It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will Americans call the 'British Open' if Scotland votes 'Yes"? (EDIT: Duh!)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
In America they call The Open, golf's greatest event, the 'British Open'. Since three of the next four Open Championships will be played in Scotland (it will be held at the Old Course at St. Andrews in 2015), if the Scots vote to go it alone what will the Americans then call The Open Championship? A legit question, as I'd say most of them don't even know now that they are using something other than its real name, let alone if they have to rock their world to get their heads around it (or to mix further metaphors, to take a new name for a spin).
edit on 11-9-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Probably the same thing, as the "British Open" owns the naming rights to said tourney for several more years.

Unless they breach the contract and pay millions of dollars.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The bagpipe open?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I would still call it what it, and any game of golf has always been.

A bloody efficient way of ruining a perfectly decent stroll in the countryside.

Sorry, I just cannot believe this question has even been asked, while one of the most heartbreaking scenarios that one could ever have envisioned for the British Isles, her division, by her own fledglings no less, is potentially unfolding before our eyes.

I know no offence was meant by this thread, but this is an emotive subject for me, and many other British people, none of whom actually get to have a voice in the decapitation of the Kingdom that birthed them.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I agree that it is very emotional. So if I rubbed salt in the newly open wound, my apology. Just a question I thought of when looking up where The Open will be held next year, and realizing it was back in Scotland. For the rest of the world it will still be The Open, I think that it's only Americans who call it the British Open.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I think we are all a little to busy trying to figure out how our economy will work, how we will defend ourselves, what it will mean for our jobs and so on rather than what Americans will have to call our Golfing tournaments.

Really not something that is pertinent to the debate.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Scotland is part of The British Isles, so why would they need to change the name ?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Scotland will still be a part of Britain, it's the United Kingdom they might be leaving (despite still keeping the Queen)..

So no need to change anything.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Scotland is part of The British Isles, so why would they need to change the name ?

Just showing my ignorance out loud. I was thinking of 'Great Britain' and not the isles in total. Next thread please....

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
A more serious question. Why does America call their football The World Series but only American teams play?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Great Britain is the main island....including Scotland.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

Great Britain is the main island....including Scotland.

Hiding under the covers now. Let me know when the laughing stops and the fingers point at something else.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Lol, wasn't trying to be funny with you, if you don't know, you don't know.

A lot of people still think the UK is England with some bits of land superglued onto the edges.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
Um., isn't the world series baseball? And we do play against Canada, LOL (well, if they make it that far)

And I will still call the British Open what it is to me.

Boring.
I just cannot stand golf.

edit on 11-9-2014 by chiefsmom because: clarify

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I would still call it what it, and any game of golf has always been.

A bloody efficient way of ruining a perfectly decent stroll in the countryside.

Sorry, I just cannot believe this question has even been asked, while one of the most heartbreaking scenarios that one could ever have envisioned for the British Isles, her division, by her own fledglings no less, is potentially unfolding before our eyes.

I know no offence was meant by this thread, but this is an emotive subject for me, and many other British people, none of whom actually get to have a voice in the decapitation of the Kingdom that birthed them.

Here^squared Brit. Possibly recurring nightmares unless volunteerin' to therapy.
Anyone even on the TV to witness a Grand Slam alumnus reduced to almost
tears (or more) for an extended stay in the dreaded Car Bunker: would call
the tournament more than that which would deserve a permanent ban.

I personally believe it's rude to call something older than one's country
anything but to leave it be. You fellows should call it anything you like.
I'm here to listen to that screaming from the Silver Shadow grave... poor devil.
edit on 11-9-2014 by derfreebie because: When I snap my fingers Gary you'll dislike black in the summer.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

No, that's why it's so stupid. I do know, I was thinking of 'Great Britain' when I posted the thread. If a mod would be good enough to ashbin the thread, that would be nice. Pretty please with high tea (all kinds) on top.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Don't have to say what others have already done

Btw OP was a good question you got your answer and handled it like a gentleman with the replies

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
If it is played in an independent Scotland, might I suggest "The Haggis Hackers' Open?"

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Done some thinking on this.

How about to confused everyone we insist on calling it "the Galactic North Korean Dwarf Jousting Open"
edit on 11-9-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Well I was under the impression that golf originated in Scotland.

So why not..

"The Original Classic"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join