It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 7/boot failure/new os install/ help?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

no, I bought and ran two 4 gig sticks in my laptop with-out problems for about 3 months. I took those sticks out and put them in the brand new laptop. (working fine) took the SINGLE 4 GIG STICK out of the brand new computer a put it in the computer that HAD 2 4gigs. Bios is reading the RAM correctly. as far as the comment about windows 64 bit needing more than 4 gigs of ram, then why did bot laptops come with 4 gigs brand new, while running 64 bit windows? anyway thanks again for all the assistance, I am still trying all the options you guys are giving me.... keep 'em coming

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: I1Am1Ready1Are1You

I would keep trying with the simple basic solutions. Does your BIOS read your hard drive is present? I've had issues before where my data on the hard drive was intact (and therefore readable) but there was a very corrupt portions of boot that prevented me from doing anything.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Did a very quick search and found this...

Acpi.sys blue screen errors can be caused by a variety of hardware, firmware, driver, or software issues. These could be related to either MSDN 2939 software or Microsoft hardware, but it is not necessarily the case. More specifically, these acpi.sys errors can be caused by: *list deleted as irrelevant* acpi.sys STOP error due to memory (RAM) corruption.

So I think that narrows it down nicely, now how to fix that is the difficult part.

BSOD error

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Thanks for posting what type of computer and RAM you have. Your laptop supports RAM up to 1333 MHz. The memory stick you bought is 1600 MHz. Although some BIOS's will automatically slow down the speed of the RAM sticks, others won't.

You should be able to tell within the BIOS if it slowed the RAM down to 1333 MHz or not. If not, you could manually slow the memory down yourself within the BIOS. I would suggest getting a RAM stick that is no faster than 1333 MHz so that that particular issue is taken out of the equation.

On a final note, if the RAM stick worked in an identical laptop, but it's not now, then it's also possible that the RAM stick has been damaged via electrostatic discharge. View the link below for more information on ESD precautions:

ESD Precautions

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

If I am reading you correctly you now have one 4 gig stick in the old computer that isn't booting...correct?

If that is the case did you try putting that stick in the other slot?

edit to add

Err... bonez has it. If your computer is trying to run that stick at 1600mhz instead 1333 mhz that would be an issue.
edit on 30-8-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel

Has it been updated recently? MS had an update where a lot of people got the BSOD: Micr osoft urges customers to uninstall 'Blue Screen of Death' update

Within hours of its release, however, users reported that MS14-045 had generated a Stop 0x50 error on some systems, mostly on Windows 7 PCs running the 64-bit version of the OS.

I believe the article should have links that lead you to possible solutions.

Also, time to switch to Linux

I agree this is most likely the surce of the OP's porblem.

This update K.O'd my lappy....45 minutes I sat in front of my pc willing it to start up before the blue screen of death appeared and decreed

"Windows will shut down to protect itself!"

When I tried a second time, I realised it would do the same thing again, so I did what you are not supposed to do...I yanked out the power cable!

Shhh, don't tell the I.T people.

When I trned it back on the puter gave me the option to go into safe mode which I did, activated system restore and took it back to before the update.

Hey presto, haven't had a problem since...although lappy has been a little more moody than ususal.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Yeah well screw you guys
it was the RAM... I know how... dumb this might seem because it was said through-out the thread that it had to be the RAM, I was just having trouble believing that it was going to be the case. Well thanks all for all the time you put in to my silly rookie error.......

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Glad you got it figured out.

Did you get it working?? If so what was the fix?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I switched the ram back to the original ram
sucks cause I wanted my $98.00 Crucial 2x 4 gig in my brand new computer.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Well think of it this way. If you had swapped your 1600mhz ram with 1333 mhz ram then you would have been downgrading your new laptop.

Hey don't feel bad I spent over $300 on ram for my PC and haven't got it to run right since although I have been lazy about trying to fix it. I am sure once I motivate myself that will be remedied.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Your hard drive may have crapped the bed...get a new harddrive and install windows 7 and slave ykur old hardrive if you need the data...you can pick up a decent harddrive for under a 100 bucks...

Best of luck my friend, hope its something simple...

edit on 30-8-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join