It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving God credit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
A pet peeve of mine is when humans do great things, like saving lives, but god gets the credit.

I've seen it before where surgeons save the life of a baby and the mother ends up thanking god for it.....

Today I saw Nancy Writebol, one of the Ebola survivors, thanking god. She was next to her husband, David, and this is what he said according to the nydailynews:

“We want to give God all the credit and all the glory for what’s happened,” David said.

I would only thank the scientists and doctors who created the cure and saved their lives. It was them who vigorously studied to become scientists, doctors and made an effort to create a cure for Ebola. But then god gets credit for it? I don't understand it.

If god was behind it then why didn't miss Writebol just pray to god instead of taking a cure?
Why didn't god prevent her from getting Ebola if he was going to cure her anyway?
Why didn't god cure the ones in Africa?
Why does god just exterminate Ebola from this planet?

It's just a pet peeve of mine when doctors save lives and god gets the credit.
edit on 3-9-2014 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: danielsil18

I just read a book by Victor Frankl called en.wikipedia.org...
Every person on their deathbed looks to God whether you believe in him or not.
Athiest with an open mind here so don't go off on me.

You can't ask God why...you only have to ask how much time is left?
Time is the blemish on the face of life so embrace the time and the life....don't sweat the small things.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Wow, you want to control how people think and act.
You want to dictate others lives.

I thank God for bad things as well, is that ok for you?

The simple fact is the Western world is built on the teachings of the bible.
crossandquill.com...

Thanking God for doctors, science and education isnt unreasonable, well to some.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Let's be honest here:

Nancy Writebol, 59, of Serving in Mission (SIM), said she is often asked what she thinks saved her life: the experimental drug ZMapp, the supportive care, the Liberian or U.S. medical staff or her faith.

“My answer to that question is all of the above,” she said, suggesting that God works in various ways.

They didn't ignore everyone and everything else that helped to bring about her recovery, so really, it seems you are just upset because they gave God some credit.
edit on 3-9-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I think it is because they believe that it is God who decided that they will receive a cure & live. They believe that God created everything so that means he created the people who came up with the cure.

It's like when celebs thank God when they win an award. God could have killed them off before they won the award but there is a higher plan going on.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
If God was such a great guy he wouldn't treat us so crappy, but you go ahead and keep thinking he's on our side.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

God could have killed them off before they won the award but there is a higher plan going on.

Please let God ruin Justin Beiber and Celine Dion and I will believe in that plan...so whats the plan again?
Staring at good looking morons?
There is your proof right there.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I don't let it upset me at all. But I do notice that God gets the credit for everything good, but bad things? Well, they're either Satan's fault or a a weakness or flaw in humans... Innocent dying children supposedly have nothing to do with God... That's evil. So, by definition, if it's good, it's God, if it's bad, it's not. Seems a strange position to me.

I don't find it too surprising that many (even atheists) on their deathbeds look to a "god". We've been conditioned since birth to think there's something 'out there' and on the off chance, I can understand turning to a higher power.

When I had cancer and thought I was going to die, I didn't turn to God. I didn't pray once. Medical science got me through it.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I give credit to god for some things. I am not religious, but I do believe there is something structuring life. I have seen a lot of weird things happen that science can't explain, I think there are possibly some beings that some refer to as angels. Just because we cannot see these beings does not mean they do not exist. What they are I don't know.

I believe in real science, but not the crap that is being steered so someone can profit or continue getting a big paycheck. Too much of that is happening today. Now I believe the collective consciousness of all life is a supreme being, something we are all part of. But remember, there are a lot of critters on this world that are so small we cannot see them. Add them all up and we are outnumbered a million to one. And that figure is considering all the cells in everyone's body as individuals. The number would be more like a hundred trillion to one if we didn't do that.

So what is god, a combined frequency that interacts with our DNA and can steer us to do things. If you go the other way you have chaos, something that science says we evolved from. I don't see much difference in science and religion myself. Believing is science is believing in consensus of the time and our present knowledge and understanding of things. In a hundred years that will all have changed. The more we learn the more we need to learn to make sense of things. So evidence is only real if applied appropriately and within the parameters of the research, it rarely explains everything. People mistakenly apply the research to things it does not apply to all the time.

I believe in a being created by all life that steers us in the appropriate direction if you pay attention. It does not go against religions, but my beliefs would probably not be accepted by most religions. How much possible power does this being have? Think about it, what is the total output of energy of all life on this earth. One bacteria can cause the death of an individual. A spider can bite you and cause you harm or death, but it can also bite you and heal your paralysis. What controls this matrix of life on earth.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

By the same token, I've noticed that when bad things happen, a lot of people get awful angry at God and then claim it means He must not exist. If He doesn't exist, then by what standard do you measure those "bad" things?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

I don't know what the plan is, I'm an Empirical Agnostic.

((btw: I created my first official thread for you. It is in the food forum))

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I find it funny as I watched the interview on that lying crock of shyte news channel today, CNN that I nearly was about to take time out to write the same thing you did.

She went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and then went on some more about how god saved her. Then it was the husbands turn and he went on and on and on and on and on..... about how reading scripture to her rid her of the illness and god intervened to save her life. By the end of the interview I was ready to throw a brick at my flat screen!

Now I am not condemning god or the psychological benefits of prayer and faith but it really was an insult to all the medical workers, technicians, nurses, etc. that worked round the clock to save this woman's life. In the end she did say 'thank you' to them all in ONE quick sentence with no mention of names.

As for my stance on this, as I am currently highly into the medias persuasive effects on OUR reality and I think this was a message. The message which isn't fully clear yet, IMO has something to do with the whole ISIL situation. Drums beating for catholics to watch the news and get more personally involved maybe. We will see. . .
edit on 9/3/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
If God was such a great guy he wouldn't treat us so crappy, but you go ahead and keep thinking he's on our side.

How is God the bad guy? Do you disagree with freewill? God doesn't make people greedy and have no concern for humanity. But that is one of the side effects of poor leadership and freewill.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 3-9-2014 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

Wow, you want to control how people think and act. You want to dictate others lives.

You are wrong.

I know it's their belief but it annoys me, that's all.

I never said anything about wanting them to stop, I just said I wouldn't do it.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They didn't ignore everyone and everything else that helped to bring about her recovery, so really, it seems you are just upset because they gave God some credit.

She did, but her husband said something else and I quoted him.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

They believe that God created everything so that means he created the people who came up with the cure.

That's a bit illogical in my view:

God creates Ebola then creates humans that create a cure.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I don't let it upset me at all.

I know it's illogical for me to get a bit upset about it but for some reason it gets to me.

Maybe I see it a bit unfair for the real heroes. I don't know.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

"Every person on their deathbed looks to God whether you believe in him or not.
Athiest with an open mind here so don't go off on me."

I believe that your assertion is completely false.
I believe that an atheist, as well as a fervent believer in God,
is tied to the strength of their convictions.

Perhaps you are one who believes that fantasy that Charles Darwin recanted his principles upon his death bed.

If you are truly an atheist, then are you so willing to jettison the core of your being?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Every person on their deathbed looks to God whether you believe in him or not.

I'll have to see for myself in my deathbed. Which I hope comes in a long time because this might be my only chance to live.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join