It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So how they defeated the E-cigarettes in the UK

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

Like I said before and many many others have said its your choice just keep it out of my air.

Some may be safe but all the bad reports I read said that lower cost vape products cause the bad vapors.

I don't know a single person that makes sure to always use the best and more expensive products for anything. Let alone a habit.

From what I've seen is the e-cig community is just chock full of people who were fed a sales pitch that fit with the delusions they told themselves about their habit.

"You can still smoke but its safe safe and no one can complain. You can still be a stinky a$$hole and no one can tell you otherwise!"

I've done my research and it was pretty apparent that the ones that misunderstand are the people lining up in droves. I've been a salesman for a long time and I can see feature benefit coming from a mile away. That's what these companies are doing. Thy give you a feature that's different the smoking then blast on how its a benefit. Sales 101. Very effective too. Thing is these feature benefits probably don't help anyone in the long run except for the people tellin you to give them your money.

The science behind vaping is pretty sound and decently safe beyond the higher risk of lung infections from inhaling micro organic particles AND getting juices that are less then safe. That's the big one. All in all its another industry that someone is makin trillions off of so being cautious would be wise.

I spent less then 6 hours researching this topic one night a few months ago and it was very very in your face. Trust the data on pages that aren't trying to steer you towards a product or advertising. Il do some digging if I can get a few minutes today. There was a study done by a major university that was pretty appalling.

And like I said. Continue all you want puffing away. Hell get addicted to lead suppositories for I care just don't bring it into me and my kids environments. That's all.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I had smoked for 20 years, 1 pack a day before I starting with the vape pen and then now with the drip set up with the mod/atomizer.

I don't fool myself into thinking it's not bad for me, I'm inhaling a foreign substance into my lungs. I will tell you that I feel a TON better every morning since switching over in January. My breathing is better, I don't cough up phlegm every morning and my energy and skin look better.

Although most of the hardware is made in china and the phillipines, most shops carry a nice selection of juice made in the US and in california most of it is local. When I first starting "vaping" I was very concerned about what I was putting in my lungs and there is one company in particular here in So Cal that produces very clean juice with great flavors and in small numbered and singed batches that I do trust. No way I'd buy some weird juice from overseas. Again, I don't delude myself into thinking this is healthy....but it's a better alternative and I LOVED smoking and I really don't want to quit altogether.

As far as the government getting involved, I am fine if they ban imported juice and require domestic companies to play by a set of quality rules instead of the pirate setup that is currently going on. I am not OK if they add additional taxes to pay for the effects of smoke and related health care costs like they do with cigarettes, because this is a different product.

Ultimately, ecigs will put big tobacco out of business...I say that as someone who smoked. It's marginally better for you, you have a variety of tastes, doesn't make you smell and doesn't get ash all over your car. If you "Drip" then it is not cheaper. I was spending $40-50 a week on smokes before vaping, Since January I have bought 3 different Mods that have cost me $500 in total and I spend $30 a week on juice. Also, "Vaping" is becoming increasingly popular with people under 30...much more than cigarettes are at this point. In 10-15 years I think tobacco smoking will be a fringe thing, unless government and big tobacco get involved and squash it...which appears to be in the works.
edit on 6-9-2014 by Nowyouseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: Pandaram

I happen to agree with them, Do you know what goes into them?.
I have tried four different oils and 3 of them gave me a tight chest the next day they were the cheap ones.
I agree they are miles better then fags but they could be putting allsorts in them and it needs to be done proper.
My place of work has banned them and rightly so I don't think they should ban them in public like in pubs and such but we need to be able to point the finger at someone If they harm us.

Get a bottle of Glycerine from the chemist and refill them yourself , i do not trust the cheap ones that come from China , and since your self filled e-cig will not contain ANY nicotine you can give them the bird but you will still be blowing smoke .

Just get a re fillable head of a cheap one

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I respect a smokes right to smoke cigarettes, and even e-cigarettes.

Most of them, however, do not respect my right to not want to smoke their ciggy or e-cig with them.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: BridgebyaFountain
I hope you're exaggerating about having to be a mile away from your workplace to smoke a cigarette.

Sounds like you Brits are a lot more "free" than even we Americans are.

Yes, he is. I smoke right outside the front entrance to my workplace.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

this morning I have learnt form the news that E-cigarettes are only going to be manufactured and sold by the pharmaceutical companies at a price decided between them.

Really ?
I'd like to see a link to that information.

I think he has got the wrong end of the stick. I know they have said there needs to be some standards with the e-cigs and vaporisers, but as it stands there is no new legislation at all with regards to them.

I agree with them, you have no idea what is in the liquid as there are no industry standards - with unscrupulous criminal gangs or Chinese manufacturers, you might do yourself more harm if they decided to flood the market with cheap knock offs.

I have a vaporiser, although I haven't used it in a while. I left in the car for weeks and forgot about it! I haven't had any noticeable side affects from it, but then I have done the legwork and I use a reputable retailer. If I used it properly, it could easily stop me smoking fags and that has to be better.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
Are you buying the nicotine ones? I didn't. Just got flavoured like coffee or vanilla. Very light. No tightness, nobody offended by them. Mine don't have oils, they just come with filters you screw on, then you charge them or recharge. They better not be banning them in Canada.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
As to the pharmaceutical companies taking control over e-cigs - I'd say it has some benefits. Right now I don't know whether anyone controls what goes into these refills. On the other hand, the entire move seems like a blatant attempt at money grabbing to me. Having 4 MDs in close family, I sadly know full well what a joke modern pharmacy is. For me, it's more like somebody smelled money and decided to go there under a noble cause (we will protect you by controlling what's in these cigs!)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: BMorris
I respect a smokes right to smoke cigarettes, and even e-cigarettes.

