It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Change YOUR Gmail password now! 5 million account details hacked --again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
just throwing this into the ring guys and girls as i nevver saw it on the board's tonight

Hackers exposed nearly 5 million Gmail account details and passwords on Bitcoin Security – a popular Russian website devoted to cryptocurrency
The leak became known after a user posted a link to the log-in credentials on Reddit frequented by hackers, professional and aspiring
The account holders are mostly English, Russian, and Spanish and 60 percent of accounts were active
A Google spokesman said many of the passwords in question were likely taken from a website other than Google

The passwords not only give access to Gmail, but other Google services such as Drive and the mobile payment system Google Wallet.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

good luck now i need some sleep

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

Thanks for the heads up.
I just changed it.
Whew... maybe dodged a bullet. Ya just never know, eh?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Thanks much Changed, for those looking for a impressive password strength try this method.

Think of phrase that you will always remember, for an example the phrase might be "My Mother was Born OCtober 1959 after 7 Hours Of Intense Labor" Now take your easily remembered phrase and pick out the first letter or 2 of each word in the phrase to make a seemingly completely random password. My password would "MMwBOC59A7Hoii".Being a computer consultant with tons of different log in credentials this keeps my passwords at least more difficult to crack with a "brute force" password cracker as there are no coherent words for it to try.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it. I'm not all that concerned about changing my password, though . If anyone gets into my email all they will find is something from TV Guide and an overdue light bill notice . And all that's in my Google Wallet are Google moths. But thanks, anyway

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I can't keep up with so many password changes. I'm sick of this stuff happening constantly. I don't really use google for much at all but this gets old. Those mnemonic passwords mentioned above are too complex for me to remember usually. Certainly not a different one for every site on the web. I'm thankful when Safari offers to remember a password for me, but usually I'm on my own. I do my best but I'm sure it isn't good enough. Nothing ever is. Every other week something seems to be leaked, hacked or cracked. Remember heart bleed ? Whatever became of that? It was hyped for a week and nothing. Security is a big deal but I'm saying this is excessive lately.

Sorry I'm just in a complainy mood and have much on my mind and hearing people freak out about google passwords is annoying when i have fifty other things on my mind. Don't need that to add to it.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it. I'm not all that concerned about changing my password, though . If anyone gets into my email all they will find is something from TV Guide and an overdue light bill notice . And all that's in my Google Wallet are Google moths. But thanks, anyway

what no naked pictures or sex tapes if they hack my account a sight will meet their eye's they will never forget

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: rbkruspe

i am the same with passwords they are hard to remember if you are not using them regularly , i have this one [free] it is great one password for all

lastpass.com... hope it help's

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I read about this earlier... I think Google will be emailing all Gmail accounts with a link to see if your email was on that posted list.
I've yet to receive an email from them. Did anyone else get an email from Google yet?

And I too hate having 3+ different passwords for different sites.
Lately what I've done is write them down but only with hints.. not completely.

For example, if my password is: ats2014.pw ... on a post-it I will write that my ATS password is: a__2___.p__
I've had much luck with that.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: UseHerName

Try lasspass as i quoted above i love it for all the stuff i have to remember 15+ password's these day's [ get the free version ]

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

I'll check it out.
Thanks.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
THanks for the heads up did already. Good ole gmail!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Check if your account was in the list here: securityalert.knowem.com...

Between the wife and I we've got four and none of them were on the list. I suspect they're just username/password combinations from other sites that happened to use GoogleApps for authentication.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordGoofus

Between the wife and I we've got four and none of them were on the list. I suspect they're just username/password combinations from other sites that happened to use GoogleApps for authentication.

:up thank you for adding to thread

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordGoofus

these checker tools dont seem to work,

i tried inputting emails that came from the actual leaked list into the checker tools and the responses are always "email is safe, was not leaked" which is obviously incorrect, tried this with securityalert.knowem.com... also tried isleaked.com... and also tried haveibeenpwned.com...

need a control in any test right? so used known compromised accounts as the control, those three sites failed to report they had been leaked, useless sites.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5

i am the same with passwords they are hard to remember if you are not using them regularly , i have this one [free] it is great one password for all

You ever think about a little book or list within arm's reach that can hold your passwords'?
It doesn't make good sense to use only one unless unless it is a Google/etc.-connected place that has no bearing on your really sensitive personal data. Others that are highly personal such as where you have used a credit card or your place of banking needs individual passwords for each one.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
doesnt matter change it if you like,password crackers run through every possible combination any way,or sniff packets
going to a router,the internet is hackable deal with it,best advice create an alto ego and no internet banking ,buy from the net using a friends account and just give them cash and dont store personal files on pc connected to webb, dont whinge when your passwords get hacked this is the net and its unsafe, sorry but its the truth.........

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: rbkruspe
I can't keep up with so many password changes. I'm sick of this stuff happening constantly. I don't really use google for much at all but this gets old. Those mnemonic passwords mentioned above are too complex for me to remember usually. Certainly not a different one for every site on the web. I'm thankful when Safari offers to remember a password for me, but usually I'm on my own. I do my best but I'm sure it isn't good enough. Nothing ever is. Every other week something seems to be leaked, hacked or cracked. Remember heart bleed ? Whatever became of that? It was hyped for a week and nothing. Security is a big deal but I'm saying this is excessive lately.

Sorry I'm just in a complainy mood and have much on my mind and hearing people freak out about google passwords is annoying when i have fifty other things on my mind. Don't need that to add to it.

I make things a little easier by using modifications of my master password for different sights that way even if one is hacked the rest will still be secure. I also have keeper on my phone that uses a master password to save all of my passwords, but I usually only have to do that for obscure credentials that I only access less than once a month. Being in COMP TIA Certified in Security+ among other certs I tend to air on the side of caution especially when it comes to Client's Credentials and all the web sites I am admin' of.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: LordGoofus

Phew! Checked both gmails and seems they weren't on the list.

Thanks for the link.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: UseHerName
a reply to: LordGoofus

Phew! Checked both gmails and seems they weren't on the list.

Thanks for the link.

but even accounts that were hacked and are on the list, dont show as on the list per the site your referring to....

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

originally posted by: douglas5

You ever think about a little book or list within arm's reach that can hold your passwords'?
It doesn't make good sense to use only one unless unless it is a Google/etc.-connected place that has no bearing on your really sensitive personal data. Others that are highly personal such as where you have used a credit card or your place of banking needs individual passwords for each one.

I did have a little book but found it awkward for when i was out ,i do not use internet on my phone , i now have Lasspass on a usb stick and keep all my documents in it 32G it saves the paper trail for me and takes up no room in my keychain .

I have a virtual box ,yumi,etc loaded as i do not trust google with my data only buy from paypal and have a clean card just for this .

But it is getting annoying how often the big player's are getting hacked these days every time you log on to now you have to change passwords for a site ,and as you get older it is hard to remember all the details .so the little usb stick has been a god send to me

top topics

join