more prone to suicide.
-- A 43-day old fetus is a thinking person, and
-- During heterosexual intercourse, condoms fail 31 percent of the time. (the actual number is 3 percent)

In this day and age, providing misinformation is a new twist to the argument about teaching kids just to say no.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Where did you derive these facts from? Can you provide some links please.

Deep

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   

The Bush administration, with backing from the Republican Congress, is investing heavily in a just-say-no strategy for teenagers and sex. But youngsters taking the courses frequently receive medically inaccurate or misleading information, often in direct contradiction to the findings of government scientists, said the report by Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., an administration critic who long has argued for comprehensive sex education.

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

I did some googling and found the article..

- Attero

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Attero Auctorita]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
-- Touching a person�s genitals can result in pregnancy

Does that include touching yourself if you are male?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

-- Touching a person�s genitals can result in pregnancy

Does that include touching yourself if you are male?

Hey be carefull now you can get pregnat

Our country motto should be,

keep the young dumb and bible ridden.

And all tenage pregnacy, "divine intervention"

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I started a thread a few minutes after this one that covers this topic--my post includes several links to source materials for this story.

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Are they deliberately misinforming kids? Or are they just ignorant about the subject they are trying to teach?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
A couple of other things in this article really caught my eye (other than the disinformation they are teaching).

Congress first allocated money for abstinence-only programs in 2001, setting aside $80 million in grants, which go to a variety of religious, civic and medical organizations. President Bush has backed the movement enthusiastically, proposing to spend $270 million in 2005. Congress reduced that to about $168 million, bringing total abstinence spending to nearly $900 million over five years.

Nonpartisan researchers, however, have been unable to document measurable benefits of the abstinence-only model. Columbia University researchers found that, although teenagers who take "virginity pledges" may wait longer, 88 percent eventually have premarital sex.

The first is if 88% of those who take "virginity pledges" eventually do end up having premarital sex why the hell are we spending $900 million dollars? It that doesn't demonstrate what an obviously worthless project this is, I don't know what else would.

The second item of note was WHO was getting this money - religious, civic and medical organizations. Why are religous organizations getting money for preaching something that they teach every week anyway - have sex before marriage and you'll go to hell? Now they need money to reinforce that.

This lovely piece of federal spending gets my vote for biggest waste of my money to date.

B.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Just another example of religious people trying to control people to fit thier agenda. I think we should start locking up catholics and christians on site...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Mis leading people thou education is the second best way to controll the population. Put a generation of students thou school with that kind of rubbish and America will lose its super status not thou the economic growth of China but because the population including future leaders will be idoits.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Mis leading people thou education is the second best way to controll the population. Put a generation of students thou school with that kind of rubbish and America will lose its super status not thou the economic growth of China but because the population including future leaders will be idoits.

Yes, and the number ONE way to control people is through religion.
Combine the two and what do you get....???

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Reading the article I couldn't help but laugh. Abstinence doesn't work, it never has. Religion teaches people that their bodies are dirty vehicles of sin and sex should be suppressed, when in reality sex is a perfectly normal thing. It's funny you have the catholic church telling people sex is dirty and you have all these priests abusing kids.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Yes, and the number ONE way to control people is through religion.
Combine the two and what do you get....???
You get a brainwashed population who are idoits and need the government to run
there lives.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by xpert11]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
Reading the article I couldn't help but laugh. Abstinence doesn't work, it never has. Religion teaches people that their bodies are dirty vehicles of sin and sex should be suppressed, when in reality sex is a perfectly normal thing. It's funny you have the catholic church telling people sex is dirty and you have all these priests abusing kids.

Yes, can you say hypocrites? It can be an embarassment to be a catholic.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I hope teenagers today are smart enough to do their OWN research and not believe everything theiy're taught...especially under a Bush written ciriculum...

Oh...um...where are the Bush supporters on ATS in this thread?

He....He...He...Hellooooo? Were's the witty come back that explains this approach to all us dumb liberals who care too much and talk too much about the things that actually concern our nation....

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   

In this day and age, providing misinformation is a new twist to the argument about teaching kids just to say no.

Reminds me of when the pope announced "It is a scientific fact that condoms don't prevent the aids virus". Given the aids epidemics in poverty stricken countries.. and their reliance on faith.. it's genocide via disimformation and the man should be deeply ashamed of himself.
This 'education'
is dangerous. If I had kids being taught lies I'd pull them out of school or/ and protest and would hope others would do the same. [I'm also wondering if a woman masturbates are they trying to suggest she can get herself pregnant as well?]

I think this approach is the old school thinking where religion tries to 'scare' people into being 'moral'.. it only shows the church can't adapt to society anymore so it desperately tries to force submission [habit- can't burn them anymore]. Hopefully this is just another sign of it's demise.

[edit on 8-12-2004 by riley]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
eh? Alright here is a Bush supporter... I think the title of this thread is misleading as they aren't actually lies... Some are twisting the truth a bit, maybe exagerating... But statistics show that sheepskin condoms fail 31% of the time... I got nothin' on this one

If the kids interested in abstenence... then they'll take this class.... I for one am a Bush supporter with a huge libido...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
A couple of other things in this article really caught my eye (other than the disinformation they are teaching).

