It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those pesky fake ‘Interceptor’ cellphone towers found near White House, Senate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
‘Interceptor’ cellphone towers found near White House, Senate

Mysterious “interceptor” cellphone towers that can listen in someone’s phone call despite not being part of any phone networks have turned up near the White House and Senate.

A company that specializes in selling secure mobile phones discovered the existence of several of the towers in and around the nation’s capitol.

For background information, see the thread Dozens of fake cell phone towers discovered eavesdropping on Android devices by Maxmars.

“It’s highly unlikely that federal law enforcement would be using mobile interceptors near the Senate,” ESD America CEO Les Goldsmith told the technology website Venture Beat on Thursday.
“My suspicion is that it is a foreign entity,” he told Venture Beat.

The reason Mr. Goldsmith doesn’t suspect U.S. agencies of placing the interceptors is that the federal government already has the capability of tapping directly into the carriers.

Yes, it could be a foreign entity, or a well funded criminal/hacker enterprise/organization.

Now, as it being "unlikely that it is federal law enforcement" because "they have no need and can tap directly in" is true, I am nonetheless sceptical. If the NSA/CIA/FBI feared Congress would act and severely limit those abilities, these towers would be a mighty fine backup/work around. This and a foreign intelligence agency are the two most likely culprits in my mind.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I just dont see how our intelligence agencies would allow a foreign entity to install these.

Sounds like a load of b.s. to me.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Also,

Since the last report there has been no mention of taking these things Down..

Why is that?

Peace

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I think they belong to the government anyway, so what's the big difference?

How else would they have been installed covertly?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think a lot of the mis understood information comes from the unknown question to the correct agency. ie you have to ask the right, correctly worded question to the correct department or the answer will always be "we know nothing". This is the ultimate get out for any awkward question, whether it's about towers or ufo s.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

You and everyone else here didnt read very closely.

The devices, although often called a tower, can actually be as small as a suitcase, the website reported.

Something that size doesnt need to be "installed"

There are plenty of places something like that could be placed unnoticed. I do not really feel like its a government doing it. Part of me feels like it could be just individuals or a small group with a specific goal in mind which could be a positive or negative one.
edit on 18-9-2014 by Aural because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I think someone is trying to catch some leakers.

Or terrorists.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad
I just dont see how our intelligence agencies would allow a foreign entity to install these.

Sounds like a load of b.s. to me.

What's to stop them from installing themselves?

During the intelligence agency investigation that happened just recently it came to light that the alphabet agencies were hacking into computers on the hill and keeping tabs on certain senators and congressman, so it's not as though there isn't already a precedent of them spying on national leaders.
edit on 18-9-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I remember doing research on these things a while back, when I was wondering about phone hacking in general. In most instances these things are for boosting cell signals for who live well outside of town or just need a stronger signal, and they look basically like a router. At least the ones I've seen. But they could really be made in many different ways, and I don't know exactly what we're talking about here. Suffice it to say that phones inadvertently connect to these devices, because that is what a phone is supposed to do to establish a connection with another phone. So then the people who are utilizing these devices can then retrieve different types of data from the phone, including monitoring phone calls.

Now in my opinion I would not put it past certain US government organizations themselves, such as the NSA or CIA. Contrary to what some might believe, spying on the government by the government is nothing new, and there are many reasons for such intelligence practices, all centered around gathering information. I'm sure there are various groups who would love to know what the main politicians and their associates in Washington are talking about on their private and business lines. This information can be used in a variety of purposes, but I am willing to bet that the want of "compromising" information is part of the motivation. If you can catch a politician doing something they're not supposed to be doing, that politician either has to face the music by the interceptor going public, or they have to play ball. You can imagine how useful this would be if you are an immoral agency like the NSA, CIA, FBI, etc...Probably not the FBI, but rather an intelligence agency, whereas the FBI is more of a law enforcement agency on a national level. For the most party anyway.

Now the idea of a foreign government is also quite probable. The NSA can probably utilize their surveillance methods to monitor whomever they wish, so it is likely not them. The CIA could use various methods, including this method, and are therfore more likely than the NSA, but a foreign government is just as likely if not moreso. There are countless countries with spies in America, the majority of them probably utilizing official cover at their particular embassy. I don't know if it would be an official cover agent who would do something like this, probably not likely, but who knows how many non-offical cover operatives are in the US? Probably a lot from a variety of countries.

