It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Popular Names In USA Over Past 6 Decades

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Funny to see how this is a national tendency.

Map: Six Decades of the Most Popular Names for Girls, State-by-State

Map: Six Decades of the Most Popular Names for Boys, State-by-State

edit on 24-9-2014 by CosmicDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Soon it will be Juan and maria..

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

That was funny .... I bet in most European countries it will be Muhammad and Fathima !
edit on 24-9-2014 by CosmicDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: CosmicDude

That was funny .... I bet in most European countries it will be Muhammad and Fatima !

I think I read somewhere that Muhammad is now the top name in some European countries. No joke.

Yep found it, Muhammad is now the most popular name in Britain and in Oslo, Norway.

It is also the most popular name in Israel.

Fatima however, does not rank as high as Aisha and it's various forms (the name of Muhammad's favorite wife). But Aisha does not come near the popularity of Muhammad in western countries.

edit on 10Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:54:33 -0500am92409amk243 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

originally posted by: CosmicDude

That was funny .... I bet in most European countries it will be Muhammad and Fathima !

I think I read somewhere that Muhammad is now the top name in some european countries. No joke.

The best jokes are the ones that have some truth to them....Now I'm a little depressed. .

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Already ?! ...Sooner than I thought

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
What happened to solid traditional names for boys like Aiden, Brayden, Cayden, Grayden, Hayden, Jayden, Thayden, Larren, Jarren, Orren, and Luca? (Alternative spelling mandatory.)

For girls: Siri or Cortana.

And for those too hip to let their little bundle of joy settle into one particular gender: Freetrade VentiNonfatPumpkinSpiceLatte.
edit on 24-9-2014 by johnsequitur1221 because: Freetrade VentiNonFatPumpkinSpiceLatte

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'm surprised that Cody or Savannah didn't pop up in southern states.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CosmicDude

It would be interesting to see what made those changes.

lots of times it has to with certain people being popular at TV or in sports.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The trend is now going toward old names that were more popular in the 1910s-1940s. Thankfully. I hate the Aidans Caydens Kaylas and Kylies. Awful!

My 4 month old has an old traditional name, and most everyone I know having children now are going that route as well. It's only the younger parents who aren't nearing their 30s that are sticking with the made up names with odd spellings for their kids....as far as I see.
edit on 24-9-2014 by fictitious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

There were 6 Jennifer's in my elementary school. There are 3 nicknames for Jennifer: Jenny, Jenna and Jen. The other 3 Jennifer's had their last initial added to their name, what a joke. I always ask my mom why she wasn't more creative!!

If I ever have children their names will not be on the top 10, that's for sure.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

I use to have 4 "Jolanda" in my class and 3 of them had last names starting with "B," so they were just called by their last name by everyone.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Jeezuz! What a bunch of monkies we are!
That's pretty pathetic.......Certainly would like to see this over the last century or so......
God are we that un original????yeeech!

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Gee. I am too old for that map.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Not surprised my name isn't on there, which is Jay.

..And no it's not short for Jason. I get that all the time.

-SAP-

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
When a call center in India phones you they seems to go all biblical on you ,Mathew ,mark ,luke ,and John have all phoned me asking if i want to upgrade

God bless them

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
What no BUBBA?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: SloAnPainful

Not surprised my name isn't on there, which is Jay.

..And no it's not short for Jason. I get that all the time.

-SAP-

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer tries to find out what the J. in his name Homer J. Simpson stands for.
In the end he discovers it simply stands for Jay

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
What no BUBBA?

HE'S BEHIND YOU

well it is getting near panto season but i would not tell Bubba about xmas stockings

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

Fatima however, does not rank as high as Aisha and it's various forms (the name of Muhammad's favorite wife). But Aisha does not come near the popularity of Muhammad in western countries.

I like Aisha, it rolls off the tongue nicely. We actually considered it for both our girls. We ended up going with more traditional girl names. One was given a family surname for her middle, and my husband insisted on my middle for the other, claiming he liked it because it's traditional (Elizabeth) and sounds really classy with her given name. I still have naming regrets -- it drives me nuts, I dislike naming kids after the parents, even just middle names. Aisha was a leading contender for her middle name at the time, but whatever, can't do anything about it now unless I want to shell out $$ to legally change it. And I'm not THAT put off by it.

I have an 80's fad name, and grew up being one of at least 3 others by the same name in class. One year, there was 5 of us. Yeesh, it got old going by our surnames in school to differentiate between us.
edit on 9/24/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join