It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sloppy Joe Pie - One of Nenothtu's favorite meals!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Hello ATS'ers!

I thought I would show everyone how to make sloppy joe pie. It's easy, and yummy too. The perfect meal for when you don't have tons of time, and still want a nice looking - and tasting - meal.

For the pie crust:

You need a deep dish 9 inch pie pan (I use a glass pie pan but you can use metal also)
1 can of biscuits - regular Pillsbury biscuits (not the grands one's, the regular size one's)
1 egg (beaten and in a bowl)
small amount of milk (in another bowl)
corn meal (white or yellow either one, just whatever you happen to have on hand) - I put the corn meal on a dinner plate, you will need about a cup or so of corn meal

Flatten the biscuits with the palm of your hand, then dip into beaten egg and then coat with the corn meal (might want to flatten a bit more here) then dip into the milk and then back into the corn meal.

Repeat this procedure with each biscuit, and place one by one into your greased (I use Pam spray) deep dish pie pan and make into your crust. One can of biscuits makes your complete pie crust.

For the Filling:

Prepare your sloppy joe mix by browning 1-1/4 or a bit more of ground beef, drain, then add a can of Manwich (or your favorite kind) of sloppy joe mix and warm through on the stove.

Then place filling into the deep dish pie pan on top of the raw (uncooked) biscuit crust.

Put the pie into a pre-heated 350 degree F. Oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Then remove from oven and sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top and put into oven for another 5 or 10 minutes or until the cheese is melty... the crust will be done now - and your ready to serve.

You just cut it like pie, in divisions you wish... you can cut into 4 large or 8 regular pieces. Serve with a nice salad and vegetable of your choice ... I think corn goes wonderfully with this, but you can make any vegie you wish!

As you can see, this cuts beautifully, and makes a nice looking meal! (Nenothtu likes bigger pieces!
)

Easy and Yummy Too! The corn meal really adds a lot of excellent flavor in this dish! I Hope You Enjoy!

edit on 2-9-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Well I must say I always cringed when my mom had sloppy joe night as a kid but this looks good!

I would probably make my own biscuits and sloppy joe sauce. I think this is something my husband would like and I bet my son would eat it too. I like what you did with the biscuits. I never use corn meal unless it's to keep my bread from sticking when I make bread. Lol I might also add some onion and peppers to it.

Bookmarking this for dinner later this week. I'm in a casserole meal mood due to surgery. So anything that you can eat on for a few says is great!

Thanks for sharing. I'll let you know how it turns out and what I add to it.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing from you after you play with it!

ETA:

My kids always loved this. It was something I could count on them eating... lol. Which is a treat in and of itself. I used this recipe for those "I don't feel like cooking" nights, but you can make it as intricate and tasty and you please. It does make a wonderful meal, however you feel like preparing it!

I'm definitely excited to see what you do with it.
edit on 2-9-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

2 recipes on ATS in 1 day and both going on my grocery list!

Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: I was just thinking not only does the sloppy joe version sound good, but what about taco meat and when it is done dress it up with your favorite taco toppings?

Anyhow, just a thought to mix it up even more!

edit on 2-9-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Yea it's definitely a quick and easy meal! I have had sloppy joe made by a friend that I loved. She made her own sauce as well. I remember my mom making a comment how I wouldn't eat hers lol.

Do you like shepherds pie? I am making that probably tomorrow. I don't know why but this made me think of it. I haven't made it in a while but I wanted something different for a beef dish. Heck I may make your dish instead. I'll ask my husband tomorrow when he is awake which one he would prefer.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Sorry double post. Using iPhone and it's tricky to type on ATS.
edit on 9/2/2014 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I'm down like a tiny car carrying 13 hungry clowns!

Very nice presentation, too.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

That looks really yummy! I love your quick pie crust with the corn meal too. I'll bet it would make a good chicken pot pie crust too! (Thinking about mblahnikluver 's chicken, spinach and mushroom casserole, posted earlier)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   

I like Nenothtu, not sure about that smelly pie

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePublicEnemyNo1

Butbutbut... I smell EXACTLY like that pie now! What's more, it smells like ME - we are One, the pie and I! It oozes from my every pore, it haunts my nights, and dogs my days!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

Then.....I give that a
's up!

But, the pie still stinks my friend

I think you smell like roses though

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Okay, I'm going through the food threads for something warm and different for my husbands dinner this winter and found this. It looks like I could do it and it looks like something he'll like. I'm going to try serving it. (Wish I could eat it too, but it's not on my 'can eat' autoimmune list). Thanks for posting it.

top topics

join