It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So how they defeated the E-cigarettes in the UK

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
As a smoker I have a keen interest in the development of E-cigarettes. However, this morning I have learnt form the news that E-cigarettes are only going to be manufactured and sold by the pharmaceutical companies at a price decided between them.

Now this is openly taking the pi55 here.

First, they ban the E-cigarettes in the work places, then the public places then placed in the4 same category as normal cigarettes. I mean really ? do you really want to smoke extremely over priced and labour heavy E-cigarettes in the freezing rain a mile away from your work place?

No thanks I would rather smoke normal cigarettes.
( Maybe this is what they want? )

edit on 5-9-2014 by Pandaram because: to add funny face.. i love funny faces..

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Pandaram

I happen to agree with them, Do you know what goes into them?.
I have tried four different oils and 3 of them gave me a tight chest the next day they were the cheap ones.
I agree they are miles better then fags but they could be putting allsorts in them and it needs to be done proper.
My place of work has banned them and rightly so I don't think they should ban them in public like in pubs and such but we need to be able to point the finger at someone If they harm us.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

I hate that. I really do. I have been smoke free for over a year because of ecigs. I would have never been able to quit without them. I was a 2 pack a day (sometimes more) smoker and quit cold turkey with ecigs.

I go along with the lines of maybe that is what they want myself. An ecigarette has almost 5,000 LESS chemicals than a regular cigarette and I don't care what book they read out of.... That has to be much better. My body says that it's much better. I have early onset COPD caused by a near deadly bout of pneumonia a few years back. I would have been on oxygen by the time I was 45 (if not by 40) had it not been for ecigs.

It's a sad day that the fight has been lost for you guys. Hopefully someone or something will come along and try to correct the mistake they made. The main two ingredients in ecigs are things people have been ingesting for decades upon decades. Only now are they finding fault with it.

Sometimes it does seem that they just want people to fail, be miserable, or stick to habits that will kill them before trying something new. They are trying (currently) to do the same thing here in the states the last I heard. The only hope you can have is that there will be some way to beat the system given time.

Making them an option that can only be had through a Dr. would put way too many people in the class with no access to it here. I hope it is different over there.
edit on 9/5/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Tobacco companies [ and their investors ] Do Not want competition and they have a LONG reach. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were behind this. They want to claim that Ecigs are bad for you, yet they haven't been around long enough to do proper testing. They want you to believe real ones are the same as eating a carrot.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I think possibly that the tight chest symptom maybe due to variations in E-cigarettes. I smoke Royals. I get a really tight chest if I smoke Marlborough or B&H.

E-cigarettes are not a bread and butter company. They are regulated and controlled company with decades of research behind them. Of course there is E-cigarettes made in Liberia but so this is the same as normal cigarettes. If you go to a shop and buy a reputable brand you will be alright

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

this morning I have learnt form the news that E-cigarettes are only going to be manufactured and sold by the pharmaceutical companies at a price decided between them.

Really ?
I'd like to see a link to that information.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
out of the frying pan and into the fire - seems like a apt phrase huh.

I bet the real company's own the e-cig anyway

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

it was on TV mate.. Google may help you out.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram

You made the claim it's up to you to provide the evidence to back it up , I think you misunderstood what was said.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Tobacco companies [ and their investors ] Do Not want competition and they have a LONG reach. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were behind this. They want to claim that Ecigs are bad for you, yet they haven't been around long enough to do proper testing. They want you to believe real ones are the same as eating a carrot.

I think you are probably right on the money with this. While not all ecigs are produced by big tobacco.... a lot of them are. I also think that a really big problem with ecigs, their spare parts, and the juice used in them are not currently taxed like the real thing. Something tells me that there wouldn't be a huge issue about this if that somehow changed overnight.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Have they actually banned them from the work place?

Because there is a guy in the office downstairs right now puffing on one. I'm pretty sure they are still legal everywhere

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
abcnews.go.com... -fla-mans-face/story?id=15645605

Will it stop the ecigs from exploding?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram

You provide the information, you provide a link to back it up.
The onus is on you
Telling someone to use google is not the way it works here

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Do you know what goes into them?.
I have tried four different oils and 3 of them gave me a tight chest the next day they were the cheap ones.

