It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Papua New Guinea's Tavurvur Volcano Eruption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I haven't seen this footage on ATS yet, but holy smokes... I haven't seen anything like this before either.

Quite a rare being at the right place at the right time footage which shows the volcano as it erupts, and the shock wave that follows.

Enjoy the show.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Great video!
Was that the clouds being blown away as well?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Shuye

that would be intense being there for that...nice one thx for sharing

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
Great video!
Was that the clouds being blown away as well?

I thought so too at first, but looking at the footage again at about 0:16 it seems that the ring caused by the shock wave starts just beyond the clouds at some points where the sky is clear, so it made me doubt these are really clouds.

Maybe someone who's more knowledgeable about it can share his view on this, I would be happy to read it as well.

edit on 6-9-2014 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
"HOLY SMOKIN' TOLEDOS!!!!"

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Shuye

Might be same as vapor cones that can be seen when aircraft approach supersonic speeds, water in the atmosphere condensing from the shock wave.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
That is the shockwave from the blast. It is a a pretty intense feeling. The first time we got to do some blasting was the best. I was a M113 squad driver, the team setup a Bangalore torpedo. After loading back in I drove around a 30ft wide 20ft high dirt berm. I sat and watched through the periscope. The blast went off and you could feel it then a wall of dirt came rolling over the berm shaking the entire APC.

This is the same thing you are seeing here first you hear and see the shock wave then shortly after you will feel it. The cloud forming is from the moisture an temp variance.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I thought it was cool how the clouds, the people and the water got the shock waves at different times.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure I would have an explosive eruption if I saw and heard that.

Excellent video!

The dome is from the shock-wave quickly compressing and decompressing the surrounding air.
edit on PMpAmerica/ChicagoFri, 12 Sep 2014 16:20:46 -050030uFri, 12 Sep 2014 16:20:46 -0500America/Chicago by Aperture because: forgot a word...

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Go to full screen and watch the big rocks hitting the water.

I bet the crew on that cargo ship were praying no big rocks hit them.

new topics

top topics

join