Those two explanations seem the most plausible to me, and seem more plausible than a criminal organization out to make a buck. If it were a criminal organization then I do not see doing this unless you have political motives, which is not very likely in my opinion. I mean if you want to bring heat on yourself then you can target members of the US political system, so it just seems unlikely that any criminal organization would be responsible. They're about money moreso than politics, and I can think of no organization who would need the types of information gained utilizing these methods. Could it be a terrorist organization? That is a possibility to be sure, but the types of information they would be interested in are not very likely to be intercepted with this method. So I still think this is a government operation, whether the US or a foreign government.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11
I'm with you. If they know they are there, regardless of the size, why isn't anyone removing them? Did they tell the general public where they are?
Can any joe shmoe just walk up and dismantle one? Who would do anything about it?

I say, if the government knows about them, and isn't touching them, they belong to them.
Seems simple?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I do not think they are operated by a foreign government, this is a little too blatant for that type of crowd.

My guess? Our government. A sort of back-up way of spying on us, and when caught, they can put the blame on someone else. "Oh no! How did those get there? Better take them down!" *moves them somewhere else and hides them better*

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I´m wondering if these towers may be "hardened" cell towers, immune to the effects of EMP. TPTB have their own encrypted command and control communication network ...and no, you can´t sign up.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JiggyPotamus
I remember doing research on these things a while back, when I was wondering about phone hacking in general. In most instances these things are for boosting cell signals for who live well outside of town or just need a stronger signal, and they look basically like a router. At least the ones I've seen. But they could really be made in many different ways, and I don't know exactly what we're talking about here. Suffice it to say that phones inadvertently connect to these devices, because that is what a phone is supposed to do to establish a connection with another phone. So then the people who are utilizing these devices can then retrieve different types of data from the phone, including monitoring phone calls.

Now in my opinion I would not put it past certain US government organizations themselves, such as the NSA or CIA. Contrary to what some might believe, spying on the government by the government is nothing new, and there are many reasons for such intelligence practices, all centered around gathering information. I'm sure there are various groups who would love to know what the main politicians and their associates in Washington are talking about on their private and business lines. This information can be used in a variety of purposes, but I am willing to bet that the want of "compromising" information is part of the motivation. If you can catch a politician doing something they're not supposed to be doing, that politician either has to face the music by the interceptor going public, or they have to play ball. You can imagine how useful this would be if you are an immoral agency like the NSA, CIA, FBI, etc...Probably not the FBI, but rather an intelligence agency, whereas the FBI is more of a law enforcement agency on a national level. For the most party anyway.

Now the idea of a foreign government is also quite probable. The NSA can probably utilize their surveillance methods to monitor whomever they wish, so it is likely not them. The CIA could use various methods, including this method, and are therfore more likely than the NSA, but a foreign government is just as likely if not moreso. There are countless countries with spies in America, the majority of them probably utilizing official cover at their particular embassy. I don't know if it would be an official cover agent who would do something like this, probably not likely, but who knows how many non-offical cover operatives are in the US? Probably a lot from a variety of countries.

Those two explanations seem the most plausible to me, and seem more plausible than a criminal organization out to make a buck. If it were a criminal organization then I do not see doing this unless you have political motives, which is not very likely in my opinion. I mean if you want to bring heat on yourself then you can target members of the US political system, so it just seems unlikely that any criminal organization would be responsible. They're about money moreso than politics, and I can think of no organization who would need the types of information gained utilizing these methods. Could it be a terrorist organization? That is a possibility to be sure, but the types of information they would be interested in are not very likely to be intercepted with this method. So I still think this is a government operation, whether the US or a foreign government.

I agree with every word spoken here. Great reply.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: jude11
I'm with you. If they know they are there, regardless of the size, why isn't anyone removing them? Did they tell the general public where they are?
Can any joe shmoe just walk up and dismantle one? Who would do anything about it?

I say, if the government knows about them, and isn't touching them, they belong to them.
Seems simple?

This is pretty much my thought in a nutshell.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spruce
I think they belong to the government anyway, so what's the big difference?

How else would they have been installed covertly?

Yea well hell we don't see the FCC tripping all over its self over these. They must be legal then! Hay maybe they are tesla weapons made up as phone towers! Anyway I am going to the Zoo tomorrow and I will ask when I get over to the ape house.

top topics

join