Because pharmaceutical companies are trustworthy? They needed a simple regulation that only food grade products be used for them, thats it. It's the unregulated industry standard as it is, and its the same thing pharm is going to do now they have control.

BS

Britain is a backwards nanny state. Banning them like cigarettes is declaring ignorance and stupidity. They aren't smoke. Given that it took 80 years to ban cigarettes it's unbelievable they can simply stroke a pen and ban vapour. I wonder if this means fog machines at night clubs are banned? Technically, that just happened.
edit on 5-9-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Considering that the campaign against e-cigarettes was conducted by the usual public health and anti-smoker charities - are you suggesting that these parties are actually in the employ of Big Tobacco?

Or - could you mean Big Pharma - who with 2 billion dollars worth of sales for their patches, lozenges, inhalers etc? The people who FUND the anti-smoker movement?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Considering that the campaign against e-cigarettes was conducted by the usual public health and anti-smoker charities - are you suggesting that these parties are actually in the employ of Big Tobacco?

Or - could you mean Big Pharma - who with 2 billion dollars worth of sales for their patches, lozenges, inhalers etc? The people who FUND the anti-smoker movement?

Tired of Control Freaks

I really wouldn't hesitate to pin a bit of it on both industries to be honest about it. Both have a ton to gain by keeping people addicted to regular cigarettes. Follow the greenbacks and we will likely find the culprits before long.

I'm not educated enough to know for a fact that ecigs have no drawbacks. On the contrary, I would be surprised if they didn't have one or two small ones. But those can't be anywhere near the 5,000 toxins, poisons, etc. that are deliberately added into analogs.

I know what you were getting at though so there's no need for me to preach to the choir so to speak.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Just wondering what costs more E cigs or cigarettes?

Its about selling you stuff you become addicted to. Alcohol, caffeine, sugar and yes, Evil nicotine.

Don't be dazzled by any thing "new".

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
By learning, reading and becoming a member of a forum, I have learned how to DIY every aspect of e-cigs. You can do this also. I smoked a pack and a half for fifty years and two years ago I tried my first e-cig. I have never picked up a cigarette since that day. I feel 100% better for doing so and my doctor agrees. She told me my lungs sounds much better, no rales.

In the States the Big Tobacco Companies are lobbying for the FDA to institute certificates of compliance for each separate juice. This cost quite a bit. It will kill the little guy so Big Tobacco can corner a hugely growing market, all to sell their expensive e-cigs. Njoy's cost $9 and last a day. You may as well keep smoking.

Learning to make your own juice at home and even make your own e-cig is easy and safe. There are some things that just can't be taken away with regulation and e-cigarettes are one of them.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Just wondering what costs more E cigs or cigarettes?

Its about selling you stuff you become addicted to. Alcohol, caffeine, sugar and yes, Evil nicotine.

Don't be dazzled by any thing "new".

I know you didn't direct that at me, so I hope you will not mind if I answer according to my own situation?

The expense of ecigs is what made me make the switch to begin with. I am saving at least $65 a week by not smoking regular cigarettes. As with anything... You can spend as much as you like because there is always something new, better, cooler, etc. out there to purchase. But if you don't get into that, you can save tons.

My number is also NOT including the fact that I did not need to refill my inhaler this year (which is over $100), I did not need antibiotics (cost for doctor visit and medication) for recurring bronchitis during allergy season, I did not need any allergy medication at all. I also take far fewer headache medications (Tylenol, Goody Powders) since I quit. So the savings expand beyond just the cost of cigarettes themselves.

edit on 9/5/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

I know you didn't direct that at me, so I hope you will not mind if I answer according to my own situation?

Not at all.

That was a really good list of excuses. I won't judge you for your "bad habits", I have too many of my own.

Thanks for the cost rundown. What are you spending the savings on?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join