a reply to: DrumsRfun
everything I know about burgers:
- salt and pepper only. NOthing mixed into the meat, but salt and pepper applied evenly all the way from edge to edge.
- thin patties. Flavor comes with carmelization of the meat. A thinner patty will give you the chance for more surface area, and more char
- ground brisket is by far the best. Ground chuck is a moderately close second
My 2 best "upgrades" for you:
Melt a couple tbl of butter in a medium sauce pan. Add in 2 julienned onions. I run it through the mandoline slicer, then slice again to get
consistent cut. Sweat the onions, then add in 2 cups of a dry red wine. I typically have pinot noir on hand, and just use it. Simmer over med heat
until the liquid is reduced by 3/4. You really want to draw those flavors down.
while simmering, in a separate bowl add together 1/2 c of honey, and 1/2 c red wine vinegar. pop i the microwave for about 1 minute, or until it is
warm and you can easily whisk it together. Pour over the onion/wine reduction and continue to simmer. Zest a lemon into it, then juice the lemon
into it. Once it reduces to a thick, sticky consistency, turn off the heat and let it cool.
Serve on top of any sandwich item, or really anything.
My son named it when he was a kid. Its a multi step process.
1. Make teryaki glaze (whisk together 3/4 c soy sauce, 1/4 c hoisin, 1/2 c pineapple juice, 2 tbl sesame oil, 2 tbl fresh ginger). Set aside
2. Make wasabi mayo: equal parts wasabi and mayo. Set aside
3. Grill your burgers until nearly done. Each time you flip the burgers, add more teriyaki. I flip a few extra times to get the patty more sticky
4. While grilling the meat, grill thick slices of fresh pineapple. Just rub them with a bit of oil before grilling them, and use enough heat to make
5. Top the burgers with a pineapple slice, then apply a slice of a soft cheese. I use havarti usually, as its creamy and mild.
6. While the meat rests, toast the buns with a touch of butter
When we are "eating bad", this burger is always on the menu.
edit on 9/11/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)