It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

43 Israeli intelligence reservists vow to stop spying on Palestinians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   

The letter to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was signed by 43 reservists, of whom 10 are officers, from the 8200 signal intelligence unit of the Israel Defense Forces’ intelligence corps.

“The intelligence gathered harms innocents and is used for political persecution and for invading most areas of Palestinians’ lives,” the 43 reservists wrote. “Our conscious no longer permits us to serve this system.”

43 Israeli intelligence reservists vow to stop spying on Palestinians

As someone who has followed the conflict I can't say I'm really surprised, I mean even soldiers must question themselves when those above are yelling "self-defense" while ordering them to kill women & kids or as Israeli leaders call it "mowing the lawn".

Additionally:

One of the cosignatories, a reserves captain who was not named, said in an interview with Army Radio that when he was enlisted into the 8200 unit over a decade ago, he did so “knowing I would be carrying out important work in defense of Israel. Today we realize the situation is different, and that the unit’s central task is not defense but ruling another people” by “dividing Palestinian society and weakening Palestinian politics.”

Spoken as it really is, Israel have been cutting Gaza from the West Bank for years to cause more division via various pre-texts:

Operations Cast Lead and Pillar of Defense
Israel soon had a pretext for violating the November Agreement more severely. In January 2006, the Palestinians committed a serious crime. They voted "the wrong way" in carefully monitored free elections, placing the parliament in the hands of Hamas. Israel and the United States immediately imposed harsh sanctions, telling the world very clearly what they mean by "democracy promotion." Europe, to its shame, went along as well.

chomsky.info...

I find it incredible that even the most staunch supporter of Israel could still believe that the conflict with Palestinians was ever about "self-defense".
edit on -180002014-09-12T06:31:36-05:000000003630201436092014Fri, 12 Sep 2014 06:31:36 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
So Israel is backing off in some small way from "spying" on Gazans and the West Bankians?

Wow, gee, impressed… not.

Maybe they just don't need them anymore due to ever advancing surveillance technology.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
So Israel is backing off in some small way from "spying" on Gazans and the West Bankians?

Wow, gee, impressed… not.

Maybe they just don't need them anymore due to ever advancing surveillance technology.

Amazing you can read, impressed... not

I'll quote again:

“The intelligence gathered harms innocents and is used for political persecution and for invading most areas of Palestinians’ lives,” the 43 reservists wrote. “Our conscious no longer permits us to serve this system.”

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
One word and only one and i know darned well that this is not allowed:

PROPAGANDA...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

I'll quote again:

Quote away.

Sorry, nobody believes Israel anymore.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

I'll quote again:

Quote away.

Those Israeli troops certainly don't

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

I'll quote again:

Quote away.

Those Israeli troops certainly don't

Okay, Touche.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
But the other 8,157 will continue.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Never trust the words of an Israeli. No amount of PR can salvage their reputation; no amount of verbal assault or guilt-tripping will rally anyone to their defense. Their whole mindset is "We reserve the right as the "chosen" to change our minds and break our promises at anytime and if you take issue your an antisemite". They are as much fanatical megalomaniacs as their so-called enemies and always have been.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I have zero respect for the sad state of isreal, zero respect at all. That said I have been hoping forever now, that the actual isreali people will wake the # up and see they are being used as pawns and get rid of their psychotic government. Sure there are some real scumbags living in isreal, but I just can't fathom that the racist scumbags are a vast majority.

Who knows, maybe these guys will start the snowball rolling down the hill that will become the isreali spring.
edit on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 08:08:35 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Imagine the guts it took to write that letter. Imagine the inner conflict raging between their hearts and minds that have been subject to the most intensive indoctrination on the planet.

The fact that their hearts won out is a big deal and cause for celebration. We as a species are coming to a turning point.

We are truly witnessing a global awakening. I am certain things will continue to speed up towards peace.

The dark side has lost control of instilling hatred in our hearts. There will be no WWIII, no armegedon.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I agree with Serrated Soul...
This sounds like PR...

& propaganda...imo...

Good for them, initially, they should join Breaking The Silence Organisation!!!

Surely the intelligence committee of Israel will find away to bury this story and come up with a conflicting narrative that makes them sound like traitors!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
I missed that one, good stuff.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: SerratedSoul
Never trust the words of an Israeli. No amount of PR can salvage their reputation; no amount of verbal assault or guilt-tripping will rally anyone to their defense. Their whole mindset is "We reserve the right as the "chosen" to change our minds and break our promises at anytime and if you take issue your an antisemite". They are as much fanatical megalomaniacs as their so-called enemies and always have been.

The sad part is that Israel could go around putting babies on spikes and America would still support them. When you have the people like Pastor John Hagee who if he had his way would turn control of America to Israel are part of a group pastors that run mega churches and Evangelical Christians that twist their faith to get people to support the state of Israel. Also you have AIPAC that practically controls our foreign policy and owns many politicians also guarantees support for Israel regardless of what the people say.
edit on 12-9-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Self hated jews..??
Second line…

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
An update on the army unit in question:

Unit 8200, with which the ex-soldier who gave this testimony did his army service, is not just any unit in the Israeli army. Originally a unit responsible for collecting signal intelligence, it has become the largest unit in the Israeli army, and probably its most prestigious one. It is alleged to have capabilities to monitor every phone call or transmission or electronic data in any spot in the Middle East (and maybe beyond), to store this huge bulk of information and process it in an extremely sophisticated way so it can be used for precise military actions, from hitting a secret nuclear site in Syria to targeted killings in Gaza.

And a bit about what they do:

"If you're homosexual and know someone who knows a wanted person, Israel will make your life miserable. If you need emergency medical treatment in Israel, the West Bank or abroad - we will search for you. The state of Israel will allow you to die before we let you leave for treatment without giving information on your wanted cousin. If you interest unit 8200 and don’t have anything to do with any hostile activity, you’re [still] an objective."

www.middleeasteye.net...

It should be interesting to see exactly the effect that this story has

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Another update on this and the IDF has responded with:

The soldiers and commanders signatory to the letter have used the army to express a political stance, Almoz said, adding: "There is no place for refusal in the IDF. There are arguments and there are political stances. Celebration of democracy…. What happened here, in my eyes? Exploitation of military service to express a political stance."

www.haaretz.com...

My interpretation of Israels "celebration of democracy", fight for us and if need be die for us and do not question the things we tell you... even if the war you're fighting isn't exactly what we say it is.

I suppose that could apply to many armies around the globe but Israel just seem to be so blatanly in denial of the atrocities they've committed and the affect it is having on those at the front lines.

new topics

top topics

join