It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World leaders to gather at U.N. in shadow of Islamic State, Ebola crises

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

"The world is facing multiple crises," Ban told reporters.

"All have featured atrocious attacks on civilians, including children," he said. "All have dangerous sectarian, ethnic or tribal dimensions. And many have seen sharp divisions within the international community itself over the response."

Between the war in Ukraine, the Islamic State as well as the spread of the disease Ebola we are facing many difficulties today. On Wednesday of this week world leaders are gathering to discuss these issues and more over the course of 5 days.

On Wednesday, Obama will chair a rare summit meeting of the U.N. Security Council on the problem of foreign fighters. He last chaired a council summit in 2009 on eradicating nuclear weapons.

At Wednesday's meeting, the council plans to adopt a resolution demanding countries "prevent and suppress" recruitment and travel of foreign fighters to join extremist militant groups like IS by ensuring it is a serious criminal offense under domestic laws. Foreign fighters in IS are believed to be the group's cruelest.

This brings a bit of hope for those who are hopeful about seeing the flow of foreign fighters stop and some comprehensive plans on punishments for men who attempt to join, or have joined and want to come back.

At current moment there is somewhere between 12 - 18,000 fighters from western countries fighting with either al-Qaeda or ISIS in Iraq and Syria; this is a lot of our people and represents a challenge as to what our role needs to be in providing a serious deterrent to these men and/or women.

It's good to see this being addressed.

What is your hope for this UN meeting? What would you like to see accomplished from our leaders?

Source: Reuters

edit on 21-9-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
What is your hope for this UN meeting? What would you like to see accomplished from our leaders?

I hope that, during their after hour black mass, the Rockefeller lich has a stroke; messes up his incantation; lets the demon through the portal and it subsequently drags them all to the 9th hell.

I suppose thats a more realistic hope then them taking any real measures to fix the world's problems.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

On Wednesday, Obama will chair a rare summit meeting of the U.N. Security Council on the problem of foreign fighters. He last chaired a council summit in 2009 on eradicating nuclear weapons.

What?

Obama "chairing" a summit?

I hope he knows what he's talking about.

So far in His Presidency, he seems feeble and frail when anything important at all is involved.

I would hope the others take control and make some sense of these issues.

That's assuming any sense can be made in the first place.

And that assumes Obama won't deflect and go off on tangents.

Worse yet, Obama might use this as a campaign forum !!!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Certainly more than Obama will be there speaking. A lot of countries leaders will be speaking on their thoughts and possible solutions to the problem we face here.

This is far from being about 1 man.

I'm sure Obama will try to use some part of this to improve his "image" but I am still being hopeful that the leaders who show up speak on their thoughts on solving the issues and work toward that end.
edit on 21-9-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The UN is an abysmal failure!

The mass starvation, oppression, disease, genocides and wars ARE NOT BEING addressed by the UN…

They always come when its too late and then they apologize as Clinton did when he AND THE UN refused to stop the Rwanda genocide when they could have easily done that and prevented the slaughter of almost 1 million Africans.

If any body is jayvee it’s the UN

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

I agree.

But I suspect the agendas and actions are already agreed upon.

The ones doing the "talking" are unfortunately just the visible puppets.

Meetings like this are all too often just focusing on getting the details straight, and according to "plan".

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
What this sorry organization should do is form a 100,000 genocide stopping force made up of crack troops from all the participants….And start with stopping the war in Syria( a peace keeping force) and taking out ISIS…

But the good ol US would be the first to stop this since they have sinister geo political scams going in these tragic events and only God knows what the are doing behind the scenes in this Ebola disaster…

A massive effort of billions of dollars should be set up and an infrastructure of doctors from all over the world to fight Ebola and rid Africa, that poor continent, of this horrible disease.

For people who don’t want to do that well then you may regret it when this disease gets over here.

Selfishness and greed will be the destruction of this world if people don’t wake up

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

The mass starvation, oppression, disease, genocides and wars ARE NOT BEING addressed by the UN…

It seems.Tthink they will address the one the US just rekindled in Iraq?