Congress first allocated money for abstinence-only programs in 2001, setting aside $80 million in grants, which go to a variety of religious, civic and medical organizations. President Bush has backed the movement enthusiastically, proposing to spend $270 million in 2005. Congress reduced that to about $168 million, bringing total abstinence spending to nearly $900 million over five years.

Nonpartisan researchers, however, have been unable to document measurable benefits of the abstinence-only model. Columbia University researchers found that, although teenagers who take "virginity pledges" may wait longer, 88 percent eventually have premarital sex.

*snip*

The second item of note was WHO was getting this money - religious, civic and medical organizations. Why are religous organizations getting money for preaching something that they teach every week anyway - have sex before marriage and you'll go to hell? Now they need money to reinforce that.

This lovely piece of federal spending gets my vote for biggest waste of my money to date.

B.

Want to get really mad? Alot of those sex education groups are Moonie fronts. I can post tons on this (I had about 30 Moonie bookmarks when I quit caring), but different normal sounding groups all over the country have been established by off-shoots of the Reverend Sun Myung Moon just for this purpose. Gettting government funding and a foothold in public schools. I know for a fact they are the ones in the New Jersey system and lobbying for several others as promised by Bush. The Moonies are huge Republican backers. They co-founded Falwell's Liberty University. They own the conservative Washington Times and papers all around the globe. And they hate, hate, hate homosexuals and pre-marital sex. But they love mass weddings and (for some reason) Republicans. They want to teach our children so bad they can't stand it. They'll pay anything and do. And the Federal government let's them, then kicks it all back after campaigns with stuff like this, paying Moonies to teach our kids.

The Bush's (father and son) have benefitted substantially from the good Reverend going back to Texas days, but the Bush 41 still takes 6 figure sums to stump for Moon on the international circuit. W got smart around the time this was coming out in 2000 and backed off. That's when Moon got creative with new group fronts, but it's still Moonies. All this is nothing new though.

It's been going on a while. From Nixon to Rumsfeld (back in the day) and Kim Jong Il to assisting Oliver North's Nicaraguan Freedom Fund, this is who owns and pulls the strings of the religious right.

They can lie to kids, because they paid to lie to kids and for the most part Repubilicans agree with them. Who's going to investigate them anyway? The Senators that crowned Moon the new Messiah on government property last year?
Oh and there's many, many links to the anti-Kerry groups like Swifites and Stolen Honor. These guys fund pratically everything. Even money bet they're in Sinclair Broadcasting and Diebold Voting too. If you look, they're in it. That goes for about everything. They back an anti-feminism group that just started in Iraq of all places. I mean they are the conservatives in charge now. Everywhere!

I can't imagine why this hasn't been blown wide open. Well I can...but I don't like to think about it. I'm pretty sure though if Red State America had a clue who they were really putting in charge here... :shk:

[edit on 8-12-2004 by RANT]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   

The Bush administration is spending over $900 million on abstinence education for teenagers to help stop pregnancy. But the program contains OUTRIGHT LIES, deliberately misleading teenagers about human sexuality and biology including:

-- Touching a person�s genitals can result in pregnancy.
-- HIV/AIDS can be spread via sweat and tears.
-- Half of all gay male teenagers have tested positive for AIDS.
-- Women who have an abortion are more prone to suicide.
-- A 43-day old fetus is a thinking person, and
-- During heterosexual intercourse, condoms fail 31 percent of the time. (the actual number is 3 percent)

BS statistics and lies just pour from this guy. But then they aren't lies when he's the real Messiah.

"The head of the love organ is shaped exactly like a poisonous rattlesnake. And just like a rattlesnake, it's always looking for a hole."

Oh yes, there was more. He went on to explain that 70% of all divorces result from the wife's inappropriate feelings of entitlement toward her husband's genitals.

Here's a nice primer to the new world order of MoonieRepublicanism, but the rabbit hole goes so much deeper.

He thinks he's Jesus people. We'll better than Jesus actually, since "Jesus failed." If anyone's going to set a nuke off in America it will be him. Oh excuse me... Him.

Family values. Gotta love 'em.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
But statistics show that sheepskin condoms fail 31% of the time... I got nothin' on this one

I doubt very much there are ANY stats on sheepskin condoms because of availability of them [maybe they were around 100 years ago] and I doubt any men would be willing to wrap sheep intestines around their penises opposed to latex.. and as they are made out of skin I don't think they'd be recomended to stop STDs anyway.. and this myth clearly would be in reference to normal condoms. It's not seriously twisting truth.. it's outright lies. The only way they'd know the % of gay kids with aids is to test all gay kids.. which wouldn't be very lawful.. besides which it assumes they have been sexually active.. and aids is a blood disorder and is generally not carried though sweat. Also.. the only way a woman could get pregnant through masturbation is if the man has already ejeculated over his/her hands [think someone would notice]. I doubt they include this in the 'education'.

Oh man that sounds so graphic. Apologies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join