It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Search Engines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This is an ongoing difficultly I have and the leading reason my use for the internet is decreasing year by year, finding what I'm looking for.

Generally I use Duck-Duck Go, Dogpile and rarely Google and find them all wanting.

I wanted to do a post on Labor Day and wanted to do a little homework before hand. I tried all three of the above Search Engines and all (nearly all) responses to "Labor Day News" was listing of various Labor Day Sales and other clattrap.

I remember a time when a search engine was a search engine not an advertising channel either overtly or more subtly (SEO - Search Engine Optimization).

Heck, I'd be willing to pay for an old fashion Search Engine that used the old technologies that found content that you wanted. Mostly these days I have to rely on aggregate sites to find anything of interest and it's a long process.

On a subject such as "Labor" even my regular sites tend to stay away from any mention of the subject or the larger subject of capitalism as (in the US) both "right" and "left" have to subscribe to basic premise that capitalism is the only system that will work such as they "right" and "left" have to support Isreali Zionism.

Even going to the library and doing the reasearch requires technology controled search engines, I can't remember the last time I saw a card catalog.

I'm getting off topic.

My question is 1) Any good Search Engines out there? 2) any tricks for phasing searches?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Try Blekko

I agree with you 100%. I don't know if there are any real search engines out there anymore!

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Hi.

Startpage is my weapon of choice. It is keen on your privacy and offer very good results. And it is fast too.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I use Startpage which uses google for its searches or ixquick which uses something like bing and some other searches combined. I have adblockplus installed which removes the ad links. Also you can use a dash/minus sign before a word to exclude it from your searches so for example: laybor day -sale -buy -purchase. The same thing can be done in advanced search page.

Another thing you can do is change your browsers hidden configuations in about:chrome and turn off geolocation. This will prevent sites from automatically finding where you live which alters your results.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
use the search: labor day + news -sale

The below sites will guide you on how to phrase searches and use some commands to give you specific documents, dates, etc. But yes, do not use google, google bad, startpage good.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
sites.google.com...
sites.google.com...
sites.google.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Seems to me...you were searching for "news", and not Labor Day History...or Labor Day .origins etc.

You asked for "news" and got it...and "sales" is in that "news".

No matter which of all the search engines you used.....your responses were to your request. "Labor Day NEWS".

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Thank you for all the responses, I will utilise them all.

Because I wrote the post, it motivated me to search for what I wanted "non-comercial search engines" and I've found this list of search engines for students:

education-portal.com...

And back to the phasing - I wasn't really looking for news about labor day, I was looking for commentary (present day) on labor day or commentary (across political and economic spectrums) that used Labor Day as a jumping off point.

Again thanks.

top topics

join