This time the US didn't seek a UN mandate or even bring it up. They just started bombing that country (again) for the umpteenth time.

And they invoke ISiS in Syria as the excuse they are planning to violate another nations sovereignty and begin bombing there, too.

The UN Security Council has the actual say on whats what around the world, the last time Syria came up the US mandate was vetoed three times. Now the US plans to go ahead anyway because of another "bunch of rebels".

I bet that subject comes up, too.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The thing is, they were all scheduled to meet now at the UN because right now is the UN General Assembly, a annual meeting of global leaders at the UN...

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

"The world is facing multiple crises," Ban told reporters.

"All have featured atrocious attacks on civilians, including children," he said. "All have dangerous sectarian, ethnic or tribal dimensions. And many have seen sharp divisions within the international community itself over the response."

Between the war in Ukraine, the Islamic State as well as the spread of the disease Ebola we are facing many difficulties today. On Wednesday of this week world leaders are gathering to discuss these issues and more over the course of 5 days.

At Wednesday's meeting, the council plans to adopt a resolution demanding countries "prevent and suppress" recruitment and travel of foreign fighters to join extremist militant groups like IS by ensuring it is a serious criminal offense under domestic laws. Foreign fighters in IS are believed to be the group's cruelest.

This brings a bit of hope for those who are hopeful about seeing the flow of foreign fighters stop and some comprehensive plans on punishments for men who attempt to join, or have joined and want to come back.

At current moment there is somewhere between 12 - 18,000 fighters from western countries fighting with either al-Qaeda or ISIS in Iraq and Syria; this is a lot of our people and represents a challenge as to what our role needs to be in providing a serious deterrent to these men and/or women.

It's good to see this being addressed.

Source: Reuters

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

This is what they want, for us to trust in the U.N. Yet again, the world is being intimidated into Globalism.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Personally, I think that once they all enter the UN, we seal the doors shut and gather some actual smart people to solve these issues.

Allowing politicians to make these decisions will just end in disaster.

My humble opinion only.

We're doomed.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Now THAT is a wonderful idea!

All I know is that right now.. we do need some problem solving going on and I think they better get started on it before every single last one of us decides they don't need to hold those positions.

Talk doesn't cut it anymore, real action and real problem solving needs to take place.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Iraq is halting much of the bombing there right now. The new president of Iraq has refused to allow any bombing on ISIS in places where there are civilians. Which is basically saying no more bombing ISIS. People are very very angry about that and it's one of the things being spoken of a lot right now on shia sites.

I say all this to say - whatever bombing that the US is doing, is very limited and has been requested by the citizenry to date. So long as it's not trying to take over the country, but rather just help them in their fight, its wanted. At least in Iraq.

Now, why people are saying no bombing of Syria, is because neither Syria nor the people there want it. This is part of what makes Syria a different story concerning the bombing. The other part is that no one trusts the US to not use this as an excuse to take out Assad - ISIS there is part of that story, and no one thinks they should be able to use their plan to do what they want in Syria. Besides, they are doing a fairly decent job holding their own in Syria against ISIS.
edit on 22-9-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Iraq is halting much of the bombing there right now. The new president of Iraq has refused to allow any bombing on ISIS in places where there are civilians. Which is basically saying no more bombing ISIS. People are very very angry about that and it's one of the things being spoken of a lot right now on shia sites.

I got no evidence either way what bombs on ground are landing on. Pipe dream though, to think the US is going to stop bombing anywhere because that country "wants them to".

The number of (bombings) i.e., sorties or "raids", is up to 160 now? If people only knew what that means as far as amount of ordnance (tons of explosive), number of planes, etc.

As an example I have used this before to show what that looks like. Here is one plane delivering its load upon one target in Afghanistan.

whatever bombing that the US is doing, is very limited and has been requested by the citizenry to date. So long as it's not trying to take over the country, but rather just help them in their fight, its wanted.

By citizens request, lol. "Wanted", by the US maybe…
edit on 22-9-2014 by intrptr because: additional

top topics

join