It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radio Frequencies

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I doubt that it has anything to do with aliens or nuclear war, but the chatter sounds very coded.

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Before I get to the meat of my post: I am an Extra class amateur radio operator, and I have a GROL ( Genaral Radiotelephone Operators License ). FCC says I know what I'm talking about.

Your television is a Part 15 device. It complies with Title 47CFR Part 15. ( CFR: Code of Federal Regulations )This is a law that says, in essence:

1)Your gizmo is not allowed to interfere with other electronic devices regulated by other Parts of 47CFR. If your gizmo interferes with gizmos regulated by other Parts, you shut down.

2) Your gizmo must accept interference from other devices. A poor way of saying, if your gizmo picks up other signals, that is not the other guys fault. He does not have to shut down. Tough luck, Chuck.

Part 15 was passed to allow manufacturers to make inexpensive devices. If your TV was shielded against outside noise, it would have cost ~$1000 more than it did.

You have an inexpensive unshielded device near a powerful transmitter.

The signal is not likely to be Morse Code. Not used much anymore. Shipping firms use it - gives them a little privacy. Only other users are amateurs, who use it on a hobby basis.

Oversimplifying, more than somewhat: the military has many digital modes available. The sending unit sends a packet of data. Pauses while waiting for a confirmation from the other end: Received packet # X, containing Y bits, which add up to ZZZ. If the sender sees that the receiver got a proper packet, it sends the next packet. If the received packet doesn't match the sent packet, it resends the packet until the receiver gets it right.

The majority of modern communication is done this way.

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 11:40 AM
link   
No, it's not interfering with my radio, i'm PICKING IT UP. I would never even mention this to another outside party let alone ask somone to "shut down".

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Researcher,

Due to your HAM experience, what are the legalities in monitoring a digitally encoded/encrypted transmission, and more specifically, posting it on the web? (Especially if of military origins?)

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 04:59 PM
link   
"No, it's not interfering with my radio, i'm PICKING IT UP"

With your keen analytical mind, you should have no difficulty solving this problem.

Monitoring signals is not illegal. Except for cellphone signals.

Divulging the concepts of intercepted signals, other than those broadcasted on AM, FM and TV stations, is illegal. But rarely prosecuted. Communications Act of 1934 is the relevant statute.

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Not too sure if that was sarcasm or not, researcher, but whatever. i'm going to attempt to make a wav file of this, but you'll have to u2u me, definantly not sticking up on a post with my ip all over it

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 05:37 PM
link   
oh, by the way, i never claimed i had any knowledge in this field what so ever, all except that howard stern comes on at 6:00 in the morning and ron and fez come on at 7:00 in the evening, hence the original post. radio technology is not my forte.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 01:12 PM
link   
When I lived on Bitburg airbase in germany, sometimes radio broadcasts would get interupted by something that clicked and chattered. I was told it was more than likely coded radio transmissions from the nearby airfield that someone had not transmitted on the right frequncy. How far are you from an airbase?

Patriot missile units also communicate in coded transmission that only can be converted into intelligible transmissions with a special decoder, otherwise, anyone trying to eaves drop on battalion to battery communications will just get a chattery type of static.

You said youre near a base, thats supposed to be closed, are you sure than its not used by reservists or as a small training area?

If this base is totally abandoned as you say, then maybe there is something wierd going on. Stay away from it, no need to stick your neck out.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Now, I do remember back in the early 90s, I used to work in east KY and listen to an FM morning show out of Huntington Wva and would always here bleed over from Yeager airport in Charleston, Wva. It was usually nothing more than a few words and mostly unaudible but it does happen.

Researcher, I've been a Tech class since '98 so I would say you have more experience on the RTTY stuff than I. I remember the basic theory behind it from studying th text for the exam. I think Goregrinder is picking up some kind of data transmission in the mid 90s band of the FM band. I've heard a lot of what he describes on world band but not FM. Of course we're in the US and he's in the UK and apparently , he's restricted much more than we on what we receive.

Goregrinder, if you're still reading this post, and are that interested in it, you might invest in a multi-band radio and do some scanning on the SW bands and see if you can find anything that matches what you're hearing. Also, if your close to the seas, you might be hearing beacons for GPS navigation that commercial boats use to correct their positions real-time. This would be a data burst as well. Being, this phenom is only picked up at night, I'd say your hearing skip and likely this signal is originating really far from you as I described the ionization of the D-layer allows for this.

Researcher, does that sound plausible to you?

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 05:44 PM
link   
thanks astrocreep, the information and advice is well appreciated, i'm definantly going to look into it. tomorrow night, around one, i'm going to get this up online. as a side note, i don't know is you know anything about northern va, but there are definantly a host of "government agency" installations in my vicinity. i've decided to go ahead and get this out to the people that have actually taken interest in my posts. u2u me tuesday, and i'd be more than happy to talk to you about this.

oh yeah, i don't know if you were talking to me, ac, but i live in the good ol' U S of A.

[Edited on 1-6-2003 by goregrinder]

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 08:56 AM
link   
goregrinder, well if your in the US, don't sweat it. If they are being careless enough to let their secrets out on FM radio, its their problem. You are perfectly within your rights to listen and discuss it at the town square if you want. But if what I suspect is the case, its a data stream anyway and virtually useless unless you can decode it.

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 04:02 PM
link   
i was playing around on a toy radio and picked up something that wasn't radio is was some garble maybe code or those foreign speaking cab drivers

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I am looking into purchasing a ham radio and getting my license. Do you know like if there are any charges besides that of license and equipment. I mean like in the use of it. Oh yeah, about the message thing. Well I say that if the government is putting it on those frequencies than its probably nothing more than something about coffee and doughnuts.

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 01:11 PM
link   
iownabox, no, those are the only charges. Usually 6 dollars will pay for each test. You only need one to get your technician license and it doesn't cover morse code so don't sweat that. This license will give you privilidges on all local bands and 6 meters which will get ya some distance.

Here's a great link to take some practice exams and study the content..

www.aa9pw.com...

Any other info about where to take your test in your area and who to contact can be found through ARRL.

www.arrl.org...

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 03:19 PM
link   
heh...

One time my cousin and I were on his scanner listening to the Police and they came on...
Dispatch: Up at Terrace hills (address) we have a reported disturbance; indecent exposure, reported by the girlfriend.

we laughed our asses off for hours!

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 03:24 PM
link   
ha lol...
I bought a book with scanner frequencies two years ago...but at the time didn't had the money to buy a scanner
I still haven't got one...perhaps next year.

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I live on Andrews AFB. If you tell me the frequency I can listen and figure it out.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
wow this is really interesting , I am gonna read through a lot of older threads. Radio frequencies its interesting to know.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Once my car radio somehow picked up a police scanner frequency whatever. I was visiting a friend and when I got in my and turned it on to go home, at first all I got on the radio was whitenoise and static. That was odd because I had it on a very popular radio station when I turned my car off. I listened and after 30 seconds or so, I heard a mans voice say something I can't remember. The way he spoke what like how police talk to each other and the station on their walkie-talkie things. (Can you tell I have no technical knowledge on radios?). Then it went back to whitenoise. I turned the radio off and immediately back on and the original radio station was back. Very odd. But my friend DID live down the from a police station.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This thing that "just like Superman" said in a reply that I read in here on the libraries or huge amount of info was something about code or moorse code or hiding things or how to say things without saying things. His old Avatar had some young kid with blonde hair and a guy about 10 or 15 feet back and you could barely see him in the picture. I dont know if its still here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join