Most of them, however, do not respect my right to not want to smoke their ciggy or e-cig with them.

The point here is that the anti-vape people, those who are outright banning it or like you saying "I don't want to smoke your ecig vape" say this WITHOUT any logical justification.

Show me the studies which show that toxins and pollutants are in e-cig VAPE, show me the studies how poisonous vape is. FACT is that vape is basically only that, vape (unlike smoke which is many harmful particles) from PEG and other substances which are, as far as we know, entirely safe. You're likely get MORE "poisonous" substances in your body from cooking or from entering a bathroom with a hot tub.

I am saying it out bluntly, for me it looks like that the vape bans are purely and solely because "vaping looks like smoking", so let's just ban it. You don't even have an interest to establish the safeness of vaping, and rather than realizing that vaping is indeed a way better alternative for those who smoke....you throw smoking and vaping into one pot and demonize both. (All claims about how harmful vape FOR YOU allegedly is are entirely made-up, until you can base your claims on ANY data, NOT on your subjective opinion.)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I will show you studies, when you can show me where I mentioned anything about toxins and pollutants.

You can't, because I didn't.

I would thank you not to put words into my mouth.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
There is no real evidence that vaping is dangerous but why should that be an issue when governments are looking at banning something. I am amazed sex is not outlawed here in the UK without a licence !

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Id like to start vaping again i miss nicotine.

When i was vaping the best place i found it was helpful to give me my nicotine boost, was the cinema. Ever sat through a 3 hour movie squirming in your seat for a cig?

With a vaper you totally can and its awesome.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

E-Smokes are a game changer! I won't get into the details of when I started smoking, or how long. But I can tell you about the figures and the money I am saving by changing over to Vape stick. I made a capital purchase of 120$ to get the Vape Stick, filters, heads, and the liquid. That lasted me 2 months. I spend now 15-25$ a month compared to 2 packs a day at 6$ each, 12$ a day. 28 day months, that was 336$!!! 4,300K a year just on smokes.. Crazy, I am so happy to have that money for other things than ASH.

I am discreet with my ecig. So I do not run into any issues personally. They are trying to make an issue of them here in the USA too. Big Tobacco is taking a big hit, and they want in on this. They are not going to let some of these private little time shops ruin their whole Cartel. Make no mistake, Big Tobacco is no different than many other private interest groups are Cartels masked as corporations.

I am happy I will be done with smoking once I go through the process of lowering my dose of nicotine. After all that is the physical withdrawals I face with not smoking, compounded with the mental addiction. But I will still smoke a cigar now and then.

There is a big shift happening with smoking. Id rather smoke 420, than smoke Big Tobacco products.
I am happy for my local cook. He makes all his own juices, they are very high quality safe stuff. You have to TRUST your chemist. If Big Tobacco get their hands on this, they will put the same additives they put into their other products! My chemist friend, adds nothing but flavoring elements, and nicotine MG, and elements they use for nebulizer products. Its a non harmful water vapor!

Last point I would like to make here is this. So many people bitch and moan about how bad 2nd hand smoke is. And those truth commercials, and smoke "truth" campaigns. They seem to totally ignore the real pollution all around them! Local industry plants, every local road that those same people drive around pumping crap out as 2nd hand toxins. What the hell people. Why pick on smokers, when they pollute your water supplies, Food sources, and the very air you breath! They claim 2nd hand smoke is so deadly.. That is spinning something so well to favor them.
To note-- As a smoker, I know smoke stinks, and it is not pleasant to the pallet when you are eating, I would always respect others and not smoke inside their homes, biz, and places we all eat. I thought that was fair.
But no you people want to treat us like the problem, when the real problem is all the other stuff they poison you with, and its not just physical poison, its mental poison too.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Just to clarify a bit here. (I analyse the e-cigarette industry for a living, but I don't work for any of the companies involved in selling or producing e-cigs.)

1. The UK government does not plan to force pharmaceutical licensing for e-cigs. Instead, it is pursuing a so-called "twin-track" approach.

Some e-cigs will continue to be sold as normal consumer products, pretty much as they are now, and won't need any special licensing (though obviously they will have to comply with normal safety laws etc., and come 2016 there will be some specific European-led laws on e-cigs that they need to observe, e.g. on the nicotine concentration).

Other e-cigs can be licensed as pharmaceuticals, if they pass stringent tests. These can also be sold anywhere (probably - it depends on the exact type of pharma licence issued) but, unlike the "normal consumer products", they may also be available through the NHS and its Stop Smoking services. The very first e-cig to obtain this kind of licence, Nicoventures' Voke, obtained it just this week and should be available next year.

So, in summary - some e-cigs continue as mainstream consumer products with much the same availability as tobacco cigs - others (probably many fewer brands) may be sold as pharmaceutical products.

Obviously, governments and policies can and do change, but that's how it looks for now, and there's no strong reason to believe it will change.

2. There is no public place or workplace ban on e-cigs in the UK and there are no current plans to impose one. HOWEVER, many premises owners and employers impose their ban (e.g. including railway companies, supermarkets and parts of the NHS).

It is also possible the World Health Organization (WHO) may recommend a ban on vaping in public places at a meeting next month, in which case there would be some pressure on the UK government to impose it - but no obligation.

So - no public place/workplace ban for now, but don't be surprised if one comes in (or if localised bans become more and more common).

HTH, as they say!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join